My Stack-able Bristle Berry Greenhouse design

I built this greenhouse in the Helicona map so the resources are pretty cheap, I only used abyssalite in the temp shift plates to trap heat from the ceiling lights.  Everything else is made of sandstone and copper ore.  Each greenhouse room is 4 X 24 so it's the max size of 96.

20180206201125_1.jpg

I like stackable designs. I recently designed my own.

43672E1FA8433EDACEE46AFF059C8003621D9785

Mine has the advantage of being a lot smaller.  Each farming station is the center of the stackable section.  Mine is significantly smaller and has 32 plants per stackable area, whereas yours has 22 and is larger. 

How many plants can your farmers boost per cycle in your structure?  Mine boost around 16-17, but I could probably increase that by making their cots and mess tables and food and bathroom closer.

However, the smaller size leads to a few problems.  My design has pressure problems if there is oxygen in it.  The dupes breathing can reduce the pressure enough to depressurize some of the plants and the airflow between the sections is lousy.  My plan is to fill it with CO2 and have the farmers wear exosuits, which solves this problem.  I generally pressurize my farms with CO2 anyway so dupes don't want to hang out in it.

I personally feel like ceiling lamps are a bit of a trap because they require you to have them so high above the plants to be effective.

3 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Mine has the advantage of being a lot smaller.  Each farming station is the center of the stackable section.  Mine is significantly smaller and has 32 plants per stackable area, whereas yours has 22 and is larger. 

How many plants can your farmers boost per cycle in your structure?  Mine boost around 16-17, but I could probably increase that by making their cots and mess tables and food and bathroom closer.

However, the smaller size leads to a few problems.  My design has pressure problems if there is oxygen in it.  The dupes breathing can reduce the pressure enough to depressurize some of the plants and the airflow between the sections is lousy.  My plan is to fill it with CO2 and have the farmers wear exosuits, which solves this problem.  I generally pressurize my farms with CO2 anyway so dupes don't want to hang out in it.

I keep mine cool with oxygen pumped in at 8 degrees Celsius average, I have squeezed my rooms down to 3 X 36 so now mine has 34 plants

20180206214550_1.jpg

I also had pressure problems when I changed the room size to 3 X 36, I solved this with some automation for the air pumps

You could lower the roof my 1 if you put the vent in the upper section.  By doing that, you could increase the number of plants to 45.  However, I find that you don't get anything out of having more than 25 plants in a greenhouse because there is only a benefit if the plants get boosted (as far as I understand). 

I am currently using core biome water, so I don't need to cool it yet.  I intend to cool it with hydrogen in pipes cooled by wheezeworts and-or thermoregulators. 

My scheme is still denser, but I certainly see the appeal of dupes being able to breathe in the farms.  Plus, cooling air is easier than cooling water.

Also, I was under the impression that abyssalite temp shift plates have no effect

18 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

You could lower the roof my 1 if you put the vent in the upper section.  By doing that, you could increase the number of plants to 45.  However, I find that you don't get anything out of having more than 25 plants in a greenhouse because there is only a benefit if the plants get boosted (as far as I understand). 

I am currently using core biome water, so I don't need to cool it yet.  I intend to cool it with hydrogen in pipes cooled by wheezeworts and-or thermoregulators. 

My scheme is still denser, but I certainly see the appeal of dupes being able to breathe in the farms.  Plus, cooling air is easier than cooling water.

I did try dropping the roof by another 1 but air pressure became too much a problem as oxygen would get stuck near the vents on the left side while my plants stiffed on the right due to lack of pressure.  

Have you thought about using aquatuners to cool water? The setup I use is take water from a steam geyser pumped to a pair of carbon skimmers then to a water sieve, and finally though 2 aquatuners (with a water drip to keep them from overheating) Water temp should average 10 C

True, but I think the thermoregulators will be easier to manage heat-wise. Then again, aquatuners have the advantage of being able to boil polluted water as a side effect of their operation, which is nice.

I would rather not use a water sieve unless I have the ability to produce sand in a renewable way.  I am trying for a fully sustainable base.

Have you considered using CO2 for the atmosphere?  Then the dupes won't depressurize the room by breathing.  You can give the farmers exosuits so that they can work without having to stop for breath.  Sure, they will be slower, but they won't need to stop to do anything but eat or sleep.

38 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Also, I was under the impression that abyssalite temp shift plates have no effect

I saw the "slow heating" and "insulator" effect the abyssalite gave the temp shift plates and figured it would help keep the heat away from the plants.  Might be overkill as building the plates from dirt work just fine

Also here's a thermal view of my greenhouse with 8C oxygen and 10C water pumped in

20180206231159_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

True, but I think the thermoregulators will be easier to manage heat-wise. Then again, aquatuners have the advantage of being able to boil polluted water as a side effect of their operation, which is nice.

I would rather not use a water sieve unless I have the ability to produce sand in a renewable way.  I am trying for a fully sustainable base.

Have you considered using CO2 for the atmosphere?  Then the dupes won't depressurize the room by breathing.  You can give the farmers exosuits so that they can work without having to stop for breath.  Sure, they will be slower, but they won't need to stop to do anything but eat or sleep.

