Gantry Automation

22 minutes ago, ClarkOps said:

You don't need it anymore , just put a not gate on meteor scanner link to your rocket. Gantry will retract by itself when rocket takes off and will retract again when rocket lands. Easy Peez

no sure this is correct.  the detector turns off after the rocket lands and does nothing around take off.

the rocket automation has not been well implemented but there some complex work around depending on how you want to use rockets, how you want to manage refueling, how you want the astronaut to have access etc

23 minutes ago, chemie said:

no sure this is correct.  the detector turns off after the rocket lands and does nothing around take off.

the rocket automation has not been well implemented but there some complex work around depending on how you want to use rockets, how you want to manage refueling, how you want the astronaut to have access etc

Here's my automation on my QOL2 playthrough , it works for me and it's plain easy.

Automation Rocket.jpg

This is what I currently use.  The scanner on the left is for the rocket detection.  The logic makes sense if we work it from the rocket.  This rocket is fully automated.

The upper logic is from the capsule.  It knows when the rocket is ready.  It activates a few things. The right side filter is a delay to launch to rocket to open the doors and make sure the fuel pipes empty before launch.  The middle vertical filter delays the gantry for 5 seconds before it retracts, in case I want to kick out the astronaut because of a misclick or something.  It also isolates the circuit from rocket landing signals.  That feeds into the NOT gate, to retract the gantry. That line is also part of the circuit that heads up into the OR junction to have the silo doors open, even if there's an asteroid event.

On the left is the landing logic. It also links into the door opening circuit for the rocket, but it uses a buffer to isolate its circuit to go down to the refueling system.

5c5ddb00f1788_RocketAutomation.JPG.70138890e088bf06dd75c4f3442b8808.JPG

The refueling system is rather simple.  There's an atmo switch on it so I can turn it back on in case I need to add in more fuel for other flights.  It uses a NOT + BUFFER AND link to only have the refuelers start working after a rocket landing signal turns back off, meaning the rocket just came home.  Using a pipe detection component knows when the pipe has filled the fuel tanks and can stop pumping.  The right side automation wire that leads off screen is just for a different fuel system.  This one in particular runs my LOX, so over on the right is the petro.  Same logic, just repeated.

5c5ddc15de36c_RocketRefueling.JPG.ace0bd326c05fe5613a2a2cb7584bbae.JPG

14 minutes ago, ClarkOps said:

Here's my automation on my QOL2 playthrough , it works for me and it's plain easy.

Automation Rocket.jpg

but what happens when the rocket takes off?  the gantry will still be in place unless they changed the rocket detector which only goes positive in coming?

1 minute ago, chemie said:

but what happens when the rocket takes off?  the gantry will still be in place unless they changed the rocket detector which only goes positive in coming?

For me as i said when rocket takes off gantry will retract, this change has been implemented since QOL1 i think.

Here's proof of a Rocket taking off, see by yourself.

Automation Rocket Proof.jpg

@ClarkOps Apologies, they've changed the scanner logic.

@chemie I just ran through a test, Clark is correct.

Removed my existing logic for gantry openings based on rocket readiness:

5c5de34066a81_GantryTest-RemovedAutomationforliftoff.JPG.6a8b52307d44c45fa413c1311f38097e.JPG

Gantry opens as expected during landing.

5c5de34c57454_GantryTest-LandingEvent.thumb.JPG.844d6dd141793690ad045743ddefbb38.JPG

The rocket lands, takes about 30 seconds to flip the scanner back off, and then I refueled it.

5c5de38aaf914_GantryTest-Rockethaslanded.JPG.f808d8a82c5ff07be1f542d057b97a10.JPG

5c5de392dfad8_GantryTest-20-30sgantryclosed.JPG.28a3c67e756778cc558e8edbcdb0a2ae.JPG

5c5de39b14ce7_GantryTest-RocketRefueled-waitingforlaunch.JPG.7b894a38bed0fb3e50dd90e1e18f17ed.JPG

Once the timer kicks down and the rocket starts launching, it pulls in the gantry because the scanner for landing is now active again.

5c5de3c3b94c8_GantryTest-Liftofftriggered-scanneractivated.JPG.f1bed0243564a9b733850f679fdb0a9a.JPG

The problem(s) with this is going to be getting your bunker doors opened before the rocket goes past, so you'll still need a delay between rocket ready and launch for doors opening, but the gantry doesn't need to be on that circuit, the scanner will handle it.

The rocket scanner will stay active until the rocket is offscreen again, way above the no-build zone.

Hmmm. So simple... I have to test this.

By the way. A question. Dosn't the rocket scanner need free sight? Or does it benefit from the network?
Also your normal meterorite scanners seem to have a bad scan quality?

I didn't know they work through mesh tiles. This is valuable information... :)

3 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

The problem(s) with this is going to be getting your bunker doors opened before the rocket goes past

I think it isn't a problem. The rocket dosn't start when the path is obstructed. I think

Just now, ClarkOps said:

Rocket Scanner for rocket does not need free sight so it can detect incoming rockets even when there's a meteorite storm as the bunker door whould be closed.

Damn. Than not only my automation but my whole silo layout is overengineerd... Good thing is: I get my steel back when tearing everything down....

1 minute ago, fjw said:

Damn. Than not only my automation but my whole silo layout is overengineerd... Good thing is: I get my steel back when tearing everything down....

The real challenge with rockets is to manage the heat from them since vaccum does not allow heat transfer.

2 minutes ago, fjw said:

The nice part of your over engineering is the rocket scanners still add to your scan network quality for the meteor detection system, so they're not wasted.

On 2/8/2019 at 6:02 PM, biopon said:

The detector has an active signal during takeoff as well.

So I tested this out.  Just having a scanner (of the rocket detector mode) control the doors.  It works for landing fine.  The detector does go positive on take-off but only when it is already taking off.  However, it wont take off with doors closed so you can't have the scanner open the doors without using the rocket command automation output (as far as I can tell).

So how are you using the scanners signal on take-off?  I assume you are leaving the doors open and therefore tied into meteors instead?

3 minutes ago, chemie said:

So how are you using the scanners signal on take-off?  

It's redundant during takeoff. It's important to know that it is active during that phase though. But you can tie the scanner line together with the takeoff signal, as well as the ready signal to make things simple.

1 minute ago, biopon said:

It's redundant during takeoff. It's important to know that it is active during that phase though. But you can tie the scanner line together with the takeoff signal, as well as the ready signal to make things simple.

sure but that is not what was shown above by clarkops which prompt the discussions.

1 minute ago, biopon said:

Yeah that's odd. You guys can't both be right. :)

Looking at it again, he does have it also tied to the meteor scanners so the door would be open so, like you said, on take-off it is not doing anything.  I was just surprised because I never noticed it went positive on take-off and thought it might make things much easier so tested it out but nope.

Archived