Request to Port Over Hamlet + SW Characters

2 minutes ago, Omaremad74 said:

That's what they are, 2 different games with different content.

DS would get DLCs while DST gets different free content. It's how they are doing it and that's how it is.

Maybe you didn't see the analogy in my post. This might help, I guess ill just quote it. 

12 minutes ago, Crimson Chin said:

That is like saying if I added a big update to a game I just made I can sell the older version of the game without the update and claim they are different games.

Lets continue this to what you are saying. Lets say both my games are out right now and I add some tiny different updates to both of them.  If we were going by what you are saying I could claim that these are two completely different games. But, deep down they are still the same game just with a few tiny content differences. 

Just now, Crimson Chin said:

Maybe you didn't see the analogy in my post. This might help, I guess ill just quote it. 

Lets continue this to what you are saying. Lets say both my games are out right now and I add some tiny different updates to both of them.  If we were going by what you are saying I could claim that these are two completely different games. But, deep down they are still the same game just with a few tiny content differences. 

SW, Hamlet and New reign seem like pretty big updates to me buddy.

7 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

Well, they are different in ways that make DST multiplayer and DS not. The Old Bell cannot be crafted in DST (anti-griefing reasons I think), the ghost system, Tell-Tale Hearts, cave generation, etc. Those are pretty significant differences.

6 minutes ago, Omaremad74 said:

Also DS has DLC's and DST got a new reign with klaus, beequeen, toadstool, antlion and much more. Seems quite a difference in content.

Alright, well I still think what I said applies to this too. These are tiny content updates. They are still the same game. These are minor tweaks and differences for multiplayer. They are not different games. DST is just a superior DS. Multiplayer alone is the only thing that might justify it being a separate game, but it will never not be the same game. I understand that there were technical issues about just adding multiplayer to DS, but now that the transition has been made I see no reason to continue supporting the lesser game.

8 minutes ago, Omaremad74 said:

SW, Hamlet and New reign seem like pretty big updates to me buddy.

You're entirely missing OP's point. Having DS and DST be seperate games divide their resources for no reason; even if they were to drop support for DS, players can still play alone in DST as they would in singleplayer. The only difference is now players who want to play with their friends can do so without lacking awesome content that, for some reason, one of the game's versions does have and the other does not.

As a side note, I can't count the amount of times I've recommended Don't Starve to my friends only to have them be confused on which version to get. "Huh? But why is there two of the same game on the store?" It's quite akward and honestly, the benefits of having them be seperate games do not outweigh the drawbacks by far.

I think we can all agree than SW and Hamlet belong to the single player and Klei seems to be part of that opinion than nothing but free DLC will be added to the multiplayer

But I don’t understand why should we have SW or even Hamlet characters for DST, those are : 

A surfer, a monkey, a pirate, an explorer (Never forgetti Warbucks), a princess of a pig kingdom and a plant

Yeah I’ve forgot to mension Warly cause he is the only one I can potentially understand (except that we have no exotic food in DST for his recipes)

what I mean is than none of them fit in the game. They’re designed in art and gameplay for their respective DLC and DST own a lore including every playable characters of the multiplayer, meaning they have skins, stats for events and a story

Not even a rework of their skills can fix the fact that they belong to the original gameplay. Personnaly I don’t want to play Woodlegs having the same skills than Wilson cause it will grow a beard and driving a "pirate bus" cause the ocean is just full of paper waves (and hell no I don’t want to shave Woodlegs D: ) or Walani turning into a skateboard 14yo girl.

So no, making such good characters into DST with nothing from their original gameplay is kinda pointless. You can already have mod ports of them and see be yourself they’re just some weirdo in a forest with spyglass

Also, there's nothing worse than giving the characters for DST to the players who own the two games and DLC, cause you make a difference between the two communities BIGGER than it was, players with no DLC have to pay for extra inappropriate characters (unlike Wortox than you can have for free)

Well that’s pretty much it, if you just wanted to play characters with downsides you can still play Wes, it is made for DST, free, and fit in the constent

35 minutes ago, ADM said:

I think we can all agree than SW and Hamlet belong to the single player and Klei seems to be part of that opinion than nothing but free DLC will be added to the multiplayer

Well, I don't think its mutually agreed that SW and Hamlet belong to singleplayer at all. There have been multiple posts over time asking for these things.....but, in my post I already explained that I'm not asking for that. Once again I have said I understand why SW is singleplayer. What I don't understand is why Hamlet is too. It was a DLC designed to be singleplayer, long after singleplayer died off. We made the transition to DST so it made absolutely no sense to me that we went right back to DS for Hamlet. Again... in this post I have explained other ways of monetization rather than just charging for the DLC. Look at my first reply for that.

35 minutes ago, ADM said:

But I don’t understand why should we have SW or even Hamlet characters for DST, those are : 

A surfer, a monkey, a pirate, an explorer (Never forgetti Warbucks), a princess of a pig kingdom and a plant

Yeah I’ve forgot to mension Warly cause he is the only one I can potentially understand (except that we have no exotic food in DST for his recipes)

what I mean is than none of them fit in the game. They’re designed in art and gameplay for their respective DLC and DST own a lore including every playable characters of the multiplayer, meaning they have skins, stats for events and a story

I have already replied to a similar criticism like this from Meuck, go check that out if you want.

37 minutes ago, ADM said:

Not even a rework of their skills can fix the fact that they belong to the original gameplay. Personnaly I don’t want to play Woodlegs having the same skills than Wilson cause it will grow a beard and driving a "pirate bus" cause the ocean is just full of paper waves (and hell no I don’t want to shave Woodlegs D: ) or Walani turning into a skateboard 14yo girl.

