Aporkalypse and World hopping problems

5 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

Well I apologize, I didn't realize they removed the option to turn off the aporkalypse.

I've done it before and you can use pillars to knock down the the hidden doors. In fact, my first time doing it was with Maxwell. The aporkalypse started 10 days after I world hopped, which was just enough time to get a skyworthy, a gas mask, and a stocked up house. I didn't start looking for the aporkalypse calendar into after the aporkalypse started.

Surely you can backup such a claim, right? Either way, that's a semantic argument. Aporkalypse doesn't follow the same rules, which was my point and you seem to agree with it.

That's a contradictory statement. Giving you a 60 days on top of your RoG time completely trivializes it. By the time you reach Hamlet, you should easily have plenty of items to sell for hundreds of oincs.

[Game Update] - 322786

Release Date: 04/05/2019

Update Information:

Beta Specific Fixes:

• Can trade with pigs in all worlds
  • Ruin interiors should not be flipped on the horizontal axis anymore
  • Fixed various issues related to player interior crafting
  • Fixed a cause for mysterious cracks mysteriously opening themselves
  • Hidden doors no longer reveal when an earthquake happens in another room

-----------

same as you "just turn it off" claim...  

U can't anymore!! Pillars can't be used for opening cracks anymore. U need explosives!

I understand u like it the way it is but from what I've seen so far you are not playing for long worlds cuz you are not even following the beta changes... In SW and RoG u need to use the teleportato to get multiple horns... and that's gonna take u more than 61 days for sure

2 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Yeah, I did read it. If a player wants to link an established ROG world to Hamlet, how do they trade items for oinks if the Aporkalypse is in effect when they arrive there?

Either you didn't read it or you have trouble with reading comprehension. I specifically said "Giving you a 60 days on top of your RoG time completely trivializes it."  The very next sentence relates to that context.

1 minute ago, KilliasK said:

Either you didn't read it or you have trouble with reading comprehension. I specifically said "Giving you a 60 days on top of your RoG time completely trivializes it."  The very next sentence relates to that context.

Only if you assume that the person who links their ROG world to Hamlet intends this from the beginning of the ROG world and plans accordingly. Which is a big and unwarranted assumption. Anyone whose ROG world is older than 60 days—for whatever reason—effectively can’t link it to Hamlet.

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

[Game Update] - 322786

Release Date: 04/05/2019

Update Information:

Beta Specific Fixes:

• Can trade with pigs in all worlds
  • Ruin interiors should not be flipped on the horizontal axis anymore
  • Fixed various issues related to player interior crafting
  • Fixed a cause for mysterious cracks mysteriously opening themselves
  • Hidden doors no longer reveal when an earthquake happens in another room

-----------

same as you "just turn it off" claim...  

U can't anymore!! Pillars can't be used for opening cracks anymore. U need explosives!

I understand u like it the way it is but from what I've seen so far you are not playing for long worlds cuz you are not even following the beta changes... In SW and RoG u need to use the teleportato to get multiple horns... and that's gonna take u more than 61 days for sure

Did you read what you just posted? The doors aren't revealed when it happens in ANOTHER ROOM. As far as your other claim,

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

59A8C1106464F87A6F3C4A8B2B8424E53F812464

5591DC6ECB27225C5BE19CCE4DDCCC3D2FD9C137

If you check the bug report section, you'll see that I even posted bugs that have since been fixed, like the fact that splumonkeys had spider monkey drops. I can't show you my wilba save because the file broke.

5 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Only if you assume that the person who links their ROG world to Hamlet intends this from the beginning of the ROG world and plans accordingly. Which is a big and unwarranted assumption. Anyone whose ROG world is older than 60 days—for whatever reason—effectively can’t link it to Hamlet.

How is it unwarranted to ask people to do what I've done twice already?

