Rockets destroy animation wires

Hey, am i the only one having to remake a good portion of my animation whenever i launch a rocket. sometimes the wires connecting to the bunker doors, and always the wires connected to the cockpit. Its not a huge problem, but it means i have to pay a lot of attention to my rockets, instead of just letting them do their thing. If someone has a workaround please let me know. 

It depends on the material that you build the wires with. This is basically how the entire game works. Stuff will melt, evaporate, freeze and condense at certain temperatures.

Spoiler

74146eeba066d5077bf8bdbdcafc4c2d.jpg

So for iron wires it is somewhere around 1534 °C and for steel somewhere around 2426 °C.

Example screenshot of melting temperature:

Spoiler

item_details_e2.jpg.845ac65e7cfad8fb34d8

Since rockets output something around 1600°C, they will eventually overheat anything with a lower melting point than iron (including iron).There are a couple of materials with higher melting points that you can use the first that come to mind are steel, nobium and termium. All of which are pretty late on the tech tree (still not much later than rockets).

Another workaround would be to build as few automation wires within the area of your rocket silo and to cool the automation down when no launch is going on.

One guy made a thread about wires getting melted when made out of steel and even thermium. I think tungsten is the only safe material to build the wires. Apparently the max temperature the exhaust can achieve is capped so that exhaust can`t melt the abyssalite tiles (that have the same melting point tungsten has iirc).

2 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

One guy made a thread about wires getting melted when made out of steel and even thermium. I think tungsten is the only safe material to build the wires. Apparently the max temperature the exhaust can achieve is capped so that exhaust can`t melt the abyssalite tiles (that have the same melting point tungsten has iirc).

"Abyssalite tiles"?

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

I meant the natural abyssalite uder the space biome. Some players might not want to destroy it to keep shove voles on the top of the map.

Fair enough, but finding a map with abyssalite across the whole surface is rare.

thanks for all the replies, for some reason I thought the animation wires would somehow be exempt from melting/overheat dmg, because they don't feature an overheat temperature in their description, but I forgot to take into account that the metals they are made from might actually melt. man, this game is great! 

On 12/26/2018 at 4:53 PM, chemie said:

Rocket destroys ladders that are close, tiles on the base of engine, wires.  since it destroys granite ladders, I don't think it is a temperature melting thing

Granite has fairly low melting temperature. Even mafic rock is better!

When I build in vacuum for my rockets I use steel for my wires/automation (tungsten is always too far and it takes forever to get it...) and obsidian for pipes. With pretoleum engine no problem so far, but for hydrogen I don't know... too lazy to condense hydrogen right now.

8 hours ago, fstorehaug said:

but I forgot to take into account that the metals they are made from might actually melt. man, this game is great! 

It is pretty impressive. Usually detailed simulations are boring and games are grossly lacking in detail. Klei managed to find a compromise that works very nicely. 

Archived