Request for Developers for the Hard of Hearing

ucw

Request for Developers:  So, I'm *very* hard of hearing -- late defeaned adult.  Also, I don't use screen shake becaue it makes me sick.  (okay, I'm a mess lol.)  Anyway, DS is great because we usually get visual cues along with the audio cues, for example, before hounds come Wickerbottom (she's my gal) says, "Something is coming."  Awesome -- thank you.

I died in Hamlet recently when attacked by an iron giant body part.  I didn't register any visual cues or warnings such as the character saying something.  (maybe it was there and I just missed it?) I would be appreciative if the developers could consistently have the character say something as a warning before danger comes.  I know there was an audio cue (weird music) as my son and spouse confirmed.  

Thank you for your consideration.  

When an iron hulk activates, lightning will strike it and it will take a second to boot up. This should briefly darken the screen, giving you a warning even if the hulk itself is offscreen.

Iron Hulks spawn when the world is first generated, they have a map icon, and will not activate (even during a thunderstorm) unless the player is nearby. As long as you're aware of your surroundings, they shouldn't be able to sneak up on you.

Hamlet seems to be a bit different than our standard DLC, and I'm sorry for your hearing, I have terrible vision. Respect for putting up with it, though!!

Yeah, Iron hulks are very tricky, and the only true thing to kind of sneak up on someone here, (Bats have shadows the character's comment on them, Roc has its shadow, and the rest usually stick to themselves.) so you've got to keep an eye out, and keep popping that map open. 
Armor should help in almost all cases with the Hulks, here's a tip: The Head and Leg jump giving you a second to dodge, while the arm and chest charge up, again, small window but it's there. And I think they glow red, I hope this helps you in the future, though!

1 hour ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Hamlet seems to be a bit different than our standard DLC, and I'm sorry for your hearing, I have terrible vision. Respect for putting up with it, though!!

Yeah, Iron hulks are very tricky, and the only true thing to kind of sneak up on someone here, (Bats have shadows the character's comment on them, Roc has its shadow, and the rest usually stick to themselves.) so you've got to keep an eye out, and keep popping that map open. 
Armor should help in almost all cases with the Hulks, here's a tip: The Head and Leg jump giving you a second to dodge, while the arm and chest charge up, again, small window but it's there. And I think they glow red, I hope this helps you in the future, though!

It was at night, and I know(?) the music changed due to my family confirming.  Didn't know why, though.  So, it seems there was an audio cue but no automatic visual cue.  Of course, I can keep popping that map open during storms, and I thank you for the advice and will do so.  But if there is an audio cue there should be a visual, as well.  

Sorry for your vision, it seems we all have our challenges in life, no? :) 

7 minutes ago, ucw said:

Sorry for your vision, it seems we all have our challenges in life, no? :) 

That we do. That we do.

Was this during the foggy season, and was it foggy when this happened? What exactly killed you? Was it a laser or a smash-y attack? If it was foggy I can understand not being able to see it, either. I think It's glowing lights are meant to be the visual cue, so I'll let this fall into Klei's hands from here.
G'luck!

1 hour ago, Angel_Octoling said:

That we do. That we do.

Was this during the foggy season, and was it foggy when this happened? What exactly killed you? Was it a laser or a smash-y attack? If it was foggy I can understand not being able to see it, either. I think It's glowing lights are meant to be the visual cue, so I'll let this fall into Klei's hands from here.
G'luck!

Yes, foggy season.  And, at night.  I had full health, but was attacked by the head body part -- one hit and I was a "gonner."  The head doesn't have the laser.  There were light flashes that I took to be lightening.  

Cheers!  

I don't really suport idea of characters commenting on everything but i think I have an idea of how to help people like you. At least with iron hulks.

Devs should make it so that when iron hulk (any type) is activated they either glow red or spark every 2-4 seconds like wet WX-78.

That way even durring night you'd be able to see them coming

they make a few minor noises when they first get charged, but i've had the same thing happen, without any auditory issues either. they're a bit sneaky 

especially being that the ones that fire lasers can kill you in one go if you're not wearing armor.. i wouldn't mind any sort of vocalization from the character, or some kind of light generation etc. ! 

On 12/26/2018 at 6:11 PM, ucw said:

Request for Developers:  So, I'm *very* hard of hearing -- late defeaned adult.  Also, I don't use screen shake becaue it makes me sick.  (okay, I'm a mess lol.)  Anyway, DS is great because we usually get visual cues along with the audio cues, for example, before hounds come Wickerbottom (she's my gal) says, "Something is coming."  Awesome -- thank you.

I died in Hamlet recently when attacked by an iron giant body part.  I didn't register any visual cues or warnings such as the character saying something.  (maybe it was there and I just missed it?) I would be appreciative if the developers could consistently have the character say something as a warning before danger comes.  I know there was an audio cue (weird music) as my son and spouse confirmed.  

Thank you for your consideration.  

I think that if you had armor you shouldn't have died anyways...

but yeap.. they do make noises... tbh... quite loud machinery/electric noises.. you probably missed it

2 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

they do make noises... tbh... quite loud machinery/electric noises.. you probably missed it

Actually I think that they used to or devs broke something again. Cuz for me right now they only make faint "clicking"-like sound, y'know like arm or ribs joints when moving. It's quite quiet

Archived