Five Farm Ideas for DST

Some of you just enjoy beating the crap out of mobs, but I enjoy to use permanent structures to allow mass resource farm (plus, my game lags & can't perform proper kiting). Here are some I often use.

1. Feather farm
Turn catcoon into automated bird killing machine
Used materials : 5 seeds, feather hat, 6 rocks (for 4 walls), 1 cutgrass(to lure catcoon)
Pro : Cheap, not hard to make, best way to gather feathers without Wickerbottom's books & weapons
Cons : Catcoon falls asleep at least once a day, and can be slightly frustrating

2. Pig & Bunny Farm
An "oven" that can cook multiple pigs & bunnies within few seconds
Used materials : 2 fossils, 12 rocks (for 12 walls), 6 grass, 1 rot/carrot (bait), waterballon or ice flingomatic
Pros : Possibly cheapest & fastest mass slaughter farm.
Cons : Fire hazzard, Ice flingomatic can be costly (but don't we already have like one ice machine besides pig/bunny village?)

3. Mole Farm
Mole farm using cave duplication instead of expensive bundling wrap dupe
Used materials : Hammer, couple of rocks
Pros : Easy way to multiply moles for those who can't kill bee queen
Cons : takes 2 days for multiplying, much slower than bundling wrap method

4. Monkey Farm
Using monkey's curious george trait to kill them
Used materials : rocks (depends on how big the trap is), 1 bait (can be anything), 2 fossils, weapon/cane
Pros : Can safely dispatch multiple monkeys without much difficulty
Cons : Unable to build farm near the monkey pod as putting down bait is near impossible

5. Varg Farm
Turning Varg farm into hound factory
Used materials (in video) : 18 rocks (for 13 walls), 8 pinecones, 14 fossils, 1 lureplant bulb, panflute
Pros : If you know bit of kiting, you can get endless supply of teeth, gem & monster meat
Cons : It is not THAT cheap (though can be used indefinitely), and the danger exists, since you do have to kill hounds yourself

Here's an oven design I made a while back that can hold more mobs, and takes less effort to use. Those fossils and kindling in your design are unnecessary, as you can just use gates and light them to start the fire. You shouldn't be afraid of fire when using an oven, the flingomatic will put out everything as long as you've got good timing.

image.thumb.png.1196c1518e1b55566611329a2d8d78c0.png

I really like your bird farm design, but you're spreading a bit of misinformation about it in the video. The type of bird that spawns is not dependent on biome, it's simply dependent on turf. Moving a catcoon all the way to a grass biome is silly, when you could just put down some grass turf and get the same birds.

10 hours ago, BeliarBAD said:

like always very nice video. but burned trees despawn after few days

image.thumb.png.4afcf6f165bd87ba14633a538d4fdd92.pngimage.thumb.png.3a037045cfa2a78f34eebff569029448.png

no they do not (first one is days 1 & second is day 12), stop saying that on everywhere I put my video (EDIT: THEY WERE TELLING THE TRUTH YOU IDIOT)

well, it could be thing with your PC/console or something, but that definitely is not a case for me (EDIT: CHECK AGAIN YOU ARROGANT PRICK, THEY ARE RIGHT)

EDIT : OH CRAP THEY DO (had to skip ahead 100 days). Terribly sorry for how I replied without even knowing properly. I will make a comment on that immediately. Again I apologize for my ignorance

10 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Here's an oven design I made a while back that can hold more mobs, and takes less effort to use. Those fossils and kindling in your design are unnecessary, as you can just use gates and light them to start the fire. You shouldn't be afraid of fire when using an oven, the flingomatic will put out everything as long as you've got good timing.

I really like your bird farm design, but you're spreading a bit of misinformation about it in the video. The type of bird that spawns is not dependent on biome, it's simply dependent on turf. Moving a catcoon all the way to a grass biome is silly, when you could just put down some grass turf and get the same birds.

If that worked for you, good for you. In my case when the oven is too big, pigs and bunny often took longer to die (more places to run away), and caused the gates or other parts of the grass to burn out. But this was trying to do it in 1 go, without extinguishing with the oven and lighting it up again, so I guess your method works just fine.
I do know about the turf (it's specified well on the wiki that even player made turf can affect bird spawn), but I thought it would be common sense that you'd use the biome nearby, or take the turf from there rather than dragging the cat across the world, so I just didn't find need to mention it. Clearly I was wrong, so I'll put down a comment on my youtube video. Thanks

10 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

The type of bird that spawns is not dependent on biome, it's simply dependent on turf.

Biome is entirely dictated by the current turf. 

What JB said in the video isn't 'misinformative', but perhaps a little misleading, rather.

5 hours ago, NeddoFreddo said:

Biome is entirely dictated by the current turf. 

What JB said in the video isn't 'misinformative', but perhaps a little misleading, rather.

This is untrue. The game still has a biome system unrelated to the turf. This is why biomes like forests and grasslands have rampant world regrowth, while a desert (even if covered with grass turf) will only sprout one or two twiggy trees in the time it takes for a a decently sized forest to spring up in the greener biomes.

Biomes and turf are different, and have different mechanics.

Archived