Room/Base BluePrint system.

I want to suggest a system, that you can add to the game that will allow people to share/upload/download/save/load/past blueprints through an in-game and main menu system, this system would be used to save designs of rooms or bases or orders so that you can tackle the creative aspect a lot easier, base building more conventionally and efficiently, as well as allowing for a more solid permanent progression for players who spend the time to perfect blueprint designs which would allow for much more smoother game play over all, as you would be able to use blueprints in future versions of the games and to change the designs as the game develops, and to see who could make the best designs, or keep it all to yourself to see how amazing you can get by yourself from solo self found blueprinting. 

many other games out there, that are creative games, have such a blueprint system in place, whether its through mods, or through the vanilla default of the game, my hopes is that the vanilla version of this game will get a blueprint save system so that i can play this game a lot easier and enjoy it much better, as the reason i'm suggesting this to begin with is because i just cannot have fun without such a system, as i know, that no matter what i do in the current version of the game, will not be saved in any form so i cant just reuse a previously established design that worked for me so i can continue it later and work on it in a new version of the game, that and i cannot manually copy old things for it takes far too much work and is not fun to do.

i hope someone in the dev team takes this suggestion, because i mentally,cannot play the game without it, i don't have the patience to start from scratch every time, and i have memory issues, that and i really really love tinkering with things and making blueprints.

the easiest way that i can think of, for setting up a system like this and how to select a place/room would be through 3 area selection system options, i thought of these yesterday night when i inevitably rage quit the game due to the very reasons i'm posting this suggestion.

1. A Square/rectangular selection style, click and drag release selector, kinda like how if you were to use the mining orders or other orders and how those are a square/rectangular shape when you click drag release, except for instead of an order, is for blueprint save selection.

2. A more Precise individual tile selector, to select rooms that aren't square/rectangular or are of an irregular shape that is touching another room, to where the square/rectangular selector would not work.

3. A Room Selector, a selection tool that selects the general shape of a room, not selecting the walls but only selecting the content in the room and the empty space, so the area of the room color in game essentially.

after selecting the area, regardless of what selection too you use, you would have the option to save it as a blue print, to use for future play through's and/or paste more rooms like it else where in the base in your current one, and/or upload it so others can download it, and look at it or use it for their play through's, or try to improve it with their own improvements and re-upload it. (selects everything made by duplicates and any empty space selected is saved as a mining order, so that you can more easily paste the blueprinted rooms/base parts in land full areas where there is not supposed to be land.)

thank you for your time you took to read this and hear me out, i hope that someone can get back to me and i eagerly await your thoughts on this, i hope that you can make a system like this, and that it isn't too hard to make if you decide to try to make it as part of the vanilla game, let me know what you think bout this idea, is it good, is it bad, and how much this will help the game, especially in terms of Quality of Life, as i feel a system like this would be both a feature and a Quality of Life improvement.

thank you again, and stay happy friends~<3 i love your game, and hope it succeeds, have a nice night or day. depending on when you read this that is, i hope to talk soon, cya for now.

I was just about to post this! This would also help some of the less hardcore players get decent systems in place if they choose to.
I personally would use this feature to look at what other people are doing and try to repurpose their systems into my own designs which would be fun as F!

6 hours ago, Nightspawn said:

I was just about to post this! This would also help some of the less hardcore players get decent systems in place if they choose to.
I personally would use this feature to look at what other people are doing and try to repurpose their systems into my own designs which would be fun as F!

i'm happy you feel the same way, i'm glad to not be the only one thinking about this

4 hours ago, Serennus said:

It's a wonderful idea! Many systems can be saved and aplied in other bases. I'm just create an account here to suggest the same function.

wow for reals? that's honestly sweet, i wasn't expecting this to tickle peoples interests so much, i'm happy that it is, i would love to see this suggestion be used at some point.

