Could this world generation work?

Ever wondered how the world generation could look like in Don't starve much more realistic? Now I know DS isn't aiming at realism, but I am thinking to make a mod and this kind of world generation is what I am aiming to make. Now, this is just an example of the world generation:

opd2fd.png

The size of the world is actually Huge, as in so Huge, that it would be Huge for multiplayer. That's if you assume that one pixel in the picture is one square. Some stuff is shown bigger than they would be in the world, but hei, don't judge me, it's just a sketch.

My question is if this world generation would be possible. The reason why you see only 7 different kinds of biomes, because in my mod I'm planning to make biomes change as the seasons do, say the Grass biome changes to Decidous biome during Autumn, Forest turns into Rainforest during spring or Savana changes into Desert during Summer. My mod will also add a lot of features to Summer.

So do you think this kind of world generation would be possible to make?

Here's information about what is what (biomes change depending on season):

Yellow biome: Desert/Savanna/Oasis biome

Green biome: Grass/Decidous biome

Dark green biome: Forest/Rainforest biome

Purple biome: Swamp biome

Bluishgreen biome: Graveyard biome

Gray biome: Rocky biome

Light yellow biome: Beach biome

Pink lines: Land bridge

Dark gray dots: Mountains

Green dots: Merm villages

Red dots: Pig villages

Small red squares: Spawn points

Blue lines: rivers

Gray lines: paths

Yellow lines: Roads

Light gray dots: cave entrances (there are 5)

Gray rectangle: Glommer statue

biomes change as the seasons do, say the Grass biome changes to Decidous biome during Autumn, Forest turns into Rainforest during spring or Savana changes into Desert during Summer. My mod will also add a lot of features to Summer.

So do you think this kind of world generation would be possible to make?

Not without remaking every single plant in the game to change. And finding a way to regenerate the biome mid-game while saving the data of where there's no turf and such.

Wow, thanks, guys. The idea of my mod is to make Don't starve survival as realistic as possible, yet not going too much into real life details and making survival a bigger of a challenge. The mod would also bring much more new stats, that would make the game harder, such as thirst, oxygen, energy, filth, excretion stats etc. But the mod would bring new features in as well, as I might have already mentioned. Since I've seen many people wanting more features to Summer and myself wanting that too, I thought to add A LOT more features to the season. For example, the Meerfox animal would be an animal that only comes out of its mound during summer. The mound would be found in Desert biome. Buzzards would only come out during Summer as well, and would land only while you're in the desert biome.

Right now the mod stands, well up to a point that it works, but all it has is harder recipes. Yup, I need help, but right now I don't really have time for modding, so for now it's just an idea.

Great job with this idea. It should be officially added to Don't Starve. Here it comes....This should be made as an option in world customisation. The player should have the option to toggle world realism on and off :)

If this is made as a mod, let me know, I want it!

This is so cool! Forget mods! This should be officially added to Don't Starve! Here it comes....This should be made as an option in world customisation. The player should have the option to toggle world realism on and off :)

If this is made as a mod, let me know, I want it!

Well, I hope you'll be able to coap with all the other things the mod wilL bring cause this is only one part of it. You know, long story short, here's all the things I can remember that the mod will have:

Biomes change along with seasons

More advanced pig villages

Harder recipes (already done)

More loot from mobs (bones, boneshards, more of already set loots)

New craftables (e.g. Wellies, rain trousers/pants, summer shorts, sandals, scarf, winter boots, thick trousers/pants, seed extractor, food luquidator etc)

New items (some new rocks that will contain different materials e.g. Iron and copper)

Different mechanics for already ingame elements/mobs etc(e.g. Giants and many different mobs won't attack their own kind, even followers gang up on you if you wish them to attack their own kind, some mobs will become more passive. Mobs like hounds will sleep during the day and will stay at their mounds if they spawned from one. Birds from bird cages will only eat seeds and berries and in return have 33% chance of giving an egg in return. For getting seeds of fruits and vegetables, you'll need to make a seed exctactor, which can take the fruit or vegetable and use it as fuel, giving in return seeds of the input. Seeds on the floor won't rot. If they are dropped on the ground by birds, once they spoil to rotting, they'll go inside ground and will grow something, depending on the biome it was on, say during summer in desert, it'll have like a 40% chance to grow into a spiky bush, 30% chance to grow into grass, 20% chance to grow into a cactus and 10% chance to grow into a spiky tree and say for decidous biome, during autumn, seeds could have 30% chance to grow into grass, 30% chance to grow into a sapling, 15% to grow into a berry bush, 15% for growing into a carrot, 9% into a red mushroom and 1% into a mandrake. This meachnic is one I would be most proud of, sinse it would take out game logic and bring the world back into a day 1 state, so it would look like the pervious people who were in the world before did the same survival things as you did and some things were already being "taken" before you came and just regrew etc)

New slots for equip option (weapon/tool slot, hand slot, body slot, back slot, neck slot, leg slot, feet slot, head slot and may be some others)

You'll start off with literally nothing, unless your character has some items set as starting ones. This means that you'll need to create a map yourself, meaning that first few days you'll be running around with no clue where you are or where you're going.

