Conspiracies and Theories (and everything in between)

• Developer

Hypothesis 1:

Tentacle spots are mentioned as being the genitalia of Tenacles. However, due to their... well, skin-like nature, I theorize that they reproduce through budding. But, to add in my own speculation, I think that the tentacles never fall off. As the one they spouted off of grows, it retreats permanently into the ground, leaving the new one to take over... flailing duties. They are like the branches of a colossal, lovecraftian tree.

However, this latter part is halted by the fact that the tentacles one finds underground have no visible sprouts. Perhaps it is a similar story, but on a larger scale.

Hypothesis 2:

When insane, one can hear a short, but drawn-out noise. It's difficult to describe, almost a... High-pitched droning? It is the exact same noise that the Ruins make when the Nightmare Cycle reaches its peak. I theorize that they are perhaps they have the exact same source. You hear this because you are insane, and therefore in tune with the Nightmare.

Either that or they are simply the same because both have to do with that. Correlation, not Causation.

Hypothesis 1: Nice theory, I approve!

Hypothesis 2: Probably, since when you're insane, what happens is... kind of like, a bartier between 2 dimendions is broken and the Nightmare creatures slip trough the cracks, following the sources of insanity, hence they spawning in the ruins, near nightmatic statues, nightmare cracks/rocks and anclent pseudoscience/MEGICK stations.

No. No. Don't think smart. Be dumb :grin:

NOPE

Theory:Woodie has Schizopheria,well,you have already know why.....

2:Maxwell call everyone to the world because he wants to be rescue....That is so obvious

3:The "Nightmare Throne" is actually can keep people from dying as you can see when you save Maxwell,and he immediately die righr after that by a wind.

A good theory indeed, but wrong, sorry.

when examining a skeleton, Maxwell says "HA! I remember that one!" leading us to brlieve they actually WERE living humans.

Good point, but he might be saying he remembers placing it there. The whole thing's a pretty sick joke to him.

• Developer

Good point, but he might be saying he remembers placing it there. The whole thing's a pretty sick joke to him.

Maxwell finds the death of the ones he brought to the island funny. While you might be correct I highly doubt he would laugh like that at a decoy he placed.

I have a theory that Maxwell may have had to treck through adventure mode when he first got to the island. Some of his comments lead you to believe that he had to survive before he got to the throne. For example, when he examines a science machine he says something along the lines of "I can't believe I forgot how to make all that".

Also, upon examining one of Maxwell's tooth traps he'll say "I'm sure I had my reasons when I put this here". If he were all powerful at the time he wouldn't have needed tooth traps to protect himself. If you fail adventure mode he will also say "I of all people should be able to do this".

I'll also refute (ahead of time) objections to this theory. It's possible that some of his comments could also work for himself being immediately trapped on the throne. For example, when he says that he probably had his reasons when he put the tooth traps there, it could have been to kill the person he had trapped on the island. However, why suddenly and randomly use tooth traps? Especially if he wants them to get to him to free him.

This is a long post, but I think that Maxwell might have actually had to try to escape just like Wilson.

Maxwell does say that when he first got here there was only the void and Them (which supports the idea that he was captured on the throne on the spot, but he also says that the merms were here when he got here, which makes his claims inconsistent. Just saying

• Developer

I have a theory that Maxwell may have had to treck through adventure mode when he first got to the island. Some of his comments lead you to believe that he had to survive before he got to the throne. For example, when he examines a science machine he says something along the lines of "I can't believe I forgot how to make all that".

Also, upon examining one of Maxwell's tooth traps he'll say "I'm sure I had my reasons when I put this here". If he were all powerful at the time he wouldn't have needed tooth traps to protect himself. If you fail adventure mode he will also say "I of all people should be able to do this".

I'll also refute (ahead of time) objections to this theory. It's possible that some of his comments could also work for himself being immediately trapped on the throne. For example, when he says that he probably had his reasons when he put the tooth traps there, it could have been to kill the person he had trapped on the island. However, why suddenly and randomly use tooth traps? Especially if he wants them to get to him to free him.

This is a long post, but I think that Maxwell might have actually had to try to escape just like Wilson.

