[Gameplay] - Suddenly Stuck

PandaWaffles

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: Suddenly Stuck

Issue Description: It was winter and I was Wickerbottom. I was freezing and I had a small campfire near a few frozen ponds, when my character suddenly stopped moving. Wickerbottom's legs were still moving, but I wasn't going anywhere and there was that little disconnected icon in the top left corner of my game. But I wasn't disconnected, because I was still able to in-game chat with the people on the server and I was watching myself slowly freeze to death. My character was very close to the campfire, as seen in this screenshot http://prntscr.com/565tt6. However, when I died, my character sort of rubber-banded back to one of the frozen ponds a bit further from the fire, so it looked like I was stuck on the pond or something. Pressing WASD still made Wickerbottom change direction, but she wouldn't move from her spot and I could still sort of build stuff (like clicking on a campfire in the build option was fine; I just couldn't plant it).

Steps to Reproduce: I have no idea what caused this to happen, so I can't really give steps to reproduce, sorry for being unhelpful :I

Conditions(?):

-Winter

-Near Ponds

-Campfire in the middle of a bunch of them

That's really all I can think of..

It sounds like you were experiencing major lag, so as a client, you couldn't properly sync-up to what the server was supposed to be showing.  Did either you or the host ( looks like @The Letter W ) have poor internet connection for a bit? Mine has been spotty this past week (USA, Comcast) and throwing ping off totally randomly.

Well, PandaWaffles said that they could still chat, so I don't think it would've been lag. I've had people report running into this on rare occasions on my server, and I think I ran into it once myself. On my server, bumping them as the host seemed to get them unstuck, though, so I'm not sure it's the same thing.

Yeah, I really don't think it was lag. Wickerbottom kept saying the evening quote "It's getting late." right on cue without delay. Plus everything around me seemed to be running smoothly. I think having things bump into you works, 'cause I got stuck again and was unstuck when a roaming beefalo decided to touch me. Here's another screenshot of being stuck, with the skeleton from my first time.

http://prntscr.com/565y00

This has been happening to me too and the only way to get out of it was to either wait for 5 minutes or relog. It's hard to say it's lag that's causing it, because yes, I could also chat and the character seemed just fine except they could not move anywhere.

Its happened to me a few times too. My ping was in the green along with the host. I was locked up for a few minutes when it happened, luckily I had a torch and was able to build another one to get thru the night.

The host and other guests thought it was lag until it happened to them too. I thought the rubberbanding was bad until that happened.

This happens when I play in high ping servers (200+), when I forget to turn off movement prediction. It happens almost immediately after joining the server and starting to move. I get the client-desynced symbol on top right, I can still talk, but stay walking in place. Reconnecting fixes.

Turning off movement prediction prevents the problem for me.

It sounds like you were experiencing major lag, so as a client, you couldn't properly sync-up to what the server was supposed to be showing.  Did either you or the host ( looks like @The Letter W ) have poor internet connection for a bit? Mine has been spotty this past week (USA, Comcast) and throwing ping off totally randomly.

I wasn't the host actually. My internet is pretty notorious for random 1000 latency spikes though!

I will mention that poor PandaWaffles was the only one who this was happening to though. Even when I ran into them to try and move them, they remained cemented in place.

@ reconnecting (which does work for people) I just want to add a trick that worked for me.

For general stuck-times, when I'm lagging on other servers I get momentarily stuck, and "wiggling" around un-sticks me after a few seconds. (It's like there are 3 invisible walls and the 4th is a doorway... hehe)

I was "stone-cold" stuck, in place on my friend servers the other day and to top it off I was right near/on the campfire. I was spazzing out trying to unstick myself, thinking I am about to burst up into flames at any moment, til I finally made my friend "push" me and that actually worked. (Just to avoid reconnecting, because I can be lazy sometimes... lol) It did take a push or two.

Just a little tip to try, that might help someone who doesn't want to reconnect. Like me. *runs off*

Archived