So no, making such good characters into DST with nothing from their original gameplay is kinda pointless. You can already have mod ports of them and see be yourself they’re just some weirdo in a forest with spyglass

Well now I just think you are underestimating the devs. These characters are done already and could easily be tweaked by the devs to fit into the game without changing who they are too much. There are other ways of adding perks to a surfer rather than making them into a skateboarder. Just like there are ways of fitting a pirate's perks into DST that doesn't involve shaving him. And lets take a look at Wortox. Hes a bright red fluffy imp who kills butterflies and steals their bright red souls, while normal looking Wilson watches in horror. He doesn't fit in much more than they would from what you are saying. Mods wouldn't compare to a tweaked version of that character either, even though I am of the opinion they aren't as out of place as you are making them out to be. I have also said in this thread that reworking these characters might be something they could do after all their planned content as of now is finished. Klei is creative and I know they could easily do this. 

45 minutes ago, ADM said:

Also, there's nothing worse than giving the characters for DST to the players who own the two games and DLC, cause you make a difference between the two communities BIGGER than it was, players with no DLC have to pay for extra inappropriate characters (unlike Wortox than you can have for free)

Hey man , I never said I was a fan of splitting up the communities in the 1st place. As I have said in nearly everyone of my posts on this thread, I don't think Hamlet ever should have been designed for singleplayer. None of these problems would be happening right now if this were the case. Neither do I think having two of essentially the same games up on the store looks very good. It gives more value to the DLCs and a reason to buy DS, and right now there is no reason to buy DS. Hamlet and SW being the only things, but again think about how confusing that is to new players. They might think of questions like why does this version of the same game have less content than this one? This was just a mere suggestion from me, there are other ways to port characters over from Hamlet + SW. 

59 minutes ago, ADM said:

Well that’s pretty much it, if you just wanted to play characters with downsides you can still play Wes, it is made for DST, free, and fit in the constent

Wow, that last bit about downsides. I don't like playing Wormwood because he has a brutal downside. I like him because his downside changes the way you play, all the while his perks give you new ways to deal with his downside. I thought i explained that pretty well in multiple posts on this thread, but apparently not. Wes is nothing more than a hungrier Wilson. I get none of the stuff I would like from Wormwood in Wes.

I think that porting over the dlc characters into DST with tweaked but still thematically appropriate abilities is far from impossible. If I may, I'd like to share some of the ideas that I've been thinking about. :wilson_flower:

Walani: This is actually the one that I've had the most trouble with. Really all that I could think of was to give our surfer survivor immunity to all the negative effects of wetness and rain, instead replacing them with bonuses. This could be sort of niche though considering the ways of intentionally getting wet without the aid of rain are pretty limited. So maybe by using her surfboard, (which would have a different crafting recipe of course) she could sort of just hop into ponds and take a little dip whilst using it as a floaty, increasing her wetness at a decent rate. To be honest though, it all still sounds kind of niche and weird to me.

Woodlegs: I tried to kind of imply this with Walani but I don't think there should be any actual sailing in the cardboard cutout sea of DST, there'd be very little use to it outside of crossing the rather short gaps in worlds. (Which Wortox is already good at) So sadly, Woodlegs would have to leave his beloved ship behind. Or maybe just most of it? What I was thinking was that he could have a sort of modified version of his boat's cannon with him. It would act like a deployable structure of sorts that one has to "man" in order to use. I imagine that attacking with it would work largely similar to how it does in shipwrecked, though likely without the aoe damage and having a limited number of uses before a new one needs to be crafted by him. In theory, I think that this manned turret sort of combat would somewhat relay on having allies or followers to distract your target while you blast away at them from a bit of a distance. In addition to this, I think that his Lucky Hat could also be utilized and work largely like it does in shipwrecked, causing those special x marks the spot objects to appear in a random location in the world after having worn it for a certain length of time which can only be dug up by a Woodlegs character. (Possible only for the specific player that spawned it even?) This would definitely need some adjustments though, like the amount of treasures you can spawn per hat and especially the loot that you can obtain from these treasures.

Wilba: Okay first let me say that I haven't even bought and played the hamlet dlc, so I'm really not qualified at all to be making suggestions for the piggy princess, but damn it brainstorming is fun! So here goes anyways, don't be afraid to poop on this one in particular if you want ha ha. To transition her royalty perks into DST, I think the best way would just be to improve her reactions with pigs in general. One way we could do this would be to allow her to befriend a pig by feeding them any kind of food, not just meats. Perhaps she could also have an improved version of Woodie's doubled befriended time perk where in addition to that, feeding them will result in the maximum befriended duration regardless of food value. Another thing that she might be able to do would be to have a chance to receive more gold from the pig king when trading items. As I said, I've never even played Hamlet so I don't think that I can suggest anything about her werepig transformation and I in general I feel like these suggestions would make her seem a little too much of a pig based webber, but it was still fun to think about!

I personally don't see SW or HAM characters ever being in DST, as long as the game still lives. 

Besides, there's a really good mod on the workshop that brings SW characters to DST, and the author does a good job in balancing them to DST. (Except for Woodlegs, he is more OP than wicker)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=697356989&searchtext=shipwrecked+characters

49 minutes ago, Canis said:

I personally don't see SW or HAM characters ever being in DST, as long as the game still lives. 

Besides, there's a really good mod on the workshop that brings SW characters to DST, and the author does a good job in balancing them to DST. (Except for Woodlegs, he is more OP than wicker)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=697356989&searchtext=shipwrecked+characters

Heh, thanks for sharing this. I didn't realize that somebody has already came up with ideas similar to my own! :wilson_flower:

Archived