6 hours ago, LeftyRighty said:

so the suggestion is the sandbox mode copy/paste system in the non sandbox game? 

not exactly, the essentially a save/load/paste system you could use anywhere, for any game mode, while following the rules of the game mode your in, so if you want to save a blueprint, you first have to make it, if you want to improve a blueprint, just change the room up in any game mode, and save it as a new version or over right the original one, you made yourself or downloaded, with your own changes, you can load and paste for later.

so in specific game modes it would work like this:

Sandbox mode: Blueprints can load and paste where ever you want them, without the need for resources or build time, kinda like debug mode, and completely without the restrictions and demands of survival mode, as sandbox is essentially creative mode, which would make for a perfect "on-paper" style blueprint creation.

Survival mode/Non-Sandbox mode: Rooms will load and paste where ever you want them, but it requires you to have the resources and research required to make or use the stuff, and requires that you duplicants can reach it and actually build it, since this is the real game, it would make for the perfect "in-practice" style of blueprint improvement, problem solving, learning, and personal research.

so in short, it would be a much better version of copy/paste system, because it will be able to be used in all game modes, it will have a save and naming system, can be exported and imported easier, would potentially have online support would make the game much more accessible to many other people, will give people ability to learn the game easier and be inspired to try to make their own blueprints to see what they can make and do, and i think over all would make the game much funner for people over all, as some people do like the idea of being able to have a solid progression that they can keep, that they can tangibly use and access in a current new version of a game, and not just some picture and an overly detailed wall of text.

in general a blueprint system would help with people who learn by hand and work, and not by lecture, video, or text, while also being much simpler for people in general who do learn from text, lecture and video, as it will give them the ability if they wanted, to actually see a design perform in person, and actually be able to interact with it themselves, without needing to use an imported base save, but instead being able to use within their own controlled testing environment within their own sandbox through the loading and pasting of that room, to be able to see just how flexible and far the designs can go, and to see if they could make some kind of upgrade or improvement, to make it more complex and efficient, than already is.

there are really many reasons why i am suggesting a blueprint system, so i hope this clarified quite a bit of it for you and others.

I hope this idea is picked up, i'm playing the game a lot lately, though, not doing very much, im just trying to make out manual labored plans for my own blueprints later.

high hopes with prepping heh.

so what i'm doing is creating the rooms, and then when they are fully made, i take pictures of them through steam's screenshot thing.

i haven't tried to see if i can take screen shots of when i'm in the ventilation, power, plumbing, and other UI's and weather or not steam's screenshot thing would be able to take pics of that.

so if it works, by collecting all that data manually i can do manual labor blue print stuff until the more in-game and convenient method is added.

and then when it is added, ill go into creative mod and just splat everything i learned into it, saving them as blueprints through the in-game, and then sharing them and posting them into the online blueprint data base.

12 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

We are getting QoL mk2 soon. Mk1 introduced a copy feature for buildings. Maybe the next one will expand on the feature and allow for copying whole rooms, who knows?

I have started to use the "B" hotkey to copy individual buildings. Then one day, out of now where, I pressed and held the "B" button as I attempted to select an entire room to copy. And ... nothing.

Unfortunately it didn't work, but I think this may be a way to allow players to copy sets of buildings/rooms at once. The copy feature is already in place, we just need to expand it to multiple buildings, pipes, wires, ducts, etc.

Sorry @Kareekoe, I didn't read your walls of text, but I really appreciate your enthusiasm :)

i'm suggesting a blueprint system, but a local game copy and paste system isn't a bad suggestion to go along side blueprint system.

they would work so well together.

i think a local game room copy and paste system would help a blueprint system as they would actually go hand to hand very well together, when you have both in the game it makes the game much faster, as apposed as just one or the other.

i think its great to have both.

well ill leave it up to the devs to choose which one to make first, my hopes are on the blueprint system first and then the local game copy and paste system, but i know the local game copy and paste system would be probably much easier to make, so likely that will be first and blueprint system second.

Yes this type of thing, i'm pissed i need to painstakingly look at screen shots to re-produce my favored layouts, with material selection options id be very happy. Worse yet having to later work in space for crossing utilities when i have already done that on my last 300+ day game >,<

Archived