Mod Advice

Usually in terms of mods, I only use the ones that give “quality of life” changes. Things like Item Skins, Display Food Values and Geometric Placement. I try not to use any cheaty mods that make the game easier (backpack slot, 99 item stacks). I am about to hop over to a brand new RoG world, but I have an issue I need to settle first. Like I said, I don’t like to use mods that cheat the difficulty of the game. BUUUUUT, I recently found one called “Wrath of Giants” that really increases the difficulty of the bosses, and rightly so due to the fact that all but Dragonfly are very easy. I want to know what people’s opinions are in this mod. Do you think it is cheating? If it is, I don’t want to use it. All honest opinions are appreciated.

P.S, would you mind giving your opinions on this mod as well? I am contemplating using it when I eventually link my SW world.

35 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

I want to know what people’s opinions are in this mod. Do you think it is cheating?

this topic comes up time and time again in different forms and tbh I don't get why people need approval to try out mods.. specially in a single player experience

mods are about making the game fun for U... so only U can dictate what's fun or "cheating" for yourself.

What are you gonna do if some elitist tells u it's cheating to use that mod, even if it makes the game harder? Are you gonna stop using it?

Just try them out and form your own opinion based on your own experience. U don't need approval for that. 

Me personally, I enjoy mods that make the game challenging and also QoL mods... I also enjoy cosmetics cuz they are cute.. but again it's my personal take on things...

Both those mods seem very fun so... enjoy and be happy :)

it's a game after all

To start: Im a player similar to you. I play wes 100% of the time, i know how to kite perfectly all the bosses and i never use any mods that make the game easier or change the way its played (I even dont use display food values because it made me play too "perfectly")

I think most bosses are hard enough for the casual crowd and even some good players but im always looking for more challenge. I do agree with the mods but some of the stuff make the fights more taxing than anything. Also certain stuff like health regen is hard to see when there is no health bar or anything to see its effects.

Positives:
New attacks, new abilities

Negatives:

Some stuff can be hard to predict and the whole game is about knowledge and reacting to things. I like that it diversify some bosses but you don't want many bosses to have long ranges attack (like spider queen) because long range fighting basically doesn't exist in Don't starve. So to evade a long range attack, they either need a really narrow range or a big "warning" and that makes it incredibly easy to dodge.

In the end: Use mods you think add fun to the game. Harder settings are far from cheating imo.

24 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Usually in terms of mods, I only use the ones that give “quality of life” changes. Things like Item Skins, Display Food Values and Geometric Placement. I try not to use any cheaty mods that make the game easier (backpack slot, 99 item stacks). I am about to hop over to a brand new RoG world, but I have an issue I need to settle first. Like I said, I don’t like to use mods that cheat the difficulty of the game. BUUUUUT, I recently found one called “Wrath of Giants” that really increases the difficulty of the bosses, and rightly so due to the fact that all but Dragonfly are very easy. I want to know what people’s opinions are in this mod. Do you think it is cheating? If it is, I don’t want to use it. All honest opinions are appreciated.

P.S, would you mind giving your opinions on this mod as well? I am contemplating using it when I eventually link my SW world.

Personally, i don't use any kind of mod or/and console command, but that is my personal take and way to enjoy this game. If you enjoy using mods, i don't see any reason to stop doing it. Just try it and then make your own conclusions.

Dancing Tree

When I read it, it came to my mind a fornite dance. :D

Funny thing is both of those mods were made by my close friend, and honestly I found them to be a total blast to use! He always mentions to me that he wants it to be a fun, and not totally impossible experience, which I feel he did an excellent job at.

From my point of view, I say go ahead! Shoot for it and use the mods, it is your playthrough, afterall. If you want to, go ahead! Mods are meant to be fun and/or enhance to game.

Spoiler

Also I do believe he mentioned making it compatible with Hamlet once he gets back into modding and nabs the DLC. So that's neat.

So I tried out the buffed bosses, and they are really fun. The only problem I have is the Quacken. The Quacken has REALLY been buffed. We’re talking a whopping 12000 HP, more densely packed tentacles and the fact that it ACTUALLY UTILIZES it’s ink ball attack often. But I kind of feel like I’m cheating because of the loot it drops. Does anyone think that this loot is FAIR for the major increase in difficulty?

1 Thulecite Suit (100% Durability)

1 Thulecite Crown (100% Durability)

50% chance of either Thulecite Club or Trident (both at 100% Durability)

~10 Nightmare Fuel

~15 Orange Gems

1 Lazy Explorer (100% Durability)

The Quacken Beak and Iron Key (Obviously)

I really don’t like when bosses drop loot that is too good or powerful, but how does the loot above seem for a 12000 HP challenging boss fight?

43 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Does anyone think that this loot is FAIR for the major increase in difficulty?

1 Thulecite Suit (100% Durability)

1 Thulecite Crown (100% Durability)

50% chance of either Thulecite Club or Trident (both at 100% Durability)

~10 Nightmare Fuel

~15 Orange Gems

1 Lazy Explorer (100% Durability)

The Quacken Beak and Iron Key (Obviously)

I really don’t like when bosses drop loot that is too good or powerful, but how does the loot above seem for a 12000 HP challenging boss fight?

the loot seems a bit too much IMO, but loot tables are always a bit difficult to balance

I recommend you to bring this to the modder first and suggest if he can create a loot config menu with options that range from generous, balanced, kinda lacking.. or something like that

or u can ask how to modify it for yourself :) 

Archived