No Overwatch, Immediate Shooting

I've noticed this a few times, including on the freshest build.

A guard will encounter an agent during the guards' turn and go on overwatch. Another guard will act somewhere in the level, and then it will switch back to the overwatching guard and he will shoot the agent, giving no opportunity for the latter to escape or act.

I don't know about steps to reproduce, but the most recent time it happened, my second agent snagged another guard with a melee overwatch before it switched back to the guard who fired the shot.

I've noticed that kinda happened when the guards/drones tries to cross to certain area and was interrupted (such as path being blocked by another unit), the sequence will went on hold and wait for other units to finish, so in the case of being spotted while patrolling, they didn't finish moving, and when other unit moved / acted, the guard/drone resume their movement, which resulted in double action.

I've noticed that kinda happened when the guards/drones tries to cross to certain area and was interrupted (such as path being blocked by another unit), the sequence will went on hold and wait for other units to finish, so in the case of being spotted while patrolling, they didn't finish moving, and when other unit moved / acted, the guard/drone resume their movement, which resulted in double action.

That appears to be it. 

It does occur sometimes without any interruptions in the guards turn too....albeit not nearly as often as the occurrence you speak of. One of the 2 instances has happened to me on at least half of my plays since the patch... It happens so often I just ragequit now, please please please fix this. It's making me hate your game as well as love it.

Actually, another situation would also result in the guard instant kill you

1. Stand in front of a door with a guard looking that way

2. Open the door

3. Guard enter overwatch

4. Close the door

5. Open the door again by you, or triggered by another guard

6. Bang.

That is no bug, that is as if you entered overwatch and a guard runs into your vision.

They enter overwatch, lose you, then detect you again ALREADY IN overwatch and therefore instantly shoot.

Yesterday's run was ruined by this. My plan was to intentionally move an agent into a guard's sight cone and hide again right away to lure him through lasers, yet my agent was shot immediately. Trigger happy with dangerous enthusiasm!

I'm also getting this quite often since the latest build. There doesn't even have to be anything else of particular import happening at the time. Just spotted and immediately shot, like overwatch is being bypassed altogether.

Quick check: is the guard that noticed you first shooting or is a guard putting you on overwatch and another guard instantly firing on you *grumbles about the latter* 

Both of these happen way too often. IMO this specific bug should be their top priority. Every one of my runs be it endless or story is ruined by one of the two iterations of this bug. Just lost my 11 day endless mode to it because a guard decided to open a door and spot agent 1, go into overwatch, run forward 3 squares, and shoot agent 2. His new location putting agent 1 in an inescapable spot. If he had acted how guards normally act 99% of the time both my agents wouldn't have been in any danger at all.......

I will play the game again once it is fixed because a bug free invisible inc is one of the greatest games I've played. This specific bug is so rage inducing that it is better for my state of mind that I don't play the game. Odd too because I normally don't rage at video games. Anxiously awaiting that hotfix. ;)

Quick check: is the guard that noticed you first shooting or is a guard putting you on overwatch and another guard instantly firing on you *grumbles about the latter* 

Only one guard involved, who fires immediately. The alarm/overwatch tone sounds, and then blam!

+1 to this, I had Shalem going into:

• A pair of "?" guards' field of vision, and he was promptly shot by them.
  • A trio of "!" guards' field of vision, same as above.

They were not on overwatch. So, imagine my jaw hitting the table in shock.

Luckily my team could handle both messy situations (thank goodness for Shock Traps)

So I'm not sure what this is actually called. You know how when guards see one of your spies, they freeze and don't shoot you immediately? You have one action- you can move one square, close a door, shoot if you have a gun, etc.

My last few games have ended prematurely when something messes up and the guards decide to not let me have my one square of movement.

Three times ago, a guard saw my spy and aimed at me. Elsewhere in the map, a turret I'd hacked saw a different guard and went into Overwatch mode. The guard aiming at my spy decided that was my action and shot my spy, killing her.

Two times ago, a guard saw my spy and aimed at him. That turn the timer ticked over to 3, and a new guard spawned. The guard decided that was my one action and shot my spy, killing him.

Just this last time, I had three spies all spread out over a map. (Not the safest idea, maybe, but I had a plan.) on the same turn, they were all three seen by guards, and one at a time, all three guards decided that the other spies being seen by guards was my action, so all three of my spies were shot and killed and I lost.

I can't help but feel like this is a bug, or perhaps a programming oversight. Surely only actual actions should count as actions?

So I'm not sure what this is actually called. You know how when guards see one of your spies, they freeze and don't shoot you immediately? You have one action- you can move one square, close a door, shoot if you have a gun, etc.

My last few games have ended prematurely when something messes up and the guards decide to not let me have my one square of movement.

Three times ago, a guard saw my spy and aimed at me. Elsewhere in the map, a turret I'd hacked saw a different guard and went into Overwatch mode. The guard aiming at my spy decided that was my action and shot my spy, killing her.

Two times ago, a guard saw my spy and aimed at him. That turn the timer ticked over to 3, and a new guard spawned. The guard decided that was my one action and shot my spy, killing him.

Just this last time, I had three spies all spread out over a map. (Not the safest idea, maybe, but I had a plan.) on the same turn, they were all three seen by guards, and one at a time, all three guards decided that the other spies being seen by guards was my action, so all three of my spies were shot and killed and I lost.

I can't help but feel like this is a bug, or perhaps a programming oversight. Surely only actual actions should count as actions?

@Leeksoup

It's a bug

No overwatch and immediate shooting reaction.

This thread is now merged here at http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/41174-no-overwatch-immediate-shooting/ so no need to click on it. 

This is a game breaking issue that has been around and has been complained about since the beginning. When is this going to be fixed?

Well, when this was in Alpha it didn't happen like this, so hardly since 'the beginning."

(And I only remember seeing you since Early Release, not Alpha, so apologies if I missed your posts here.) 

Archived