Is off-gassing slime economically viable?

The rate of sublimation is relatively low - a 1T ball will lose 15kg of mass at the end of 1 cycle under optimal conditions..Having run it through the sublimation math program thing I wrote in an unrelated bug report - it's always going to do this no matter how much mass there is.

It's a constant emitter at ~31.000... g/s, the game reports 41.7 because of other reasons, 0g/s...*

100kg gives the same result - 15 kg emitted. 10kg would evaporate entirely. In other words, after a slime ball increases just slightly beyond 15kg in mass, it's sublimation function doesn't behave the same way as other elements that off-gas similarly since the mass power factor has no effect - it's the only sublimator that does so at a predictable and constant rate regardless of how massive it is. In this regard, it really could be a viable source if planned out correctly.

Slightly less effective than polluted water at the same mass in a bottle for production volume - but it drifts off as the dirty water evaporates.. Slime definitely beats out polluted dirt for PO2 production. But, having said that, it is a constant emitter and at a set rate as well - it doesn't matter if you have 20kg, or 2000kg, it will always off gas at the same rate which may prove to be more manageable than some other sources.

I'll leave you with a revised copy of my sublimation calculator  if you want to use it for other things. all values are according to current model, but written in python, so, know what you're getting into. You can uncomment the values you want to test at the top from notepad, just copy the whole thing and dump it into a python terminal, or run it from IDLE, or the command prompt: dirtywater.py there's a note about slime in there next to it's values, so you can disregard the output for mass at the end of the cycle, the rate is constant.

*I didn't include slime values in the bug report - you can read about that bug report here if you like - there's something amiss with the averaging of emission for sublimating objects.

If the slime you fertilize with is infected then you'll release a bunch of slimelung if you dig up the plant.  

I always use disinfected slime in my shroom farms. 

I'd you are wanting it for o2, then running through a distiller is better (I think).  You can use the algae in an oxidizer or a terrarium, and let the polluted water offgas both.

I never get any dupe infected whit slimelung in my current gameplay. For slime disinfection i pass the slime trough an area whit chlorine over 5kg/ tile so no offgas...0 chlorine consumed and 0 germs. For mushroom i used slime in the middle game (cycle 200 - 500 max when i build my regolith no more wall and build my sweat  wheat farm)  and because a had to much sweat wheat i dig all the wild plants in the ice biom. Now.. I convert the slime whit 2 distillers and send the polluted water at my pincha pepper plant for supplement the toilets polluted water, and previous i was sending to one tumble reed for my future insulation needs, but i make many modification of my base because i relocate many things i the space biom (the hydrogen buffer reservoir, the natural gas buffer reservoir, the petroleum reservoir, the power generation zone, the LH and LOX generation and converted the gravitas facility in LH and LOX storage reservoir and launch pad for my 2 rockets. 

Next I think i will move my rocket launch zone, the petroleum reservoir and the hydrogen and oxygen generation where the actual  rocket launchpad is, I will build an automatic material sorting facility (only one type of material/ tile)

Yes, letting slime off gas is a great way to oxygenate your entire asteroid and reduce your need for exo suits. In fact, you can even use it as your main oxygen source if you're looking for an interesting challenge.

Just dig up 30t of slime or so and keep digging up more as that total gradually goes down. Don't even bother storing it.

Slimelung is easy to manage, just put up deodorizers everywhere. But make sure to set clay storage at a low priority.

You may also need a simple build for manufacturing sand.

20 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

While enjoying the ensuing conversation about the brick phase transitions, to go back to the OP's question, yes Offgassing slime is viable.

It maxes out its offgassing at 1.8kg/cell, which is the same way you can store/clean it until you want to use it.

The fastest, and easiest, way I've found of cleaning slime is using an ice biome and a decent amount of low volume compactors on some local granite.  Don't need to do anything special, any offgassing is typically cleaned up locally via temperature, and you can then use it somewhere else.  The trouble with this method is it has the same concerns as using rot, polluted dirt, or PH2O offgassing.  If you use it without filtering it via a deodorizer (which outputs at a defined heat value) you'd have to cool it twice.  If you don't filter it you risk a major contagion and you can't use it in exosuits.  In the case of PH2O offgassing in the cold you also risk freezing it.

Because there are generally so many other methods of producing O2 in the game I find slime most useful in early/midgame mushroom farms, and to store the majority of it in a cold biome once I find it.  Seal a door behind it so it doesn't just completely disintegrate once it hits pressure and let the local environment do the majority of the work for you, for free, and come use it when you need it.

