My father's critique on the miner/Farmer house

image.png.28fdd3adf234f49c8cc483703459ab1c.png

(sorry, couldn't find a transparent on this)

The other day, my father was looking through my Don't starve reference book and took notice of the architecture as shown above. So I watched him doodle his ideas and after he explained, I asked him to write down his commentary so I could post it here:

image.thumb.png.467750f25b45b6b534ef6f5e6babdaac.png

I find the design of the stone house interesting. That there is an overhang of the attic is different of a stone building as this would be more like a house using wooden beams. Those two buildings are more typical of stone construction.

He was fine with the official design but he still wanted to comment.

6 hours ago, MWY said:

I guess the devs are too lazy to make it look architecturally appropriate compared to soo many other things in the game that are just unnatural...

My father said he doesn't have a problem with the art, he was just making observations. I also liked his drawing and wanted to post here. Though thanks for commenting.:wilson_smile:

7 hours ago, MWY said:

Ah yes I understand, but I guess the devs are too lazy to make it look architecturally appropriate compared to soo many other things in the game that are just unnatural...

wait my hands aren't scribbles, They are just sticks with fingers :D  

Gyah, I wouldn't say Klei is lazy, I don't think they are ever really lazy, just caught up.

However, a pure stone house is odd, but nothing to bother me much. I simply wish that the darn farmers would bloody farm.

Looking at you, Gerald.

I shouldn't worry about that much about@minespatch. I agree I never saw such stone house before (pig architecture:)) but it seems you and your father may have not seen older gables, didn't you? It may be a possible explanation how the farmer house COULD stand. Here in Germany we would call it Schildgiebel - shield gable I think. Otherwise, like what your father said, if I can recall correctly from my travels there are house types with an "overhanging attic" in south France and Spain. Of course their old houses have much shallower roofs and I think the overhang should prevent the uncommon rain from reaching the limey and calcerouse housewalls. Hope I could help you.

9 hours ago, axxel said:

? It may be a possible explanation how the farmer house COULD stand. Here in Germany we would call it Schildgiebel - shield gable I think. Otherwise, like what your father said, if I can recall correctly from my travels there are house types with an "overhanging attic" in south France and Spain.

Thank you.  My father replies with "it is most likely due to houses in that time period  and area missing/lack of wood to work with". He does not disagree with your comment. I appreciate your polite reply.:wilson_smile:

I think the perspective of the house doesn't allow to see what's under the roof. I am fairly sure the house should have wood beams. It's not the typical timber framed house you may see in middle Europe but I doubt the farmer pig house doesn't have any wood. To me, Klei should have use a barn design - this one looks like a grave diggers house :). Mmmm gravedigger pig should be a good suggestion.

Archived