13 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

Did you read what you just posted? The doors aren't revealed when it happens in ANOTHER ROOM. As far as your other claim,

If you check the bug report section, you'll see that I even posted bugs that have since been fixed, like the fact that splumonkeys had spider monkey drops. I can't show you my wilba save because the file broke.

most cracks don't show up in pillars rooms... that doesn't change anything xD.. your are gonna start to use explosives like it or not xD

17 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

What's the point of defending a not hard or challenging, but impractical and unfun part of the aporkalypse anyway? 

While you may not have any issues with the world linking problem, many players do have said issues as it really undermines the sandbox part of the game, making players obligated to rush a skyworthy. Heck, it even trivializes world hoping from anywhere into hamlet.

And for your other points:

While hamlet has all those trivializing mechanics that in a way, make the game easier, that's because the point of the game wasn't to create the same way of survival, they aimed to make it so you felt you were part of a civilization,  but still had to worry about sustaining yourself, and as hamlet doesn't have as much renewable food sources as the other two worlds, including one of the harshest surface biomes yet (deep/poison jungle) it does make it harder than vanilla and maybe RoG in some aspects.

Now as for the aporkalypse,  it's great that it poses a greater challenge than usual, but shoehorning it down our throats on our first arrival on hamlet is impractical and shows flawed game design that isn't based on how much you can adjust to a foreseeable challenge like summer or winter in RoG, but how fast you can turn off a mode that expects you to uncover your world in under 60 days without that headstart. So yeah, the aporkalypse timer should be a separate one.

TL;DR aporkalypse starting after world hoping isn't justifiable as players who jump in blind wouldn't be able to prepare accordingly.

28 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

Because some people have long-standing worlds they’d like to link, or start out thinking they don’t want to link to another DLC, perhaps because they haven’t decided whether or not they want to buy it yet, but then change their minds. 

2 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

While you may not have any issues with the world linking problem, many players do have said issues as it really undermines the sandbox part of the game, making players obligated to rush a skyworthy. Heck, it even trivializes world hoping from anywhere into hamlet.

No and no. Don't Starve is a survival game first and foremost. Sacrificing the survival for sandboxing only serves to harm the game as a whole. The two can coexist (as they already do) but survival should always come first. That has been the name of the game since day one. Also, I'll say it again, I've already hopped from reign of giants twice. The only challenge that even exists after that point is finding the aporkalypse calendar before it starts (or after it starts if you like to live dangerously).

It doesn't really matter if some players aren't up to the challenge. No game should have to bend it rules to ensure everyone can complete it. If you aren't up to the task, then get better or avoid doing it or use a console command to reset the calendar.

12 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

While hamlet has all those trivializing mechanics that in a way, make the game easier, that's because the point of the game wasn't to create the same way of survival, they aimed to make it so you felt you were part of a civilization,  but still had to worry about sustaining yourself, and as hamlet doesn't have as much renewable food sources as the other two worlds, including one of the harshest surface biomes yet (deep/poison jungle) it does make it harder than vanilla and maybe RoG in some aspects.

I never said anything to the contrary. I only pointed out the flaws in the other guy's argument.

13 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

Now as for the aporkalypse,  it's great that it poses a greater challenge than usual, but shoehorning it down our throats on our first arrival on hamlet is impractical and shows flawed game design that isn't based on how much you can adjust to a foreseeable challenge like summer or winter in RoG, but how fast you can turn off a mode that expects you to uncover your world in under 60 days without that headstart. So yeah, the aporkalypse timer should be a separate one

It's not flawed just because you don't like it. It's not shoehorned if the game is designed around it.

Just now, Rellimarual said:

Because some people have long-standing worlds they’d like to link, or start out thinking they don’t want to link to another DLC, perhaps because they haven’t decided whether or not they want to buy it yet, but then change their minds. 

So? I asked you how is it unwarranted to ask of you to do what I've already done. You not wanting to do it is not a compelling argument. If you don't like it, that's fine. That doesn't mean I'm wrong for telling you what is possible, is possible and practical.

