Wild and Fantastic things to Renew Stuff.

Cloning Bay: Bring back extinct animals

It would have 4 slots like a crock pot. If you put more and more unique items from an animal into the slots, (like beefalo wool), it increases the chance that the cloning process will produce an animal. Rarer items (like a beefalo horn) would add a higher success chance. This way, when an animal species is killed off, you can bring them back, slowly but surely.

The Clocktower

Somewhere random in the world, a tall ominous tower stands. It has a clock with quickly moving hands at the top. There are spinning gears sticking out on the sides. Once every 15 days or so, the bell rings, which can be heard everywhere. A message appears at the top of the screen. It says "The Clocktower has Struck!" At the base of the clocktower, a large army of clockworks would spawn.

I think this is a great topic for exploration. What are the implications of poor land stewardship that goes on for thousands of days? Knowing what we know about biology and its tendency to bounce back (sometimes in surprising and inventive ways), how should or could the world adapt?

The answers seem more straightforward for plant life. The mod "stumps grow" is a good example of a behavior that is true to real life and fits well, I think, in the DS world. Basically, leave a stump for long enough and it will eventually sprout into a new tree (anyone who has failed to fully remove a stump in real life can attest to how vigorously the tree--or rather, bush!--will grow back!). Leave a pine cone on the ground and it should grow into a stump as well which would mean that burned-down forests would regrow. I like how this would provide an echo of the real-world role of fire in the development of forests (some tree species *require* fire to release their seeds).

Maybe not all seeds rot--maybe some of them grow into plants. Same with berries--berries left on the ground might beget more berries (or, true to life, the poop of creatures who ate berries might sprout more berries!).

Grass is a little more problematic since there is no mechanism for spreading in the game beyond transplantation. In the real world, however, just try to get wild grass not to spread! I wonder if it shouldn't spread more naturally in the game. As for twigs... I got nothin'.

When it comes to fauna, however, it gets trickier, doesn't it? I guess some part of me wants to say too bad, if you hunt a species to extinction then that's it! It's extinct! But I kind of like the idea of using some part of the animal in a chance to bring it back, Jurassic Park style.

I think it would be interesting to have some kind of alert when the last of a species is killed like a sound similar to Krampus' hissing, except a plaintive cry of the extinguished species. And the very last of a species would probably be pretty depressed-looking, to help clue you in to the fact that it is the last.

And maybe if you try to make a beefalo and the chance of getting it right is low... there could be a chance of producing an ewecus.

I suspect that this kind of sadistic genius thinking is part of Klei's hiring process. See: Don't Starve.

--everything OP said--

It's awesome.

Yeah! But where would stem cells come from?

Someone suggested mining bones. I was gonna laugh because I remember (vaguely) that they come from first stage of developing babies, but a quick Google search says I'm wrong. And you can find them in bone marrow. O___O

I wonder if that Bone Saw is related to all of this....

Someone suggested mining bones. I was gonna laugh because I remember (vaguely) that they come from first stage of developing babies, but a quick Google search says I'm wrong. And you can find them in bone marrow. O___O

I wonder if that Bone Saw is related to all of this....

It technically matters WHICH type of stem cells you need for that specific application. Bone marrow stem cells are the stem cells involved in differentiating into all the different varied types of blood cells.

You have stem cells of all the various parts of your body, they're just "multipotent" (can turn into 1 of a few things) instead of "totipotent" (can turn into EVERYTHING), which are the kind found in embryos.

I stuck with bones because we don't have embryos in Don't Starve though, even though that would be the most accurate... I don't think anyone wants to see weird mpreg Wilson shenanigans happen. Oh, but even if we don't have embryos, we DO have eggs. Tallbird eggs are fertilized, too, so.. we do have embryos. Bird embryos. Maybe an egg would be involved in some way, though. 

@applebottom, Well, stem cell is actually a pretty broad term. It means a cell that isn't fully differentiated... so kinda like a cell that isn't totally grown up and knows what it wants to do yet. So you can get blood stem cells from marrow, which know they want to be blood cells of some type, but haven't picked yet.

But I don't know, I was just suggesting it because stemcell is one of the inventoryitems that has art but hasn't been added yet. Who knows how you'll get it yet :)

It technically matters WHICH type of stem cells you need for that specific application. Bone marrow stem cells are the stem cells involved in differentiating into all the different varied types of blood cells. You have stem cells of all the various parts of your body, they're just "multipotent" (can turn into 1 of a few things) instead of "totipotent" (can turn into EVERYTHING), which are the kind found in embryos.

Well, stem cell is actually a pretty broad term. It means a cell that isn't fully differentiated... so kinda like a cell that isn't totally grown up and knows what it wants to do yet. So you can get blood stem cells from marrow, which know they want to be blood cells of some type, but haven't picked yet.

Oh good. So my little memory of bio is still kinda correct. I just didn't know about the multipotent ones. I thought all stem cells = totipotent. (Cool terms by the way. Thanks you both for explaining!)

I don't think anyone wants to see weird mpreg Wilson shenanigans happen.

I try hard to forget, but @Asparagus weird dream still comes to mind. *buys brain bleach again*

If we're getting into expansion-level content, the Cloning Bay seems like it would be cool if it could both:

1) Renew existing species if they've gone extinct

AND

2) Possibly create new/hybrid species as well if you mix materials?

#1 alone is useful, but not super necessary to the game, like some have said, if you truly mismanaged to the point where you have NO beefalo left.. should we feel bad for you? But then again, some plays aren't cooperative, for example wilderness servers that are at day 1000 where people have been mostly doing PvP, you wouldn't expect everyone to behave selflessly. If killing the last herd of Beefalo gets you ahead of the other guy trying to kill you, who can blame you really?

#2 as an alternate use for the device seems potentially HILARIOUS. What am I going to get if I thrown in spider Silk, Beefalo Horn, Deerclops Eyeball, and an entire Rabbit? Who knows? Seems to fit in with the sort of "mad science" theme of the game and gives a little more flavor to the structure. Maybe it would just have a chance to create some horrible ooze monstrosity boss if you chose the wrong combinations. I imagine just a blob of protoplasm with random parts sticking out.

I don't know... I like my DS punishing and unforgiving. I feel like if the game let's you recover because you didn't take appropriate measures, then the game doesn't know how to play. 

These ideas are meant for long-lasting servers where random people carelessly kill everything, and WX-78s eat all the gears.

Archived