Maxwell does say that when he first got here there was only the void and Them (which supports the idea that he was captured on the throne on the spot, but he also says that the merms were here when he got here, which makes his claims inconsistent. Just saying

1 - Tooth traps are the strongest traps and he is not all-powerful. They are. He is, technically, powerless, the puppet master is a puppet himself, what an irony.

2 - Maybe he DOESN'T want them to free him... Well, I don't know about this one, beats me...

3 - In theory, the island already existed IN the Void (my theory, that is) and there were pre-existing creatures there that They created, he only added his.

4 - The examination for the Science Machine might be that he created the original ideas and recipes for those items, and once freed, all his knowledge slipped away from him, probably because his knowledge came from Them, not from himself...

1 - Tooth traps are the strongest traps and he is not all-powerful. They are. He is, technically, powerless, the puppet master is a puppet himself, what an irony.

2 - Maybe he DOESN'T want them to free him... Well, I don't know about this one, beats me...

3 - In theory, the island already existed IN the Void (my theory, that is) and there were pre-existing creatures there that They created, he only added his.

4 - The examination for the Science Machine might be that he created the original ideas and recipes for those items, and once freed, all his knowledge slipped away from him, probably because his knowledge came from Them, not from himself...

Those all make sense. Really, I suppose it could go either way. It just depends on whatever Klei decides. If They need a host though, was there one before Maxwell?

• Developer

Those all make sense. Really, I suppose it could go either way. It just depends on whatever Klei decides. If They need a host though, was there one before Maxwell?

Probably, but the real question is...

What is Charlie's PIECE in this gigantic puzzle?

This has probably been discussed before (sorry if it has, I died for a year)  but are Webber and Wilson related? The only two living things that we know grow facial hair and Webber remembers his father using this? He saw his dad using a science machine? It all makes sense. And he would have been able to easily access the portal since Wilson built it.

• Developer

This has probably been discussed before (sorry if it has, I died for a year) but are Webber and Wilson related? The only two living things that we know grow facial hair and Webber remembers his father using this? He saw his dad using a science machine? It all makes sense. And he would have been able to easily access the portal since Wilson built it.

Dude, there is little to no evidence to back this up.

1: Webber has a silk beard because he is half-spider and got lucky that it didn't grow from his butt.

2: A father shaving his beard and his kid seeing him do it is not an un-common happening, y'know?

3: For a kid, depending the age, anything that makes something he/she doesn't understand can be a science machine. And there's also the possibility of his father being a scientist.

4: No it doesn't.

5: Going by this logic, then all characters are related to each other, which means they're all related to Maxwell, which would break (or maybe un-cober?) a big part of the lore.

Also, HI! Pleased to meet ya, I'm Mister L (the guy that absolutely loves destroying other's theories), let's be friends!

Dude, there is little to no evidence to back this up.

1: Webber has a silk beard because he is half-spider and got lucky that it didn't grow from his butt.

2: A father shaving his beard and his kid seeing him do it is not an un-common happening, y'know?

3: For a kid, depending the age, anything that makes something he/she doesn't understand can be a science machine. And there's also the possibility of his father being a scientist.

4: No it doesn't.

5: Going by this logic, then all characters are related to each other, which means they're all related to Maxwell, which would break (or maybe un-cober?) a big part of the lore.

Also, HI! Pleased to meet ya, I'm Mister L (the guy that absolutely loves destroying other's theories), let's be friends!

1. This is a game where a kid lives inside a spider. Does normal logic really apply?

2. In a game where even people with facial hair don't shave, EVER, besides Wilson and Webber, I think it is uncommon. Also I think that, given the type of beard Wilson can grow in a month (we're talking master wizard status) it makes sense that Webber would comment about his dad using a razor, and not something about beefalo (that he knows by name, possibly related to the first character of the game having returned with stories?).

3. A valid point, but he made the science machine and has a deep enough understanding of how it works to relate it to something from back home.

4. mmm hmm yes it does

5. I don't follow (its late i'm sorry)

By all means, let's! 

