When will the game leave early access?

Ironic, weren't you the guy that filled the forums with spam about how hamlet was a bad idea and how they should work towards dst instead?

But getting on topic, I'd expect it to leave EA around February to march of 2019, as QoL isn't gonna be the last update iirc.

12 hours ago, JosePapp said:

Ironic, weren't you the guy that filled the forums with spam about how hamlet was a bad idea and how they should work towards dst instead?

But getting on topic, I'd expect it to leave EA around February to march of 2019, as QoL isn't gonna be the last update iirc.

No, I was the guy who thinks it's dumb to segregate content between two different games. I have nothing against DLC, so I have no idea what you're on about. 

It irritates me that apart from the paid DLC, there's no reason to play the core DS game because all the new content goes to DST. It's just stupid that you can't have simple things like fences in singleplayer, there is literally no reason for that to be exclusive for multiplayer.

For some reason, people have trouble understanding that. Not sure how idiots like yourself can't comprehend something as simple as that. 

Be a bit more respectful next time please.

7 minutes ago, ucw said:

Where did I read the date was April 2019?

Not sure, Steam says December, but I assume that's wrong?

4 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Not sure, Steam says December, but I assume that's wrong?

If memory serves, Klei made an announcement that the December date was delayed and they were giving themselves until April for the "real" release of the game.  Reasons included the amount of work they want to do to make the game incredible (best. game. ever.) and the additional time was necessary.  I also recall the statement that individual developers were falling ill (send nettles) and with holidays and such, they just felt it was best to extend the deadline.  

Personally, I think it's better to extend a deadline and the do then best job possible, rather than rush a deadline and produce a final product that is lacking.  

47 minutes ago, ucw said:

If memory serves, Klei made an announcement that the December date was delayed and they were giving themselves until April for the "real" release of the game.  Reasons included the amount of work they want to do to make the game incredible (best. game. ever.) and the additional time was necessary.  I also recall the statement that individual developers were falling ill (send nettles) and with holidays and such, they just felt it was best to extend the deadline.  

Personally, I think it's better to extend a deadline and the do then best job possible, rather than rush a deadline and produce a final product that is lacking.  

Totally agree, just wasn't sure what the deal was. 

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

Hamlet seems like a lot of new content to me.

You're missing the point. I don't get how people struggle with this.

Before Hamlet was announced, I was struggling with how to play DS and DST. I prefer DS because it's designed for singleplayer and it's actual permadeath, but DST has all the quality of life and boss updates, making DS pointless.

So after complaining a lot, I finally gave up... I said **** it and considered DST as the official game and just let DS die as an outdated piece of crap. A lot of people were saying that DST was like a sequel, so fair enough. I moved on.

Then they announce Hamlet...for DS. 

Either abandon DS completely or give it all the updates. I don't wanna go back to DS, because it's missing half the stuff of DST. I don't understand why they can't just have a quality of life update for DS. It's just so simple and yet they refuse to do it.

2 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I don't understand why they can't just have a quality of life update for DS.

That's exactly what the upcoming update for Hamlet is all about...

Also, I'm pretty sure that I've heard for a lot of times that multiplayer games are far more expensive to make than singleplayer, and have a higher risk to fail. The singleplayer version thereby would have the advantage that the same amount of content takes less time and effort to create, and thus more truly innovative ideas can be realized and the devs can allow themselves to experiment a bit more. If I'm correct about that assumption, being restricted to a multiplayer version would've prevented some truly amazing features from ever being released.

1 hour ago, Lepeightl said:

That's exactly what the upcoming update for Hamlet is all about...

Also, I'm pretty sure that I've heard for a lot of times that multiplayer games are far more expensive to make than singleplayer, and have a higher risk to fail. The singleplayer version thereby would have the advantage that the same amount of content takes less time and effort to create, and thus more truly innovative ideas can be realized and the devs can allow themselves to experiment a bit more. If I'm correct about that assumption, being restricted to a multiplayer version would've prevented some truly amazing features from ever being released.

That's a fair point.

3 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

That's a fair point.

