Build menus are convoluted. Here some ideas

How to make building menus more comfortable?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. If Klei would spend time on improving user experience with regard to the building menus, what would you like to happen?

• Splitting menus with many items into smaller ones to avoid scrolling (like moving containers out of the base menu)
    • Making menus resizable or zoomable to avoid scrolling
    • Add a techlevel slider to the menus as a sticky setting, for example having raw metal electrics separate from refined metal electrics
    • Adding a hotbar where you can set/select the most often used buildings from, without going into the menus
    • Multi-level dropdown menus for smaller subcategories
    • Moving the building menu to the left to have more space for the Dupe task buttons

A hotbar for the stuff you most use would definetly be useful.

I also thought about grouping similar items into one. Like tiles. You could just click to build a tile or right-click or hold click or an arrow in the corner and you get options to build any other type of tile (insulated, metal, window etc.) in a sort of circular selection.

The biggest thing I could think of would be to make the building menus hotkeyable. A few months ago, I suggested something where when you press a number key, it brings up the first menu level. Press the number key again, it selects a building item within that menu. Press a number key and then change your mind? Press Esc to clear selection, then start the process over again.

Make the whole building menu navigable through hotkeys on a grid-based system, like how many RTS games do it.
So the hokey combo for a tile would be: B (building) > Q (first category) > W (second building).

I prefer this over using numbers because the number row is really long and there's more keys available for just the left hand.

I strongly disagree with creating a hot bar or moving the building menu to the left of the screen. I already dislike how the material list covers the right side of the screen, making building on the right side of the map difficult.

~~~~~

A variation on subcategory and hotkey would be to create a player chosen/common subcategory by simply double clicking the build menu. So instead of currently “Show build menu - Hide Build Menu” click loop, players would have a “Show player selected common buildings - Show all buildings - Hide build menu” click loop.

Better sorting and showing all choices at once would be a good start. Horizontal and vertical scrolling is a pain. Building materials already have categories, perhaps sort them vertically on category and display all at once?

I'd also like an option to show things you haven't researched yet, that way items don't move around in the menus and you can recognize them by position.

Archived