Good idea storing it in cold biomes. I usually build some storage compactors at the bottom of slime biomes in the pools of polluted water and store it all there.

@0xFADE for you slime is gold. For me slime is a intermediary step between mushroom and sweat wheat, and a little more polluted water before i bring from space solid co2 for my carbon skimmer give me all the polluted water i need. What can i do in late game whit all my dupe trained as astronauts whit mushroom? They have a barbecue and pepper bread special diet :) 

There's plenty enough to go around... Most maps start off with something like 500t of slime to be dug up. Enough to farm a lot of mushrooms AND make lots of oxygen.

Here's one of my swamp biomes completely dug out and air purified. You don't need to do anything special to combat germs unless you're feeling fancy. Just make sure all PO2 that gasses off gets immediately sucked up by a deodorizer.

Notice there are only around 1,000 germs in the open air around the main path (ladder), there will be more in the diffuser area but dupes have no reason to walk there anymore. It's not enough germs for any dupes to drop below 100%.

Upsides to this: I don't need exosuits until I get to magma and/or space; On cycle 531 with 18 dupes I still have 60 tons of algae stored up and haven't needed to build an electrolyzer yet. Downsides: you'll have to manufacture sand until you can retrieve & cool regolith (also you MUST set clay storage to low priority)

image.thumb.png.4c2ef00d3286cc019ba399a28d4d26ee.png

image.thumb.png.a7b619ecdb7725fdb7c9b647bcadc05d.png

image.thumb.png.42da1e47796ae5e9f831e533ba329117.png

On 2/14/2019 at 8:43 PM, Soulwind said:

If the slime you fertilize with is infected then you'll release a bunch of slimelung if you dig up the plant.  

I always use disinfected slime in my shroom farms. 

I'd you are wanting it for o2, then running through a distiller is better (I think).  You can use the algae in an oxidizer or a terrarium, and let the polluted water offgas both.

I did that too however it can easily get infected if you ever dig up more slime. The farmer will go and pick up slime that's not in a chlorine room, gradually over time re-infecteing all your slimelung free slime. It happened on two worlds now, and the first time was when i learnt about the slimelung explosion. Needless to say i was a lot more careful next time.

On 16/02/2019 at 1:58 AM, avc15 said:

There's plenty enough to go around... Most maps start off with something like 500t of slime to be dug up. Enough to farm a lot of mushrooms AND make lots of oxygen.

Here's one of my swamp biomes completely dug out and air purified. You don't need to do anything special to combat germs unless you're feeling fancy. Just make sure all PO2 that gasses off gets immediately sucked up by a deodorizer.

Notice there are only around 1,000 germs in the open air around the main path (ladder), there will be more in the diffuser area but dupes have no reason to walk there anymore. It's not enough germs for any dupes to drop below 100%.

Upsides to this: I don't need exosuits until I get to magma and/or space; On cycle 531 with 18 dupes I still have 60 tons of algae stored up and haven't needed to build an electrolyzer yet. Downsides: you'll have to manufacture sand until you can retrieve & cool regolith (also you MUST set clay storage to low priority)

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.4c2ef00d3286cc019ba399a28d4d26ee.png

image.thumb.png.a7b619ecdb7725fdb7c9b647bcadc05d.png

image.thumb.png.42da1e47796ae5e9f831e533ba329117.png

You actually need exosuits or vitamin chews to do it if you play with miserable immunity though. (Immunity doesn't increase without vitamin chews).
It's boring how useless slimelung is on lower difficulties.

1 minute ago, avc15 said:

fair enough. I don't usually turn difficulty up, I'm more interested in just building things without sandbox or debug than a crazy survival challenge.

lol I think I'm the opposite. I do all my build testing in sandbox and then take them into my difficult survival games.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:54 PM, tzionut said:

@0xFADE for you slime is gold. For me slime is a intermediary step between mushroom and sweat wheat, and a little more polluted water before i bring from space solid co2 for my carbon skimmer give me all the polluted water i need. What can i do in late game whit all my dupe trained as astronauts whit mushroom? They have a barbecue and pepper bread special diet :) 

You need more decor etc if your astronauts get stressed from eating mushrooms.  Sleet wheat is also too expensive when you can harvest it passively by trying to keep those areas natural. 

1 hour ago, 0xFADE said:

You need more decor etc if your astronauts get stressed from eating mushrooms.  Sleet wheat is also too expensive when you can harvest it passively by trying to keep those areas natural. 

consider stuffed berries?  

Archived