abyssalite nerfed?

2 minutes ago, QRDL_rus said:

very funny, but the fact is that the temperature is equalized throughout the map

Not meant as joke, good cooling option. For heating there are other objects "space heater" but isolation is tricky now.
I bet it will be changed again..
Edit: i forgot vacuum, but i never said it's a nice change..

2 minutes ago, QRDL_rus said:

very funny, but the fact is that the temperature is equalized throughout the map

Instead of using the minimum temperature between two things to determine heat transfer, they are now using arithmetic average (or at least, they are trying it out). This means abyssalite now only halves heat transfer rather than preventing it. As you have seen, this means extreme temperature from something like magma flows straight through abysallite now.

I tried to present a solution here for the developers:

I do not see how heat can flow try standard abyssalite wall between bioms. Walls are more than 2 ties thick. If health transfer average between 2 walls, the result should be near 0 transfer for 2 ties thick walls.

So, Base on changes that should not be happening. Do you really observe that or you just scream wolf?

Thought this was pretty cool.  Maybe someone can explain it and it is nothing to do with the thermal conductivity change.  It looks to me like the magma is somehow melting the igneous rock through the neutronium even though there is no change in temp of the neutronium.

image.thumb.png.4594445162c79b4ebd857fbfaa7dc330.png

image.thumb.png.f8a5f094369000e26761085bae8e42fa.png

1 minute ago, Kabrute said:

actually I would say your magma cooled to igneous, the abysallite soaked up all its heat

image.png.29d36ac6107530e143bf35a6d9b64d88.png

this is the big clue, happens when the top of the pool is too small to form a solid block

You beat me to the comment I agree, it I suspect definitely cooled magma. I would suggest an qbyssalite fix to prevent this is to make the specific heat capacity much lower. This would mean a double layer will insulate but that contact later layer would change rapidly in temperature but not affect the surrounding biomes.

10 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

actually I would say your magma cooled to igneous, the abysallite soaked up all its heat

image.png.29d36ac6107530e143bf35a6d9b64d88.png

this is the big clue, happens when the top of the pool is too small to form a solid block

Thanks, that makes more sense.

7 minutes ago, Gooblender said:

I would suggest an qbyssalite fix to prevent this is to make the specific heat capacity much lower.

That would just make heat transfer through abyssalite faster.

I have no idea what kind of averaging did devs use for heat transfer coefficients, but if now heat is transferred even through adjacent abyssalite tiles, then there's something seriously wrong about it and it should be fixed based on physically sound approximations, not through further uncontrolled hacks into the physics implementation.

3 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

I have no idea what kind of averaging did devs use for heat transfer coefficients, but if now heat is transferred even through adjacent abyssalite tiles, then there's something seriously wrong about it and it should be fixed based on physically sound approximations, not through further uncontrolled hacks into the physics implementation.

They wanted to make radiative pipes more pronounced in effect. What they should have done for that was artificially inflate the surface area modifier between a pipe and it's content (as you would in real life - pumping your coolant through cooling fins). This was just a quickly hacked in solution that was given zero thought and will hopefully be rolled back today.

2 minutes ago, JonnyMonroe said:

This was just a quickly hacked in solution that was given zero thought and will hopefully be rolled back today.

I do find it terribly amusing that they managed to make such a massive change just to try to get radiant pipes to work.  Concerned that it wasn't rolled back in the 2nd patch yesterday. Finally confused that they have deleted the forum post with this in the patch notes, where most of the discussion on this change was happening.

Just now, Stoof said:

I do find it terribly amusing that they managed to make such a massive change just to try to get radiant pipes to work.  Concerned that it wasn't rolled back in the 2nd patch yesterday. Finally confused that they have deleted the forum post with this in the patch notes, where most of the discussion on this change was happening.

This one? Was moved, not deleted..

2 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Because  you have to vacuum every area to fight that balancing, but you are never fast enough for that, because it starts, when you uncover FOW..
Vacuum not included..
^^
image.thumb.png.f9024cac8cf64b82639ea28bb1ba4ea0.png

Seem a good challenge ^^, only have to isolate some of them to have a substainable base.

Also, with the abyssalite now nerfed, vaccum isolation become a really interesting solution for a perfect isolation (but maybe they will add a value to the thermal conductivity of vacuum to be in accordance with physics)

20 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

32e.jpg

:D

You only have to digout inside the abysallite and pump the gas to isolate

And i think, it's could be fun to have an entire ice biome become a water/polluted water biome and think how to access it without overflooding your base (maybe i'm masochist :D).

I really get angry against Klei if the game become too easy

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

only on a single layer. Heat will still not transfer between two abyssalite materials. Pipe to tile or tile to tile as the average is abyssalite.

14 minutes ago, Gooblender said:

only on a single layer. Heat will still not transfer between two abyssalite materials. Pipe to tile or tile to tile as the average is abyssalite.

That's the theory the patch note suggests but it does not appear to be supported by experiments.

Archived