Robo Miner shielded

You could put automated doors at the bottom of your silo and open them to let the regolith fall to your robo miner. This way your robo miners would not be in the silo and can be in vacuum or not.

8 minutes ago, Oni Noob said:

Any tips how to shield the robo miner from the heat of rockets? I was using robo miner to mine debris thats blocks my rocket but the rocket makes it super hot when it got launch. I am already using Therium for the robo miner

1 minute ago, Christophlette said:

You could put automated doors at the bottom of your silo and open them to let the regolith fall to your robo miner. This way your robo miners would not be in the silo and can be in vacuum or not.

The problem would still persist, because the rocket launch itself applies heat to, what, 6 tiles below it as it travels?

2 hours ago, Oni Noob said:

image.thumb.png.772489f140ec217619ef43677d40cb8a.png

This is the base of my rockets, I made it higher but still not enough to escape from the heat

First and most important problem i see: Auto miners suspended in vaccuum, they produce heat by themselfes and need liquids or gasses to get rid of the heat, at least if i remember correctly. So, they can't cool down no matter what, even without rockets, they will overheat at some point.

And to just give you an idea:

Spoiler

20190111123514_1.thumb.jpg.e2620e6a1f2220b9a51ac076b314b0a6.jpg

6 hours ago, Arcus2611 said:

Put it in a sealed room behind a door; set the door to close when the outside temp gets too hot and only open it when the rocket silo has cooled down.

I tried this but apparently robo miners can`t mine through doors even if they are open.

4 hours ago, GemeinerJack said:

First and most important problem i see: Auto miners suspended in vaccuum, they produce heat by themselfes and need liquids or gasses to get rid of the heat, at least if i remember correctly. So, they can't cool down no matter what, even without rockets, they will overheat at some point.

Hide contents

Hmm ill try this one Thanks

5 hours ago, GemeinerJack said:

Reveal hidden contents

How do you prevent the liquid from heating up to boiling point?

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

How do you prevent the liquid from heating up to boiling point?

It is cooled down via radiant pipes behind the robo miner and below in the metal tiles and it far enough away, so that only the steam from the engines touch it. The main heat of the rocket launches gets absorbed by the hugh wall of metal tiles (between the insulated insulation tiles) and feeds a steam turbine.

The liquids gets cooled down to 20° before freezing or so and since petroleum can heat up to something around 450°C, so i have room for a lot of heat from the steam of the rocket launch. But i should probably change it to super coolant if i got some to spare... The base is still not 1k cycles old...

This seems to be working for me, the Robominer is initially heated up by the rocket gas, but as the heat is absorbed by the heat sink, the gas finally cools the Robominer before it forms a vacuum.

This has survived without repair for dozens of launches so far without glitch.  I haven't installed the liquid cooling for the heat sink (bottom-right) either, so the temperature of the heat sink has risen to around 400c.  So, I'm sure that if this can survive without cooling, then the Robominer will almost definitely be ok when I do install the cooling.  The Robominer is currently peaking at around 750c and then cooling back down to around 650c.

I need to remove an insulated tile from the right, next to the pressure sensor at the moment, so that access to the junk at the base of the platform can be cleared from both sides, as it's only accessible from the left.  (Why do I want access to junk???)

image.thumb.png.81524fb747073959859e362ec1f20dea.png

1 hour ago, Craigjw said:

This seems to be working for me, the Robominer is initially heated up by the rocket gas, but as the heat is absorbed by the heat sink, the gas finally cools the Robominer before it forms a vacuum.

This has survived without repair for dozens of launches so far without glitch.  I haven't installed the liquid cooling for the heat sink (bottom-right) either, so the temperature of the heat sink has risen to around 400c.  So, I'm sure that if this can survive without cooling, then the Robominer will almost definitely be ok when I do install the cooling.  The Robominer is currently peaking at around 750c and then cooling back down to around 650c.

I need to remove an insulated tile from the right, next to the pressure sensor at the moment, so that access to the junk at the base of the platform can be cleared from both sides, as it's only accessible from the left.  (Why do I want access to junk???)

image.thumb.png.81524fb747073959859e362ec1f20dea.png

This looks awfully familiar..

Archived