• Developer

1. This is a game where a kid lives inside a spider. Does normal logic really apply?

2. In a game where even people with facial hair don't shave, EVER, besides Wilson and Webber, I think it is uncommon. Also I think that, given the type of beard Wilson can grow in a month (we're talking master wizard status) it makes sense that Webber would comment about his dad using a razor, and not something about beefalo (that he knows by name, possibly related to the first character of the game having returned with stories?).

3. A valid point, but he made the science machine and has a deep enough understanding of how it works to relate it to something from back home.

4. mmm hmm yes it does

5. I don't follow (its late i'm sorry)

By all means, let's!

1: I'm not talking about logic here, I'm just saying that just because 2 characters have a shaveable beard does not mean they're related to each other.

2: Wilsom is not the only person in the world that shaves his beard, Webber could very well have a father that shaved his beard, and one day when he was shaving Webber ended up seeing him shave. Also, I'm pretty sure other characters mention them being beefalos... I think Wickerbottom says they're scientific name, which means that maybe Beefalos were a thing in the real DS world. The not-Maxwell's island one.

3: All the characters can make one. All the characters know how to operate it. Webber is not an exception.

4: It's very un-likely...

5: Maxwell called everyone to the island in different ways, according to Webber's examination of Maxwell, he tricked him.

That could lead to believe Maxwell tricked him like he tricked Wilson, but is it that simple, really?

I have 2 more things to say that might prove this wrong.

1: You said Webber would hint to being related to Wilson in the Razor, Beefalo and Science Machine examination quotes, then why does Wilson NEVER mentions something hinting at having a son? And his son is quite special and worth a mention!

When examining spiders, he says he hates them, and I think he should mention Webber (maybe not directly, of course) when examining a spider/spider related item.

2: In DST (Don't Starve Together) they have no father-son examinations, they treat each other normally, you'd expect one of them to at least comment something about finally seeing his father/son again, but nope. They don't do that.

Alright, cool!

(Did I destroy your theory yet?)

1: I'm not talking about logic here, I'm just saying that just because 2 characters have a shaveable beard does not mean they're related to each other.

2: Wilsom is not the only person in the world that shaves his beard, Webber could very well have a father that shaved his beard, and one day when he was shaving Webber ended up seeing him shave. Also, I'm pretty sure other characters mention them being beefalos... I think Wickerbottom says they're scientific name, which means that maybe Beefalos were a thing in the real DS world. The not-Maxwell's island one.

3: All the characters can make one. All the characters know how to operate it. Webber is not an exception.

4: It's very un-likely...

5: Maxwell called everyone to the island in different ways, according to Webber's examination of Maxwell, he tricked him.

That could lead to believe Maxwell tricked him like he tricked Wilson, but is it that simple, really?

I have 2 more things to say that might prove this wrong.

1: You said Webber would hint to being related to Wilson in the Razor, Beefalo and Science Machine examination quotes, then why does Wilson NEVER mentions something hinting at having a son? And his son is quite special and worth a mention!

When examining spiders, he says he hates them, and I think he should mention Webber (maybe not directly, of course) when examining a spider/spider related item.

2: In DST (Don't Starve Together) they have no father-son examinations, they treat each other normally, you'd expect one of them to at least comment something about finally seeing his father/son again, but nope. They don't do that.

Alright, cool!

(Did I destroy your theory yet?)

yes you did, quite thoroughly. It was just something I had thought of, since I have been playing a lot of Webber. And just to add it is very possible they don't recognize one another given Webber's current state/that Wilson hates spiders because one swallowed his son (or however that worked). I think there are points to both sides but in the end we'll never know :(

• Developer

yes you did, quite thoroughly. It was just something I had thought of, since I have been playing a lot of Webber. And just to add it is very possible they don't recognize one another given Webber's current state/that Wilson hates spiders because one swallowed his son (or however that worked). I think there are points to both sides but in the end we'll never know :(

Well, in the end we shall know, once the entire backstory is revealed.

(Also, if Wilson hates spiders because one swallowed his son than he would already recognise Webber, because he knows his son current state, of course, you could say he saw the spider eating him than the spider ran away, the transformation only happened later and Webber did not want to go back home, afraid his father wouldn't love him any more.

But if so, Wilson would AT LEAST comment that his son was eaten by a spider oncd, and besides, if Wilsn didn't recognise him, WEBBER would :/).

Archived