explanations of the good the bad and the ugly of the Don't Starve world [Field note styled]

Research notes page 1

Bees:

the bees here are very different to those we are familiar with: (a few obvious points below)

they are larger

their stings have little or no poison

they seem to lack a queen

they don't die after stinging you

This leads me to believe that these bees are a strange hybrid of bee and various other insects.

My reasoning in this;

The size, dragonflies are rather large and bees rather tiny, a combination of the bee's structure and the dragonfly's size could result in this physical difference.

stings lacking poison, without the poisonous gland structure of a regular bee (poison gland is attached to vital organs) it will not kill itself by stinging its foes. this could be a result due to a cross with a wasp

lacking a queen: this one is hard to explain as while they create honey and honeycomb it seems to be to nourish themselves rather than a "leader" so to speak, could be a result of a cross with many different insects, but most likely a fly

All in all, these bees are very unusual with many quirks that help them survive

EDIT: forgot to say feedback would be much appreciated

Edited by Craig_Perry
  • Like 4

Field Notes page 2

Spiders

these spiders are similar to the ones back home, but much bigger and so see people as potential prey.

the main similarities are as follows:

- surprise hunter

- makes webs

- poor vision (they appear at dusk and night by their own accord as not to overwhelm their eyes)

even with countless similarities there are a few differences;

"Dens": 

regular spiders lead solitary lives but this variant lives in groups of up to 8 (or thereabout)

possibly to help with survival against the tougher creatures in this world.

Hunting technique:

normal spiders just attack what gets stuck, but this species is incredibly aggressive making slowing webs and then charging in.

and the big thing:

Size is much larger I believe that the O2 content in this world is much higher than our own allowing simple insects to grow to these proportions.

note, this may be the actual reason for the bee's size but without materials to study this I am left in the darkness

In conclusion

nasty little blighters, but their adaptations for this world are very interesting nonetheless.

Edited by Craig_Perry
  • Like 3

field notes page 3

"Tallbird"

these are like nothing I have ever witnessed before, a very strange and difficult to explain creature

it looks to be a sort of mishmash of an ostrich,  cyclops (mythical creature but its the best I've got) and perhaps even an ape of some kind

very territorial:

they guard a solitary egg, like certain land based birds and the range at which they will chase any how stray to close is quite large

*note to self; don't approach off guard next time

Unusual fighting style:

they quite simply just plummet their head down upon you, I say head but thats also their whole body. This likely arose due to their rather comically long legs

monocular sight system:

they have one incredibly large eye that takes up quite a good portion of the birds body and head

One other thing I have noticed is a very rare gathering of their nests with about 10-20 nests around one cluster of rocks... its as if to dare someone to mine the rocks, safe to say I'm not even going to bother

In conclusion

these land based birds are incredibly unusual but are strong with a parental instinct to match!

• Like 4

[quote name="Craig_Perry" post="345107" timestamp="1382024

One other thing I have noticed is a very rare gathering of their nests with about 10-20 nests around one cluster of rocks... its as if to dare someone to mine the rocks, safe to say I'm not even going to bother

In conclusion

these land based birds are incredibly unusual but are strong with a parental instinct to match! So Im not the onl one who has them in their world! I thought it was just a pigman glitch, since my village is just a hodgepodge of random houses and no farms.

Crow

this is one of the few creatures here that aren't new and wacky

but they have adapted to this environment and behave much differently than usual

their diet consists of seeds instead of carrion

they migrate in winter, the winters here are incredibly harsh not many things could survive it

they have become incredibly timid, crows normally let things approach them considerably more than other birds but not here

crows being of one of the smarter bird species likely thought up these ways to survive here and by being here avoid egg hunting predators at the cost of some luxuries they most likely come here to use it as a nesting ground and for respite from tree based predators

in conclusion; pretty dull to document but the range of behaviour changes are most unusual.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

apologies for the short one, just wanted to get it out of the way

Edited by Craig_Perry
  • Like 1

Slurpers

very unusual parasites, they try to convince you they want symbiosis...

by giving of light in exchange for your food (that was already digested, absolutely disgusting)

they latch onto your head and by some means i do not want to remember they drain partially digested food from your body

their eyes are similar in structure to the light flowers, which gives them their illuminating property

some would find this thing endearing... I say its horrifying a giant leech if you will

Ive no idea how this monstrosity could arise as there is only one creature it is capable of sapping other than humans, they do seem to hibernate before you approach, so I assume they have a keen sense of smell or can detect vibrations of magitude similar to the human footstep

nothing like this is back home, there are parasitic creaturse sure.. but none on this size or overall repulsiveness in its behaviour

in conclusion: avoid these at all costs it latching onto you is a horrifying ordeal which I would most like not to have to deal with again

but i digress, the creatures adaptations are  fascinating... yet disgust me at the same time

• Like 3

Merms

I ventured to the swamp in hope of finding new and interesting creatures and by jove, that hope ws not unfounded.

These creatures are very strange, they look to be amphibious but they don't seem to enter water

They are territorial and live in groups of 4

acting quite similar to pigs while they fight, which is rather interesting, perhaps some sort of symbiosis once occured.

very unusual creatures most unlike anything I've seen outside this strange world;

for a start I had never seen a large bipedal amphibian before, their circulatory system doesn't usually allow that

they are also relatively intelligent, being able to build houses and co-ordinate teamwork (however badly they do so, they still try)

besides the likely amphibious trait, I see no reason why they are confined to the swamp alone. Its a rather odd conundrum as I'd normally expect to see one or two houses just outside the swamp

In conclusion;

these amphibious bipeds are quite dangerous and care should be taken around them. In particular, do not go near their homes

• Like 3