No abyssalite lining?

Hey! Just started a new game after a few months break and there was very little abyssalite around my starting biome, is this a new thing? kinda worried my base will get toasted with heat leaking in from Caustic biomes^^´ Thanks for any help! 

Hi :)

10 minutes ago, jaramass said:

Hey! Just started a new game after a few months break and there was very little abyssalite around my starting biome, is this a new thing? kinda worried my base will get toasted with heat leaking in from Caustic biomes^^´ Thanks for any help! 

As far as I know, Abyssalite has 0.0 conductivity, so no matter what its temperature is, it will not transfer any heat to surrounding element. So, since there's Abyssalite, no matter the thickness, it will not transfer any heat.

Byyy !

7 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Hi :)

As far as I know, Abyssalite has 0.0 conductivity, so no matter what its temperature is, it will not transfer any heat to surrounding element. So, since there's Abyssalite, no matter the thickness, it will not transfer any heat.

Byyy !

Thats the problem tho, there is very little abyssalite around my starting biome to serve as an insulator. I'm not at home so can't get a picture of it sadly.

It's normal for there to be no Abyssalite between your starting biome and the neighbouring ones.  Usually, 'borders' are granite for the starting biome.  I can't remember if or when this changed, but I would imagine it's due to the fact that you need a level 2 miner to mine Abyssalite, and the devs decided that locking access to neighbouring biomes behind a level 2 skill was needlessly restrictive.

32 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Get two layers of insulated tiles around your base, with at least one of them being igneous rock as soon as you're ready.

One layer of insulated sandstone works just fine for the first 100 cycles. Later just pop some wheezeworts and you`ll be good. Note that sandstone is a better insulation material early as it starts at ~25oC compared to igneous 40oC+.

2 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Just wrong. See this thread posted by yourself for reasons why. 

The conclusion was that it`s better early on. Igenous beats it in the long run.

I just don`t want to convince a new player that he should rush a 2 layer insulation from the start of the game. I`ve been using single layers for a long time and it`s managable.

2 hours ago, nakomaru said:

After some tests, you don't even need double insulation or igneous at all. Single sandstone insulation and any non gas (e.g. normal igneous/sandstone tile, undug rock, water) will provide perfect insulation up to a 400K difference. Igneous is 550K. 

Against oxygen though, sandstone insulation transfers at a 5K difference and igneous at 7K. Either accept the loss or build two thick.

I actually didn`t know it`s enough vs rock on the other side. Anyway if i understood your numbers corretly 25oC sandstone will not transfer heat inside the base and if the base heats up above 30oC it will actually absorb some heat. Meanwhile 45oC igneous might heat up the base above 30oC even if there are 2 layers just by emitting it`s own heat. Compared to that the leakage from the outside biomes shouldn`t be much of an issue. I`m talking earlygame of course.

Later the base heating up from hot water in pipes is usually a bigger issue.

The doors will leak more heat then the materials you use for insulating your base, regardless of what material you use to build the insulated tiles or how many layers you build.

Besides, the only thing that the starting biome borders are things that are really not that hot - a 30 degree difference between starting and caustic really won't leak very much heat.

If you somehow border the magma or at least oil biome, then this is a discussion worth having....

Liquid air locks will still transfer heat, a lot more heat then will leak through insulated tiles made of any reasonable material.

Oxygen->crude moves a fairly large amount of heat. A liquid lock is just oxygen->crude->oxygen, which leaks a lot of heat. Double locks are just too big, and again, how much of a heat differential are you trying to prevent anyway?

It is a lot of movement on (slow)  ladders to get in and out of that one; the standard one is probably even better for that one.

My observation is that single layer insulated ceramic is enough to keep a volcano in a ice biome from causing any real damage over hundreds of cycles. Whether you can do better is a purely an academic discussion,  and player and dupe time should be the main factors to optimize for.

For that matter, my main LH2 tank is right next to the hydrogen rocket launch silo (900+ degrees) with a single layer ceramic -  the heat transfer is still neligible.

Anything that have wet feet is probably not even worth considering.

Archived