Health Bars for Mobs & Damage Indicators

I think this would be a nice, small addition to the game. Because other mobs have health, right? And so do the players.I'm not really sure what else to say. Maybe the weapons should have a damage stat in the crafting menu to show how much damage the weapon is capable of doing? (1-10, 6-8, etc) Just an example on damage indicators/health bars I made on Paint :p I actually have no clue if Beefalos have a specific amount of health, I'm just guessing here. :p It's my first time uploading a picture, so it might not even work :/post-10885-13764591386342_thumb.jpgEh, it's small, but at least it showed up. I hope everyone can see it all right.-Puny

Edited by PunyMan9
Verification

I would like it to be optional. I kind of like not being able to see the health of enemies, adds to the tension during fights a bit, not knowing when it will end. Just a simple setting in options "Health bars: on/off" would be fine though. The only other issue I see with it is it would look very clunky in say, a horde of beefalos. Maybe perhaps a more compact system like Terraria would work? Where you would see the HP of a mob only when hovering the mouse over them, e.g "47/60hp".Also, on the topic of bars, I made a similar thread here.

• Developer

We've actually been trying to avoid adding non-player-focused UI elements. Wilson isn't supposed to fully understand the nature of the world that he is stuck in, so it wouldn't make sense for him to have access to this information. I also feel that it would undermine the game's visuals. I could picture a craftable late-tier science hat that, when equipped, reveals detailed statistical information about the world. Kind of a peek-through-the-matrix kind of thing :)

I was thinking exactly the same.....:biggrin-new:I think we don't need health bars. Why, you want to know if the Treeguard or the Tentacle is one Strike from dying shortly before they slay you? Just keep hitting them till they fall to the ground!Although I would like to gain some informations about creatures and world. But I'm not sure if ingame is the right place. Perhaps if you win the game once you can unlock something?

The health could be displayed in a slightly different way (well, entirely different). Have the mobs 'look' damaged when you attack them. Like how rocks start to break apart when you mine them. So if you've attacked a beefalo, maybe one of the horns looks broke, or the hair becomes a bit mesed up. Then at least you have a display of how much health it has left (you'd need to remember what each damage level looks like though) without too many health bars.The problem with this is that all the creatures will then need several (probably loads) more sprites or whatever to show this.The idea of seeing health when you hover over the mob sounds a bit better though. Or maybe one where it displays health when you attack a mob?But I like the idea of some science hat that shows info. It could also say whether beefalo are mating, the age etc (although it is obvious, but just to add to the sciencey studying of things lol)