[Game Update] - 243285

Great work on the update - @Cheerioany chance of a bit more info (in layman's terms ideally) of what performance improvements we can expect?

Currently got a cycle 320ish base that I've optimised as much as possible as per some of the suggestions in this thread : 

Sadly it still runs like a bag of spanners...

Edited by Lifegrow

• Developer

Would you mind sending me your save file? There will be some more performance improvements in the next update as well.

Also I've been working on the save file from that thread. It should also run better in the next update even without the optimizations that are proposed in that thread.

• Like 6

I can't provide you with my current save as it's from an ongoing stream, but i'm sure if you created a thread for "Submit your laggy as hell cycle x saves" you'd be inundated within minutes :D 

Joking aside, I have another save that i'll do some work on tomorrow and submit it.

Many thanks for the reply.

All sounds very exciting and promising but I'm also curious about the specifics eg. Storage Compactors optimised to reduce the bla bla bla, or path finding bla bla to reduce the bla bla technical bla etc. Performance improvements is the part I'm most passionate about at the moment as the lag is killing my enjoyment of one of the greatest games I've played in recent history. Love this game and love you guys at Klei! Thank you.

• Like 2

• Developer

This hotfix was mainly improvements to do with computation heavy things like the temperature sim. This upcoming update(the one scheduled for three weeks from now) will have a bunch more performance improvements including navigation/storage.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cheerio said:

This hotfix was mainly improvements to do with computation heavy things like the temperature sim. This upcoming update(the one scheduled for three weeks from now) will have a bunch more performance improvements including navigation/storage.

This is incredibly good news to hear. Many thanks.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Cheerio said:

Did I mention yet that I love you guys at Klei????

• Haha 1

I wonder if they could just reduce the computatons requred a bit more drastically, in the end the temperature changes so often so quickly that I assume it is done every tick, even if they did it so that it was done every second tick woldnt this reduce the load by a fair margin?

I mean ok it means that instead of it jumping 0.1 degrees every tick it would jump 0.2 every 2 ticks but you have achieved the same effect with less computation...

I have an I7 3930K 6x3200MHZ

11-22FPS in the game. Through the update i get round about 2 fps more. In bigger bases it is barely noticeable.

20171125073136_1.thumb.jpg.fb13ca160caa53a27a7ed081963182f6.jpg

Spacejunk.sav

Interesting, how other people build theirs base. The most dig out the completely map. After that, the map looks like the hell with thousands of ladders :o

Edited by DustFireSky

On 11/23/2017 at 7:04 PM, Cheerio said:
  • misc performance improvements

Hello!

Indeed, there is improvements. Now, with this, I can run this game at 60fps at the start. (my PC spec: i7-6700K CPU @ 4Ghz, nVidia 970GTX, 16Gig RAM, Win10) Then above 6-8 dupes, when mined resource getting more and more, especially when select more than 100 future dig-plan, it always hit performance and fps goes about 40-48. After this, if I play more than an hour, it's getting worse, and fps goes below 30. Every time I reload the game (just reload, not quit) while initialize happens, it's all cool, fps goes 60fps, no matter how many resource or dupes I got. Even if I have more than 15 dupes, it will 60 fps. (I say this number while zoomed out) But this cycle is starting again, and in several minutes later the "degradation" starts over.

So definitely there is a performance leak (I couldn't measure that it impacts RAM), seems it's your "job" scheduler (i guess), and perhaps threads wont ends or closes. I cannot say, this is a special occasion, due to no matter what this behavior happens all my game, no matter how many new game start.

But all in all, game gets better, so keep it up! :)

On 23/11/2017 at 7:25 PM, Cheerio said:

Would you mind sending me your save file? There will be some more performance improvements in the next update as well.

Also I've been working on the save file from that thread. It should also run better in the next update even without the optimizations that are proposed in that thread.

Just an fyi @Cheerioin case you hadn't seen.