Opinions on how beta invites might work?

Opinions on how Beta invites might work  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think DST Beta invites should be provided too?

• Long time users / bug reporters / others
    • Reign of Giants beta participants
    • Open Beta
    • Buy in Beta (The expansion may be free, but DS will be raised in price 5$ upon DST release)
    • Pray to the Klei gods and ask for their heavenly gifts
  2. 2. How many additional beta invites would be appropriate for one user?

• None, go test with other beta users
    • 4 (I think it should be capped here)

I think they'll just do it like they always have with free updates - beta subforum open to anyone that has the game and wants to participate. They don't gain anything by making it exclusive to certain people.

As it's always been, game properties ---> Betas ---> Select Beta Option. It'd be dumb to only limit it to a certain amount of people when there's an entire playerbase willing to try things early.

It doesn't make sense to restrict the beta to a certain group of people. The more beta testers there are, the more bugs get reported. I say everyone should be able to access it.

I think they'll just do it like they always have with free updates - beta subforum open to anyone that has the game and wants to participate. They don't gain anything by making it exclusive to certain people.

Well, there can sometimes be an assumption of quality when beta's are released, as some people seem to see it as the full thing.

It happened alot with Reign of Giants, people were complaining about the lack of content, the fact that it was so unbalanced and "why didnt Klei fix this" among other things.

A beta should be a bout a group of people devoted to testing the game out, giving feed back and bug reports to the company, telling them how to make their final product the best it can be.

When anyone is able to just pop in and start playing, first impressions can be a problem.

A beta should be a bout a group of people devoted to testing the game out, giving feed back and bug reports to the company, telling them how to make their final product the best it can be.

And every beta ever since the Adventure Mode testing has been exactly that at a more effective large scale. No need to change the formula.

From every example Klei has given us regarding this, they either disagree with you or it doesn't bother them.

I'm pretty sure it bothers them. I just think they believe the benefits far outweigh the grievances, and I agree.

Well, there can sometimes be an assumption of quality when beta's are released, as some people seem to see it as the full thing.

It happened alot with Reign of Giants, people were complaining about the lack of content, the fact that it was so unbalanced and "why didnt Klei fix this" among other things.

When anyone is able to just pop in and start playing, first impressions can be a problem.

I see what you're saying and you make a valid point. Sadly, there is no guarantee that long time users or previous beta testers will be any better. If someone is going to complain, than they will complain regardless of their user status. I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree =) 

I'd say that everyone is welcome/encouraged to play the DST beta, it's up to Klei(maybe the mods to a certain extend aswell?) to filter out the useful feedback from the useless feedback. Perhaps there can be certain forumgoers up for that task aswell (they could get a message from Klei how to recognize and seperate good feedback from the bad and get a badge like the mod badges). It's just a random suggestion but maybe it could work if there's gonna be way more people involved in this beta than RoG (and I strongly believe there will be) :)

Maybe someone will discover an overpowered character combination that has the potential to break DST, or a gamebreaking bug and post this on the forums. Good feedback/ bug report, wether this is brought up by a DS beta member or a first time poster.

In a random public game someone stole my umbrella. The sod! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE KLEI WTF?! Bad feedback, nothing contstructive added and is merely a complain.

Two very opposite cases that should make the point I'm trying to make ;)

I think a forums open beta will work the best. Free as long as you're a forum member (So you can post bugs). As jbettle said Klei will need 2X as much playtesting in Together as any other beta they released. What better way to even the numbers then having more people help out bug hunt!

Archived