End is Nigh (Day 11)

Joined a server at day 11 of the world generation and from what I gathered in the chat, a Wickerbottom player had the End is Nigh book and had killed some people with it.  In addition to the book, she had some type of protection (I'm assuming from the chat it was probably the Rain Hat).  

I only recently started playing Wickerbottom (600+ hours logged in the game itself though) but was curious from more experienced Wickerbottom players, how possible it is to obtain these items by day 11 on a pvp server.  As I was seeing the chat discussing the situation I started doing the "grocery list" of all the items a person would need and felt that either this person is either cheating or amazing.

Thinking about it now, I feel it could be possible if everything worked out well regarding resource availability being in close proximity.  However, it still seems difficult to obtain all the random materials as well as survive.  Since I am always running into or reading about person's cheating in various ways I can't help but be a little suspect.

Anyway, I didn't attempt to call the person out on the server (nor am I trying to here), just really wanting to know whether or not I should be impressed.  Thanks.

Oh, it's possible... go straight to alchemy engine, get a little insane and kill a crawler or terrorbeak for some NF, hammer some moles and you're done... by about day 5? less if you're lucky and especially doable by day 11...

He must have kept his distance from other PvP-ers so as not to waste other resources? it does sound a little suspect though O__O

My biggest confusion is where the purple and red gem came from.

Are there Rooks (purple gems) in DST?  I thought I remember seeing them before but haven't in a long time.

Well, since the person went crazy for nightmare fuel, they probably dug graves and got gems that way.

Or clockwork bishops dropped the purple gem.

So:

for the research station 1:

silk - spider dens

boards - lumberjack duty

rabbits - traps

for the actual research station:

living log - easily chopped in a forest

purple gem - either bishops or graves

nightmare fuel - insanity or evil flowers or both

for the actual book:

red gem - graves

papyrus - started with

What amazes me is, why would someone make that book and not sleepytimes? I can imagine it to be more useful, even in PvP. Sleepytimes has more range and the same uses.

Unless grogginess can be reduced easily by the opponents, which would make sleep items in PvP generally pointless. I never really put someone to sleep, nor have been put to sleep.

But you know what? Host a game and we'll do a Wickerbottom rally! Let's see who can get a combat book first!

EDIT:

Oh, it's possible... go straight to alchemy engine, get a little insane and kill a crawler or terrorbeak for some NF, hammer some moles and you're done... by about day 5? less if you're lucky and especially doable by day 11...

He must have kept his distance from other PvP-ers so as not to waste other resources? it does sound a little suspect though O__O

Not to mention that Wickerbottom only needs a science machine...

Like @Mobbstar said it is all possible for sure, just a little based on luck. The hardest part being the Living Logs since sometimes the tree gods are happy with you and you don't get a treeguard for over 40 days. (Unless he found a Totally Normal Tree of course) And Graves have a nice high chance to drop a red/blue gem so it's possible to get about 2+ of each which makes crafting a Purple Gem easy. Everything else is more based on how determined the player is to collect them fast.

However, it still seems difficult to obtain all the random materials as well as survive.

Not really, there's food everywhere pretty much all the time. Best sources for a travelling Wicker would probably either be cactus flesh or berries (IF the Pig Village has a Berry farm which doesn't need poop ever) 

What amazes me is, why would someone make that book and not sleepytimes?

It is surprisingly satisfying to kill people with the power of lightning.  

My biggest confusion is where the purple and red gem came from.

It's all a dice roll for sure, but it's like rolling 10 dice when you only need one to be a six.

Yeah, it definitely seems possible now.  

I forgot about graves having gems which is what had me confused about how they were obtained so early.  Good on a player putting in the effort to kill people in a way other then Wigfrid.  

what took you so long?

While her books are an interesting game mechanic, I didn't really need them for my single player game style.  Neither did having Science Machine craftables immediately seem so important.  Though this does seem trite, when I did try her out way back in the day I wasn't won over that much by the character itself either.  Due to that, my patience for her was rather short-lived.

Not until multiplayer, where her perks became more important, have I spent any real time with her.  She has grown on me a bit over time but I still am underwhelmed by her frumpiness and matter of fact comments.

Archived