"Flatulent" needs a change

I am sure this has been discussed countless times, but as we are in QoL now, I would like to bring it up again. As it is now, I simply refuse flatulent dupes, and many others seem to be doing the same. This clearly indicates that the mechanic does not work well as it is.

So here goes: The flatulent dupe is a pain, especially when in an exo-suit. Contrary to all reasons, the suit lets the natural gas out, causing numerous issues like killing vacuum, fouling hydrogen cooling atmospheres, etc. I propose to do one of the following:

1. Make exo-suits store the nat-gas and vent it only when the suit is removed. As a bonus, you can have the helmet bubble slowly go orange on these dupes.

2. Have an advanced research of "the cork" and a "dupe emptier" that allows controlled release in a specific place or into a pipe. Alternatively, the toilet could serve as place for this. 

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

2. Have an advanced research of "the cork" and a "dupe emptier" that allows controlled release in a specific place or into a pipe. Alternatively, the toilet could serve as place for this. 

What when dupe is full and no release station is in reach, will the cork pop out, or make dupe explode?

Honestly, I would prefer flatulent dupes not to expell natural gas, but instead a big amount of food poisonning germs (for example).

Or at least, as it was allready said before, having atmosuits that blocks natural gas the same way as carbon dioxide.

Suits should have internal storage keeping the produced CO2 as well as nat gas and expelling it around the dock when returned. The suits hold quite a bit of oxygen so they can easily hold the nat gas dupes are "producing".

On 3/16/2019 at 9:00 AM, Oozinator said:

What when dupe is full and no release station is in reach, will the cork pop out, or make dupe explode?

I see foresee a number of funny new animations! I think along side of "making a mess" would probably be fair to the poor natural gas producer, so have the cork shoot out and the dupe being utterly mortified by the sound (including red head and others pointing fingers) would work nicely. 

Flatulence is too binary in terms of impact. It feels as if you need either a critical mass of them to make the hassle surrounding them worthwhile, or just have zero forever.

I once did a playthrough where I rolled a dice to determine which of 3 printed dupes I'd take and Flatulence was by far the most expensive trait to deal with.

Archived