Map Strategy

Here is a map tip that might help people have a more stable start to their games.

One thing I do is I always start a game with a cartographer run. I only collect enough materials and food to survive and spend most nights running with the torch, following every road. (It appears that when a road ends, it marks the end of the land. An end of the road seems to mark a dead end on the map).

If I find points of interest, I will reveal more of that map (beefalo, wormholes, wooden thing, reed swamps, pig towns (especially if there are bush farms), pig king, graveyards, spider biomes, bee biomes, etc). After I am content with what I find, I go to my map, zoom out and screencap. I then promptly kill myself and retry (when you retry it uses the same map) for a serious run.

Example of my cartographer run (+ photoshop):

Posted Image

This way, I know where everything is, and I can beeline straight for the resources I want first to have a stable base as soon as possible.

Fortunately on this map. The graveyard had a wormhole that went fairly close to the Pig King. I was able to dig a ton of graves and then run to the wormhole and cash out for about 2 stacks of gold in one go.

also, if you are looking in a position that you might die, quickly open your map, zoom out, and screenshot. If you have photoshop, you can then layer your new map over your old one and erase the fog of war from one or the other to combine both maps.

Edited by hqeq umop apsidn
figuring out how to post images

You had me at hello, but lost me at

I then promptly kill myself and retry (when you retry it uses the same map) for a serious run.

it would be time better spent to not restart but do another world and map it again and again and again until you find out how the random world gen system works so you'll have a better idea what landmarks to look for when building that perfect base.Tips for scouting out the perfect base location as fast as possible. Edited by blitz4

You had me at hello, but lost me at

it would be time better spent to not restart but do another world and map it again and again and again until you find out how the random world gen system works so you'll have a better idea what landmarks to look for when building that perfect base.

Tips for scouting out the perfect base location as fast as possible.

The idea behind this strategy is to map out exactly where all the resources are to optimize your first few days. So you can hopefully get up to alchemy tier and starting turbo farm plots by day 2.