Also, most of the dst exclusive content  (save from beefalo taming and fences ) is directed to multiplayer, this includes the bosses, which are designed in a way in which you either need exploits or company to beat them or structures like the lazy deserter. I believe both games even run on different engines which makes porting stuff around much more difficult 

27 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

(save from beefalo taming and fences )

Literally all I want (ok, a few other things too, like grass geckos, canaries, larva eggs).

27 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

which are designed in a way in which you either need exploits or company to beat them or structures like the lazy deserter. 

Yeah, but these could be re-balanced easily (there's mods that do this). Also, some of the bosses are manageable solo.

8 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

You're missing the point. I don't get how people struggle with this.

People struggle with it because you perpetually move the goal post.

11 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

t irritates me that apart from the paid DLC, there's no reason to play the core DS game because all the new content goes to DST

My remark about Hamlet being a lot of new content was in response to this. Why should paid DLC be disqualified as new content? Also, because it’s possible to link worlds between DLCs, many players are indeed returning to the base game. 

It seems likely that fences and gates will be part of the QoL update, but if they aren’t, the devs have already stated that they coded DST differently from the ground up and that DS uses a different, older and more cumbersome underlying architecture. The fact that no one has been able to produce a functional mod bringing fences, with their diagonal placement, to single-player is a strong indicator that it isn’t as simple as you think it is. And of course you really have no idea how simple (or not) it is. This is an old and by now boring argument. If they can find a way to make fences and gates work in single-player, then I’ll be delighted. 

On 31/12/2018 at 2:01 AM, Rellimarual said:

People struggle with it because you perpetually move the goal post.

My remark about Hamlet being a lot of new content was in response to this. Why should paid DLC be disqualified as new content? Also, because it’s possible to link worlds between DLCs, many players are indeed returning to the base game. 

It seems likely that fences and gates will be part of the QoL update, but if they aren’t, the devs have already stated that they coded DST differently from the ground up and that DS uses a different, older and more cumbersome underlying architecture. The fact that no one has been able to produce a functional mod bringing fences, with their diagonal placement, to single-player is a strong indicator that it isn’t as simple as you think it is. And of course you really have no idea how simple (or not) it is. This is an old and by now boring argument. If they can find a way to make fences and gates work in single-player, then I’ll be delighted. 

I feel like I've always been consistent with this, but in case I wasn't clear:

The goal for me has always been to be able to access everything in one world. That's it. All the bosses, all the DLC, all the quality of life updates, all of it in one save file. Rather than splitting up content between two games, making both of them feel incomplete (for example, people get upset that Shipwrecked isn't in DST)

But that's just me. And yes, I get that DST and DS may not be compatible for the reasons you mentioned. I get it. However, I can't help but feel that if DST had never been a thing, all the updates we got for DST would have gone to DS and would have been tailored for an incredible single-player experience.

They once promised to make the best singleplayer game they could make. I feel like that got sacrificed once DST came to light.

I agree with the fences, but i don't see the toadstool or the bee queen properly working in vanilla DS without reworking them entirely, even if they're manageable solo, because that still doesn't justify the fact that they just weren't designed for that. 

Same could be said about Shipwrecked and Hamlet, but on the other side of the coin; they can't be properly ported to multiplayer without compromising some real neat mechanics or completely reworking them. 

And before you blame it on dst, keep in mind dst wasn't even planned at the begining, they just did it because it was incredibly requested and out of love for their fans. Your reactions are just the butterfly effect of that. But if you think about it, hadn't dst been a thing, i don't believe hamlet would have even been created because it came as a response to upset singleplayer fans.

So pal, we already got the point on the 4+ copy pasted posts once HAM was anounced, we totally got it now, and QoL is coming soon, so i guess Klei DID listen to you in a way. Your initial point for this thread was already answered,  and it's been derailed enough. (I guess I'm kind of guilty of that) so i hope you finally understand your point was taken into consideration through the QoL update and accept it doesn't really help you much to periodically rant in here, even if you, in a weird way have a point. 

Archived