Some questions about Atmosuits..

Just wanted to ask a few questions about the atmosuits, just to see if anyone has tested these things before.

1) Can dupes in atmosuits use the Transit Tube system or are they unable to?

2) If resources fall into magma, can the atmosuit withstand the temperature of the magma to reach the resources in it or would it melt the suit?

3) Is it just me, or do dupes CARRYING atmosuits are unable to use transit tubes? I've tried for the longest time to move atmosuits but my dupes apparently refuse to use the transit tubes.

4) can the surface of the asteroid ever get so hot it can melt atmosuits?

Thats about all the questions I had about this topic. Thanks for helping!

The dupes can use transit tubes in atmo/jet suits but they take them off for the ride and then put back on (it`s probably beacause the suits are visually larger than the tube and it would look weird)

Atmo suits will melt in magma, jet suits might probably as well. Even if they didn`t they rise the scalding thershold to around 800oC so in 1500oC magma dupes will get sclded badly anyway.

An atmo suit being carried should be like any other item. I`m not sure why would they refuse to use tubes to carry the suits. Might be a bug though. I`ll have to test it.

Atmo suits are from copper ore, jet suits from steel. The surface shouldn`t get hotter than 350oC on it`s own. That`s way below the melting points of those. Unless your dupes decide to stand under a working rocket engine the suits are safe.

I've observed Dupes standing in rocket exhaust, and it doesn't appear to affect them. For that matter, Dupes don't get scalded by the CO2 or steam that comes out as well, even though it's 1000 C.

I've kept strictly away from the magma at the bottom of the map. I've observed Dupes wading through hot copper from a volcano (2000 C) in atmo suits with no damage, so I would not be surprised if they aren't affected by magma either.

3 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I've observed Dupes standing in rocket exhaust, and it doesn't appear to affect them. For that matter, Dupes don't get scalded by the CO2 or steam that comes out as well, even though it's 1000 C.

I've kept strictly away from the magma at the bottom of the map. I've observed Dupes wading through hot copper from a volcano (2000 C) in atmo suits with no damage, so I would not be surprised if they aren't affected by magma either.

It might take a while. The atmo suits have good insulation properties. I guess running throught magma or molten metal won`t hurt them unless they stay there for too long.

Surface heat shouldn't be a issue as the exosuit will be in a vacuum and will be perfectly insulated

However some heat may transfer if your dupes gather loose regolith and iron from the surface.  But not enough to damage the suits.

I don't think dupes care about the temperature of something they're carrying, even if they aren't in a suit. I've seen Dupes pick up 50kg of copper at 600 C or so with no ill effects, with no suit. I don't think carried objects transfer heat, either.

What causes problems, in my experience, is when a Dupe stores a hot object, and the object heats up the air. A Dupe passing by that storage will get scalded if the air temperature (not the storage temperature) is over 80 C. But only if the Dupe isn't wear an atmo suit, of course.

I don't know what the rules are for objects in storage exchanging heat with the or liquid around them. They do, but it appears there's a substantial insulation effect, since it takes quite a long time.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think it's like pipes. That is, the object in storage heats up the storage unit, and the storage unit heats the air. I think the storage with 600 C copper had heated up to 100 C, and the air temperature matched that.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:00 PM, Gus Smedstad said:

I don't think dupes care about the temperature of something they're carrying, even if they aren't in a suit.

Duplicants definitely take damage from hot debris, the object exchanges heat with the dupicants 

On 3/26/2019 at 7:00 PM, Gus Smedstad said:

I don't think dupes care about the temperature of something they're carrying, even if they aren't in a suit. I've seen Dupes pick up 50kg of copper at 600 C or so with no ill effects, with no suit. I don't think carried objects transfer heat, either.

I love watching a water lock with 36g of water on the top row vaporize because a dupe walks through with a 100kg chunk of 1500C copper. It can happen with petro as well, but that requires heating 350g (so less likely). Just build a tempshift plate (800kg) out of just solidified iron somewhere else, and your petro liquid lock will vanish as the dupe picks up hot iron. Haven't built this in a while, however this makes a U-bend liquid lock a little more safe. Of course, if you build a "teleport" across the tile waterlock, then you don't have to worry either, unless the gas on either side is small enough to rapidly heat up. My current favorite waterlock is actually the "waterfall waterlock", with teleportation built in to avoid the "sopping wet" debuff.

5c9c4a0908b05_Screenshotfrom2019-03-2722-13-31.thumb.png.58bd6b0492cab4978a7dcbf8a8c14693.png

You can make this thing as tall as you want, and keep air on each side separate. I think I'll start building them with lots of different color liquids, as they look pretty as well.  

I hope the dupes get a nice fresh smell from these as they walk by. I haven't tested this against "flatulent" dupes.  Hmm....  Sounds like my next base. 

Archived