I'm on the Heliconia map, can't use exosuits :(

17 minutes ago, Seeker89 said:

How would either design work with the next update and the  auto-sweeper.?

Mine could be modified I think.  I'm not sure.  My farm is around 70 tiles per room..  His is fully compatible from what I can tell.  I could be wrong though, I haven't used an autosweeper since it came out.  I think an autosweeper is a bit overkill though.  The cooking stations are right outside the farms and the cooks aren't too busy.  They generally get the food then cook it.

Both designs are already designed in the new update.  You can tell because both have farming stations.

@Zarquan @Neotuck, abyssalite tempshift plates have no effect just like abyssalite piping and tiles. Their conductivity so extremely low that we can think of them as perfect insulators. Or in other words nothing will exchange heat with abyssalite.

Tempshift plates themselves are not special in any way other than their layout. They are merely a 3x3 tile wide unobstrusive material dump of 800kg. It would be the same if you had debris of the same mass and material floating in that 3x3 square.

My initial impulse when the plates were introduced was also that we could use them to insulate stuff when building with abyssalite, but they don't. They are literally in the background doing absolutely nothing.

2 minutes ago, clickrush said:

Their conductivity so extremely low that we can think of them as perfect insulators. Or in other words nothing will exchange heat with abyssalite.

I wouldn't go that far.  I built a natural gas boiler that went to 1000 C.  That definitely heated the abyssalite.  Slowly, but they were heating. 

4 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I wouldn't go that far.  I built a natural gas boiler that went to 1000 C.  That definitely heated the abyssalite.  Slowly, but they were heating. 

Yeah I think someone did some debug tests with extreme temperatures, so one can see how slowly they interact. That's why I said "we can think of them". And abyssalite tempshift plates certainly don't achieve what OP was trying to accomplish in that setup.

12 minutes ago, clickrush said:

@Zarquan @Neotuck, abyssal tempshift plates have no effect just like abyssalite piping and tiles. Their conductivity so extremely low that we can think of them as perfect insulators. Or in other words nothing will exchange heat with abyssalite.

Tempshift plates themselves are not special in any way other than their layout. They are merely a 3x3 tile wide unobstrusive material dump of 800kg. It would be the same if you had debris of the same mass and material floating in that 3x3 square.

My initial impulse when the plates were introduced was also that we could use them to insulate stuff when building with abyssalite, but they don't. They are literally in the background doing absolutely nothing.

I was just looking for a way of blocking the heat without blocking the light, did seem pointless though as the gas pipes containing 8C oxygen prevented the ceiling lamps from heating up 

UPDATE!

The temperature of the air flow tiles have been unchanged for the past 50 cycles so I decided to try an experiment 

I have changed abyssalite temp shift plates with tungsten temp shift plates

After 10 cycles the airflow tiles below the ceiling lights dropped two degrees

not much but proves abyssalite is pointless

37 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I was just looking for a way of blocking the heat without blocking the light, did seem pointless though as the gas pipes containing 8C oxygen prevented the ceiling lamps from heating up 

I find the heat from the lights to be insignificant personally.  The incoming water has a much greater effect on the temperature.

Also, do you have farmers tending your crops?  How many plants do they boost per cycle?  Each time a farmer boosts a bristle blossom, it saves your colony either 13.5 kg of water or 20 kg of water, depending on how you get your fertilizer. 

2 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

how many can you feed with that amount of foods?

I haven't crunched the numbers but my colony has 14 dups and I feed them only gristle berries, yet my total kcal keeps climbing so I'm sure I could feed more

13 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I find the heat from the lights to be insignificant personally.  The incoming water has a much greater effect on the temperature.

Also, do you have farmers tending your crops?  How many plants do they boost per cycle?  Each time a farmer boosts a bristle blossom, it saves your colony either 13.5 kg of water or 20 kg of water, depending on how you get your fertilizer. 

I have 3 farmers but they only seem to boost about 2/3rd of the blossoms

If you feed your dupes gristle berries, then it takes 3 bristle blossom to feed 1 dupe.  Every plant that gets boosted halves the time of the harvest.

His scheme can feed 11.667 dupes per greenhouse without boosting.

My scheme can feed 10.667 dupes per greenhouse without boosting.

My farmers boost about 17 plants per greenhouse per cycle.  That is equivalent to having 17 more bristle blossoms per greenhouse, so 32+17 = 49, which means they can feed 16.333 dupes per greenhouse.  I only use 1 farmer per greenhouse.  I could probably increase that number in the late game by training the farmers in engineering jobs to increase their tinkering skill and moving the farmer's provisions closer to the farm.

I'm not certain of the exact details per greenhouse of @Neotuck's system. 

These are all ideal numbers.  The actual numbers are lower because of time between full growth and harvest.

@Neotuck I'm not sure if you know this but pneumatic doors can be used instead. They're effectively mesh tiles without negative decor and at half material cost since the cost is the same but the doors are two tiles. So you can use them to make a fake ceiling. The greatest thing about pneumatic doors is that they don't block automatic sweeper arm.

unknown.png

On 07/02/2018 at 3:40 AM, Zarquan said:

I personally feel like ceiling lamps are a bit of a trap because they require you to have them so high above the plants to be effective.

Me i like when i can put some autosweeper inside my farm room

Archived