19 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

So? I asked you how is it unwarranted to ask of you to do what I've already done. You not wanting to do it is not a compelling argument. If you don't like it, that's fine. That doesn't mean I'm wrong for telling you what is possible, is possible and practical.

So? Not everybody is obligated to play the game in exactly the way you do. You not wanting to do it their way is not a compelling argument for nobody else being allowed to do it. I never said it’s not possible or practical for someone to start out in ROG and hop to Hamlet in time to avert the Aporkalypse, but not everybody starts a run with that intention. And if you don’t like it, that’s fine.

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

So? Not everybody is obligated to play the game in exactly the way you do. You not wanting to do it their way is not a compelling argument for nobody else being allowed to do it. I never said it’s not possible or practical for someone to start out in ROG and hop to Hamlet in time to avert the Aporkalypse, but not everybody starts a run with that intention. And if you don’t like it, that’s fine.

I never said that anyone should play it the way I do. In fact, I've been saying the opposite over and over. Have you been reading the thread? Are you here just to mess with me?

I'd like to also mention, I'm not asking for the game to be changed. Klei decided the design the game in this manner and I've been playing around it. The only thing I've said anyone should do is play around it or avoid it. Nobody should have to play the game your way because you complained enough to get the devs to change it.

29 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

I never said that anyone should play it the way I do. In fact, I've been saying the opposite over and over. Have you been reading the thread? Are you here just to mess with me?

I'd like to also mention, I'm not asking for the game to be changed. Klei decided the design the game in this manner and I've been playing around it. The only thing I've said anyone should do is play around it or avoid it. Nobody should have to play the game your way because you complained enough to get the devs to change it.

Except they weren't complaining but just making a suggestion until you kind of unwillingly derailed the thread saying that it was fine as is. It's not a "remove the aporkalypse" thread it's a "tune this up" one. Because if anyone was unlucky enough to jump from their 200+ day RoG/SW world over to Hamlet without browsing the forums or the wiki, he'd be greeted by an uncomfortable surprise that could end a good run given he wasn't given any warnings or signs that the aporkalypse was coming,  it was just there. And that's the reason a separate timer should be added. 

If you don't agree with this, it's fine to express yourself and i kind of understand your mindset without agreeing, but do keep in mind that, (at least from inside this thread ) you're the minority.

Just now, JosePapp said:

Except they weren't complaining but just making a suggestion until you kind of unwillingly derailed the thread saying that it was fine as is. It's not a "remove the aporkalypse" thread it's a "tune this up" one. Because if anyone was unlucky enough to jump from their 200+ day RoG/SW world over to Hamlet without browsing the forums or the wiki, he'd be greeted by an uncomfortable surprise that could end a good run given he wasn't given any warnings or signs that the aporkalypse was coming,  it was just there. And that's the reason a separate timer should be added. 

If you don't agree with this, it's fine to express yourself and i kind of understand your mindset without agreeing, but do keep in mind that, (at least from inside this thread ) you're the minority.

I didn't derail the thread, I've been talking about the topic the most of the time. Disagreeing isn't derailing. Proving statements being made to be false, isn't derailing. I don't care if I'm the "minority" in this thread. Plenty of people who own the game don't post on the forums. Everyone who owns the game has to deal with changes made due to Klei listening forum posts for better and for worse. The entire reason I started posting here is because such a thing has happened before and I don't games being changed every time someone doesn't like an aspect. Recently, an entire character, who was featured in the trailer, was disabled because of complaints. I'd rather not have to keep dealing with such things.

21 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

I didn't derail the thread, I've been talking about the topic the most of the time. Disagreeing isn't derailing. Proving statements being made to be false, isn't derailing. I don't care if I'm the "minority" in this thread. Plenty of people who own the game don't post on the forums. Everyone who owns the game has to deal with changes made due to Klei listening forum posts for better and for worse. The entire reason I started posting here is because such a thing has happened before and I don't games being changed every time someone doesn't like an aspect. Recently, an entire character, who was featured in the trailer, was disabled because of complaints. I'd rather not have to keep dealing with such things.

