Meteorpocalypse?

Reading through old threads, I see a lot of complaints about meteor storms destroying your base.  I understand that they now don't start until you've breached the space biome, but I just did that a few cycles ago, and am now wondering if that was a mistake, given that I have less than 1t of steel lying around.  Is it still true that they will slowly destroy everything layer by layer until I protect the surface?  I have a lot of other side projects I want to finish before rushing steel.

Would be great if the mafic layer mostly stayed stable...looks pretty thick to me so far, but I will have much less fun if I am forced to deal with it right now.

The biome destruction happened a few upgrades ago. Recently they upped the amount of regolth tiles spawned while reducing their mass. While the meteros still seem to hit before you reach space the regolith created is now enough to protect the surface. In my current base where i made a partial steel shell before the change now the unshielded parts are protected by 8 layers of regolith.

Mostly a non-issue now, although some biome destruction can still happen. I recommend getting to the surface by cycle 300-400 just take a look. Best case, everything is fine, worst case, you have to plug a few holes or weak spots.

10 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Just a nice fact:

If your regoltih layer is below 8 tiles the amount of new regolith will increase ;)

Interesting, I missed that. Well, in that case, there is probably no need to rush to the surface anymore. The only advantage of getting there early would be that the initial cover will not have heated up.

1 minute ago, Gurgel said:

Interesting, I missed that. Well, in that case, there is probably no need to rush to the surface anymore. The only advantage of getting there early would be that the initial cover will not have heated up.

Don't forget free presmelted iron ;)

1 hour ago, GemeinerJack said:
1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

Don't forget free presmelted iron ;)

=> I like to breach the surface early and hope for some resources to accumulate till I "really" use the space biome

In my new game i breached the surface at 235 cycle and finish the wall of at 286 cycle. No damage and tick layer of hot regolith. Now i move all the shove vole for get rid of the 1200 tones of regolith (and i didn't dig all yet)

On 1/16/2019 at 7:43 AM, jfc said:

i'm past cycle 1000+ and haven't covered hole space with steel yet cause no point since it's super slow now

Same here. I have just my rocket area covered so i can work there but it's not necessary to cover space.

Archived