Put some sense into dupe stats please

1: Dupes who are interested in a thing, digging for example, should start with atleast 3, in that particular skill.
2: Dupes, who cannot do a thing, like cooking, should NOT have more than 0 of cooking skill

3: Remove kindness. Useless stat. There is no reason to have it. Why make a skill, that is only going to be used 0.1% of the time?

4: Remove the toggle column from the priorities tab and make it have the highest "hidden" priority of any errand. 

5: Turn proximity on by default
6: Turn Auto prioritize on by default

These came to my mind right now. Anything you guys want to add?

1 hour ago, Flytrap said:

Agreed.

No. I use custom priorities extensively. Auto prioritize is and forever will be useless. All of my dupes need to do all the things, at least until I get enough that I can specialize.

4: Remove the toggle column from the priorities tab and make it have the highest "hidden" priority of any errand. 

Why would you suggest this? The toggle column is quite useful.

22 hours ago, Ambaire said:

No. I use custom priorities extensively. Auto prioritize is and forever will be useless. All of my dupes need to do all the things, at least until I get enough that I can specialize.

Why would you suggest this? The toggle column is quite useful.

Because if i make a change to something, i want them to change it anyway, so the toggle will have max priority anyway?

I thought auto prioritize only changed things that the dupe's current job, and left the rest as is?

I thought auto prioritize only changed things that the dupe's current job, and left the rest as is?

Except that just because I'm training everyone in gofer does not mean I want everyone to do supply errands first. I'm training them in gofer so they can carry more stuff while they do everything else.

1 minute ago, Ambaire said:

Except that just because I'm training everyone in gofer does not mean I want everyone to do supply errands first. I'm training them in gofer so they can carry more stuff while they do everything else.

Ok, question. How do they gain xp? I give them a job, and they seem to level up, even if they aren't doing that job. I know this because i have an artist, and 0 art, and somehow he's gaining progress. How does that work?

3 hours ago, Flytrap said:

Ok, question. How do they gain xp? I give them a job, and they seem to level up, even if they aren't doing that job. I know this because i have an artist, and 0 art, and somehow he's gaining progress. How does that work?

Yes. I noticed this as well. When they get a job timing level it up. They do not have to do job related activities. It can be abused in artist profession - just does not allow artist to do art until but give him a job to lvl up - when he reach highest job he will be making masterpieces. Or research to tame getlysers... etc

I wouldn't mind seeing a drastic rework of the job system before official release.

Perhaps have the dupes earn xp in a field for every unique action they perform, and after they gain enough xp in a given field, allow them to unlock a perk for that field. So after a dupe carries x amount of stuff around, let them learn a more efficient method to carry stuff around, like the gofer job, but requiring a bit of effort and not free from the start. After a dupe plants/supplies dirt/harvests x crops, let them learn how to fertilize them. And so on.

12 hours ago, ONIfreak said:

Yes. I noticed this as well. When they get a job timing level it up. They do not have to do job related activities. It can be abused in artist profession - just does not allow artist to do art until but give him a job to lvl up - when he reach highest job he will be making masterpieces. Or research to tame getlysers... etc

I thought of that too, but the problem is, that leveling a job, they aren't actively doing is EXTREMELY slow, i was on cycle 120 on my last base, and a dupe, who i had from the start, and was on art 24/7 and nothing else, didn't manage to complete the 2nd tier art job. In 120 cycles

On 25/12/2018 at 12:46 PM, Flytrap said:

1: Dupes who are interested in a thing, digging for example, should start with atleast 3, in that particular skill.

I don't really agree. In real life, a person can be interested in becoming an artist but have no experience. Thats what training is for.

On 25/12/2018 at 12:46 PM, Flytrap said:

I always play with these off. If I turn this on the duplicants are way slower in doing what I want them to do.
Might help new players though. I have a very OCD system when it comes to scheduling and priorities, even down to the layout of my base.

Other than that I agree with the rest. (I don't understand #4 though so no comment on that one)

I do really despise the user interface for the priorities menu in particular though (Job menu is close in second place). Once you have more than 10 duplicants (and I always play with 20+) it's SO difficult to organise them and see what jobs everyone is doing.

It would be massively less confusing if they just put a microsoft excell spreadsheet instead of the UI they have now. None of the different ways to order the lists of duplicants are useful.

I actually build my base in a way that splits my duplicants up so that I can see easily the information that is impossible to find using the Job and priority menus....
I will put all of my ranchers in one bedroom. All of my farmers in another bedroom. and so on.
And when I have to mess around with priorities I will hover over the beds to see the name of the duplicant. Then search for that duplicant in the priority and job menus.... That's how useless the UI is.

TL;DR
A microsoft excell spreadsheet would be x10000 times better than the current priority / job / sheduling menus.

I had made a topic some time ago to allow experienced dupes to train the less experienced dupes with specific tasks. The thread did not get a lot of attention...

Anyway, There are some stats that does need to be reworked. Farm is very slow to increase. Learning is limited to the researches and once you get every blueprint and analyze every geyser, it becomes impossible to increase the Learning stat of any dupe. Strength is also slow to increase and has little use except for the carrying capacity. Kindness is the LEAST useful perk and is only used to increase the recovery of sick/wounded dupes. Ranch has no bonus at all whatever if it has 0 points of 6 points. Cooking is also very slow to increase and gives a 5% speed bonus that it too small to feel good. Tinkering is rather fast to increase if you have Manual Generators, but it only has its use with Metal Refineries, Oil Refineries, Glass Forges and Rock Granulators.

The only stats that have good uses to my opinion are the Digging, Construction, Athletics and Learning stats.

Archived