Except he wasn't disabled by complaints, but because the devs didn't feel he filled up their own expectations.  It was said by Joe i believe,  I'll try to link the source.

If it was something like "nerf poison" or "give us overly complicated new mechanic" i'd agree, but this is feedback players are giving to change the game for the better by tweaking some things.

Don't starve may be a harsh survival experience,  an uncompromising one if you must, but it has never been an unfair experience, just a harsh one, as any roguelike should be. Throwing the aporkalypse on top of any misfortuned world hoper without any warning (as RoG or SW won't warn you about it) is unfair and thus, bad game design,  something that goes completely against klei and what has been seen before ingame.

But if you're willing to keep your perspective on the matter, that's fine! Just don't ignore what i said here. Good night pal!

Edit: my source for warbucks. Emphasize on his last paragraph.

32 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

arrive somewhere where it's literal end of the world.

screech because ''it's unfair'' when you could stop the end of the world.

It isn't fair though. In a regular Hamlet playthrough from the start, you already spent the first 60 days locating the calendar. When you world hop from RoG to Hamlet, you don't have 60 days to prepare, it happens the second you load in. You don't know the map, you don't know where the ruins are, you don't have any preparation and are going in blindly.

The ideal scenario for playing a  DLC merged world is to get from RoG to Hamlet and find the calendar in less than 60 days. Otherwise, you're going to have to deal with it the second you generate your Hamlet world.

That just doesn't seem intuitive at all. Most people are not going to want to prioritize getting to Hamlet if they don't have immediate plans hopping to it.

20 hours ago, JosePapp said:

Except he wasn't disabled by complaints, but because the devs didn't feel he filled up their own expectations.  It was said by Joe i believe,  I'll try to link the source.

If it was something like "nerf poison" or "give us overly complicated new mechanic" i'd agree, but this is feedback players are giving to change the game for the better by tweaking some things.

Don't starve may be a harsh survival experience,  an uncompromising one if you must, but it has never been an unfair experience, just a harsh one, as any roguelike should be. Throwing the aporkalypse on top of any misfortuned world hoper without any warning (as RoG or SW won't warn you about it) is unfair and thus, bad game design,  something that goes completely against klei and what has been seen before ingame.

But if you're willing to keep your perspective on the matter, that's fine! Just don't ignore what i said here. Good night pal!

Edit: my source for warbucks. Emphasize on his last paragraph.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we have threads calling Warbucks offensive then having the devs call him "culturally problematic" and removing him from the game rather than reworking him like Winona who was much worse.

On 4/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, KilliasK said:

I didn't derail the thread,

On 4/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, KilliasK said:

Recently, an entire character, who was featured in the trailer, was disabled because of complaints. I'd rather not have to keep dealing with such things.

Pick one.

Anyway, let's start from the beginning:

1. Don't Starve is difficult but fair.
  2. The game gives warnings about what is dangerous (Venomous animals are yellow, the swamp looks very creepy)
  3. The Aporkalypse is a dangerous event
  4. There is no warning for the Aporkalypse when coming from an RoG or SW world
  5. The Aporkalypse ignores precedent about other dangerous events and their warnings.
  6. Aporkalypse should be changed

Where does the logic break down?

Also your previous argument about how Hamlet is "different" neglects that danger and warnings are a core part of Don't Starve.

19 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

arrive somewhere where it's literal end of the world.

screech because ''it's unfair'' when you could stop the end of the world.

maybe you should read OP... like read it and not assuming this is "too hard pls nerf post" TL:DR

the issue is with new worlds in SW and RoG... cuz day count is synched

1 hour ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Just because of one mechanic that forces you guys to move to hamlet to prevent aporkalypse you screech.

even my depression which i hide from everyone gave up here

How would a player coming in blind know about the aporkalypse starting on plain day 60? He wouldn't know how to prepare or have any warnings coming from RoG or SW. But somehow, y'all seem to either miss or ignore that every time i or anyone else points it out

Archived