Switching battery setup?

Does the switching battery still work? I am talking about this: a borderline exploit that allows you to connect a 1200W refinery via a regular wire.

I've tried it and my wire is taking overload damage left and fight, even though my buildings are never connected directly to a generator or transformer because of the power shutoff logic.

Has this been fixed?

27 minutes ago, M.C. said:

I am talking about this: a borderline exploit that allows you to connect a 1200W refinery via a regular wire.

which segment are you taking about

5b489d8ca02e8_switchedbatteriesinaction.

if you mean this one, it still works. but firstly it's not an exploit, and secondly it doesn't allow you to connect a 1200W refinery via a regular wire.

3 minutes ago, M.C. said:

I called it an exploit because -- supposedly -- the normal wire never overloads because batteries alone don't count as the power source for the purpose of overload calculations. Am I wrong?

If I remember correctly, what you're talking about was to be able to run a 1.2kw item on only a single small transformer. (Transformer would supply 1kw to the aquatuner/metal refinery/whatever on the first tick and would recharge the battery on the other 4 ticks. Charged battery would supply the missing 200w) Pretty sure you still needed to use conductive wire though. 

45 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

If I remember correctly, what you're talking about was to be able to run a 1.2kw item on only a single small transformer. (Transformer would supply 1kw to the aquatuner/metal refinery/whatever on the first tick and would recharge the battery on the other 4 ticks. Charged battery would supply the missing 200w) Pretty sure you still needed to use conductive wire though. 

Hm. So I've misinterpreted the whole thing I guess. Oh well. Time to go back to transformers...

switch battery replaces transformer with a wall effect, but it protects the power supply side not the usage side since its the load the causes damage.  You can run effectively 10kw on 1kw wire supplying switched battery packs, load sides exceeding 1kw require appropriate wire

6 hours ago, M.C. said:

I called it an exploit because -- supposedly -- the normal wire never overloads because batteries alone don't count as the power source for the purpose of overload calculations. Am I wrong?

Yes but using that is far from an exploit. A battery switching grid is just a different, decentralized style and it comes with its own challenges and inefficiencies. It is a tradeoff between flexibillity and material cost (battery switching) vs. simplicity and control (central HW grid). I personally prefer the latter so I don't use decentralized grids.

Switching batteries still work.But Metal Refinerys always have to be connected with a 2K wire.

You can use SBs to make that 2KW line as short as possible.

This setup should work, although I´m not sure, if it´s what you were asking for.

20190118181754_1.thumb.jpg.fded9dfec8e552abfc3ddf8d110decb8.jpg

Only the lower end of PT´s or SPT´s are supposed to be connected to the 1K wire. Do not connect any consumers to this wire.

If you use a SPT, your refinery might run out of power every now and then and interupt the current workorder.

The smart battery on the right side is set to reload on 5% charge

20190118181826_1.thumb.jpg.0c108f7a9ceab2f098a19220d7ccd201.jpg

20190118181842_1.thumb.jpg.7dd38261e248682d48eb885e4604d4e2.jpg

8 hours ago, clickrush said:

Yes but using that is far from an exploit. A battery switching grid is just a different, decentralized style and it comes with its own challenges and inefficiencies. It is a tradeoff between flexibillity and material cost (battery switching) vs. simplicity and control (central HW grid). I personally prefer the latter so I don't use decentralized grids.

If your average load were always under the wattage of wire you use, then I would buy that argument.  But the main point of battery switching is to run multiple kW over cheap wire, is it not?  If batteries contributed to wire overload, you could still do battery switching, but it would become much less compelling.  And that's how you know it's an exploit.

Archived