New stats (I've mentioned them in my previous post)

Merm villages and more advanced Bunnymen villages (And Merm queen. Right now idk what she'll be good for trading but I'll figure out later, for now throw me some good ideas for this)

Roads will actually lead somewhere. Witht the new world generation, there'll be almost no dead ends

New setpieces (lureplant farm, mandrake farm etc and ps; lureplants will grow naturally only during spring. Mechanics will be changed, so that they wouldn't annoy you in far game by spawning every other week, but they would only grow during spring in rainforest biome from seeds dropped on the biome and would go to sleep during other seasons (it would be in a state without eyeplants and without any meat to lure, like the state when one just spawns or when you have just planted a fleshy bulb)

Mountains (this is where many rivers will start and many will end at oceans. Mountains will just be giant obstacles in one place crowded up. I am thinking may be to make a specific biome full of those, may be a rocky biome full of moutains?)

New possible eyebone spawn point (graveyard, just want this thing to have possible chance to spawn there. Also gold nuggets in graveyard and in that giant spider den setpiece? Pfft, no way. You'll also be able to craft graves and bury skeletons and instead of trinkets and stuff you'll get a skeleton out of a grave always. If you break a human skeleton you'll lose some sanity, unless you're WX-78, of course. Also current set pieces will have a lot more stuff to it, say there would be rot in a lot of set pieces, sinse the people who died had to eat before, right so they would probably have food with them. The set piece where you find a skelleton and a random item which is common like with a puffy vest, dapper vest, a dark sword, walking cane, top hat etc will be changed, an say you could find a set piece of a posh guy with a top hat, dapper vest, walking cane, some rot, gold or something, and you could assume that the guy died from the night since he was living posh all his life or something, was greedy for gold (duh) and he didn't know much about survival and certainly nothing about the night monster ;) etc)

EDIT: Some other notes

Mobs and such won't change. Say there are 3 savana biomes; one will be full of beefalo, another full of rabits and the last one full of hound mounds. All three will have cactuses, grass, spiky bushes, spiky trees, rocks and boulders and may be some other stuff. What will change is that savana during summer would become desert and in certain seasons be oasis at certain times (have not planned this too well). You'll have scorpion holes and meerfox mounds or something always, but they'll only come out during summer, unless you break the mound. Cactuses would grow from late spring till early autumn and during summer they would have cactus flowers. I'm thinking may be to have red ants as well which would be summer exclusives. Buzzards and tumbleweeds also would be summer exclusives only.

Trinkets would be possible to find in tumbleweeds or setpieces, since graves won't guve them.

Almost forgot! Last but not least, I am thinking to add one of the main features of the mod, which will be the underwater world. Right now I won't tell you anything that's going to be there, but you can make suggestions if you want. But there will be a new giant/boss monster, I can assure.

What I really like the idea of is thw Up and Away mod. It inspired me the idea of the underwater world. I am hoping I will be able to collaborate the mod with mine.

If there's someone good at making music, could you make 6 theme songs for the underwater world, like caves and ruins have?

Almost forgot! Last but not least, I am thinking to add one of the main features of the mod, which will be the underwater world. Right now I won't tell you anything that's going to be there, but you can make suggestions if you want.

Don't forget the magic conch shell. All hail the magic conch shell.

It's so much better than my Quest Giver brand.

Hope you are a heck of a modder 'cause this will take a lot of work rewriting the basic generation rules! but follow your dream, and I hope it works well!

I will. It might take ages before I even start (actually I have already started making it) but I'm sure I'll make it one day.

For example on another forum I promised to make an addin for a game and it's been like three years and only now I have done one part of it. But this does not get in the way of me making a mod for DS sinse I'm working with another guy who puts everything together after I've finalised my creation.

Have no doubt in me, guys! I will need some professional help thought. I PM messaged to the maker of Up and Away if he could help me out once Up and Away if finished. Still haven't got a reply, thought.

One thing;

I like the idea of the map generation/seasonal changes, but not anything else. It's just my opinion, don't worry about it. BUT I think that if you do manage to figure out the map generation to make those shapes, and even the changing biomes, then aw3some! just make that as a separate mod too, so people have it as an option. i think you will find others have a similar thought on this.

As far as changing plants go, I think it would likely be not too hard to set  them with an idle state dependent on the season. (presuming they have an idle state)

Also, you may need to consider RoG/non-RoG compatibility (eg Deciduous Biome, etc)

Archived