My Stack-able Bristle Berry Greenhouse design

4 hours ago, Nullus Maximus said:

This is beautiful! How do you destroy the heat though? Just cool water?

A temp shift plate behind the light usually helps slow down the spread of heat from the lamp

And yes cold water effects the plants temperature more than the lamps

Also with the new cosmic upgrade you can stop the heat transfer completely with some well placed windows

2 minutes ago, Nullus Maximus said:

I really liked your lighting set up, I thought it was quite smart actually.

Thanks, unfortunately airflow tiles block light now with cosmic update

However I have been working on a new greenhouse design and will start a new post when it's finished

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

However I have been working on a new greenhouse design and will start a new post when it's finished

Replace the airflow tiles by the window tiles?

Just now, SamLogan said:

Replace the airflow tiles by the window tiles?

That and...

1.  Automate temperature, gas, and water control

2.  Improved air locks for blocking gas and maintaining temperature without stressing dupes (no water locks) 

3.  Add sweepers

4.  Customize to include Dust Caps, Sleet Wheat, and Pincha Pepperplants

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

That and...

1.  Automate temperature, gas, and water control

2.  Improved air locks for blocking gas and maintaining temperature without stressing dupes (no water locks) 

3.  Add sweepers

4.  Customize to include Dust Caps, Sleet Wheat, and Pincha Pepperplants

:o

On 2/6/2018 at 8:48 PM, Neotuck said:

I keep mine cool with oxygen pumped in at 8 degrees Celsius average, I have squeezed my rooms down to 3 X 36 so now mine has 34 plants

20180206214550_1.jpg

I also had pressure problems when I changed the room size to 3 X 36, I solved this with some automation for the air pumps

I just built this and the lights don't go through the air tile - what did I do wrong?

34 minutes ago, gelat said:

I just built this and the lights don't go through the air tile - what did I do wrong?

25 minutes ago, Lazy-Anemic said:

Yeah, that is odd.

Yo @Neotuck is that a pre-CU save or is it one of those bugged "ghost" tiles?

Check the date of the original post

After CU airflow tiles block light so use window tiles

13 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Check the date of the original post

After CU airflow tiles block light so use window tiles

I can literally see where you said the same thing higher on the page 5 hours ago. I feel bad for for humanity that you had to repeat yourself.

12 minutes ago, Hegemone said:

I can literally see where you said the same thing higher on the page 5 hours ago. I feel bad for for humanity that you had to repeat yourself.

I don't mind repeating myself, I take enjoyment in helping other players

7 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Could you use pneumatic doors instead of windows?  Light still goes through those.

I am gonna ask the noob question, if water/food for plants is not a scarece resource, is there any point of using a farming station?

I have a set design for my bristle blossom farm for instance which 16 bristle berries, which is collected by sweeper arms, my pincha peppernuts and mushrooms are the same except there is 18 of them.

If you are not using the Farming Station, you will require a larger number of plants (not quite double) in order to produce the same quantity of kCals per cycle.  That rate is the second biggest factor in your "Dupe ceiling", or rather, how many Dupes you can support.  By nearly doubling the number of plants, you are also nearly doubling the amount of resources going to support those plants, as well as the time needed to feed and, more importantly since Sweepers can't, harvest those plants.  On top of that, double the plants means double the space, which then leads to further logistical inefficiencies from Dupe pathing, resource flow, etc.

It's kind of the same idea as playing Tall vs Wide in Civilization.  Different approaches require different strategies, with their own needs and capabilities that are quite different.  You will path your way through the tech tree differently, what buildings you put in your cities will be different, where and how many cities will be different.  Size of your military which, in turn, changes what your economy looks like.

57 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

more importantly since Sweepers can't, harvest those plants.

Can't harvest but if you double the number of plants again to adjust for the time it takes for plants to drop their crops then you can make a fully automated farm that requires no dupe interaction

Currently my farms do not require any dupe interaction, but I have Bristle Berry, Pincha Peppernut, Mushrooms and Eventually sleet wheat  farms running at the same time.

So I have a large variety of food growing in small farm areas, Currently they are all sealed rooms so temperature is not an issue, but if I have to have a dupe go to and from a room then temperature might be an issue since my farms are so close together. I was thinking of using tubes to do it but I have never actually used them before.

Archived