Gantry Automation

Rocket & Gantry automation is quite straight forward now.

However at least in my game, occasionally the rockets would destroy the bunker doors while landing if a meteor shower was currently occurring.

Does anyone know how to prevent that without a water clock or similar over engineering.

Seems like not everone has the problem so I am wondering why my scanners (1 per rocket) are not working consistently during meteor showers (obviously no direct sight towards space).

My best guess is that you need 100% scan quality while I am at 96% and have been to lazy to fix it. 

2 hours ago, Mullematsch said:

Rocket & Gantry automation is quite straight forward now.

However at least in my game, occasionally the rockets would destroy the bunker doors while landing if a meteor shower was currently occurring.

Does anyone know how to prevent that without a water clock or similar over engineering.

Seems like not everone has the problem so I am wondering why my scanners (1 per rocket) are not working consistently during meteor showers (obviously no direct sight towards space).

My best guess is that you need 100% scan quality while I am at 96% and have been to lazy to fix it. 

Is the automation connected to your meteor scanners?

8 hours ago, bleeter6 said:

Is the automation connected to your meteor scanners?

I haven't found that the ship scanner needs to be connected to the same automation network to get the meteor scanner network benefits, but I'm not sure what the exact condition is.

11 hours ago, Mullematsch said:

Is it still at 96% while the shower is happening, or does it drop to near-zero when the bunker doors are all closed?

I haven't found a clever way of protecting scanners during meteor showers, so there's a small percentage of breaking your bunker doors when the ship scanner has a bad roll of the dice while the meteor scanners are hiding under bunker doors that you pretty much just need to deal with at the moment. See also:

2 hours ago, shanemadden said:

I haven't found that the ship scanner needs to be connected to the same automation network to get the meteor scanner network benefits, but I'm not sure what the exact condition is.

Is it still at 96% while the shower is happening, or does it drop to near-zero when the bunker doors are all closed?

I haven't found a clever way of protecting scanners during meteor showers, so there's a small percentage of breaking your bunker doors when the ship scanner has a bad roll of the dice while the meteor scanners are hiding under bunker doors that you pretty much just need to deal with at the moment. See also:

What I meant was that the meteor scanners might be overriding the rocket scanners and closing the bunker doors.

I'd like to come back to this topic, primarily because the new automation for the rocket landing which now includes take offs means it starts up the refueling system unnecessarily.  We have lost a way to detect landing, and the only landing, of a rocket.  Weight automation doesn't trigger based on if the rocket is sitting on it.  If you're not doing research nothing automatically drops to the ground. 

How are you folks dealing with refueling and a rocket only having a landing trigger, or are you just letting the takeoff cycle for a bit on  the missing fuel tanks?

Unless this has changed in the preview, I would just take the output of the space scanner (detecting the rocket is returning and opening the bunker doors) to enable after a delay a liquid shutoff for x amount of time (however long it takes the rocket to get fueled). 

13 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

I'd like to come back to this topic, primarily because the new automation for the rocket landing which now includes take offs means it starts up the refueling system unnecessarily.  We have lost a way to detect landing, and the only landing, of a rocket.

A solution might be launching the rocket instantly when it`s ready and putting a filter for the launch period. Additionally make meteor detection stop refeueling as well as you can`t start with the doors closed. Then when you detect the rocket it should be only for landing. Not perfect but doable.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

A solution might be launching the rocket instantly when it`s ready and putting a filter for the launch period. Additionally make meteor detection stop refeueling as well as you can`t start with the doors closed. Then when you detect the rocket it should be only for landing. Not perfect but doable.

Possible, but there's so many quantum concerns with automation right now I'm not sure I'd trust it.

14 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

Possible, but there's so many quantum concerns with automation right now I'm not sure I'd trust it.

Yeah, it works if you buffer the rocket green checklist signal to determine whether the scanner is signaling a launch or a return. See:

and fjw's first implementation of the idea:

My qol2 base has finally scratched its way up to space, so I'll take a crack at my own variation soon.

I just tested it out on the latest branch of QOL2 and i have a single detector with a roof and 0% signal quality. It sent a signal detecting an incoming object at 92% mission progress to a 10,000 asteroid. The doors were open by 94%. This makes the whole process much simpler now because during launch you can use the command pod signal and on return the detector can open and close the doors for you. Now, if it's still variable and it could open late at 100% i need to do further testing,

9 hours ago, Xuhybrid said:

I just tested it out on the latest branch of QOL2 and i have a single detector with a roof and 0% signal quality. It sent a signal detecting an incoming object at 92% mission progress to a 10,000 asteroid. The doors were open by 94%. This makes the whole process much simpler now because during launch you can use the command pod signal and on return the detector can open and close the doors for you. Now, if it's still variable and it could open late at 100% i need to do further testing,

Your scanner should show the amount of time that it'll detect objects within - I'm guessing yours is showing 1-200 seconds, which better math people than me can get more specific on, but I believe gives you a 5-10% chance of smashing your doors on any given rocket landing.

19 hours ago, shanemadden said:

Your scanner should show the amount of time that it'll detect objects within - I'm guessing yours is showing 1-200 seconds, which better math people than me can get more specific on, but I believe gives you a 5-10% chance of smashing your doors on any given rocket landing.

Makes sense. Sounds like it's still variable then. It's about time i actually setup a scanner network, now that the off-screen bunker doors are finally fixed.

Archived