explanations of the good the bad and the ugly of the Don't Starve world [Field note styled]

wow thats a really nice suprise!

It's kind of a surprise to me too. I hadn't planned on doing it until today. I thought it would be nice to have covers for the different sections. The nightmare creatures and the underground things will have their own covers and most likely their own kind of paper.

• Like 1

Craig_Perry, i'm surprised you didn't include in the field notes, how if you're wearing the beefalo hat and use the horn, they follow you around permanently.

from my experience they follow you around permanently until you get too close and they go "HMM" then they stop and move about

Mosquitoes

these nasty insects are one of the things I hoped this world didn't have, but alas it just has a bigger and deadlier version.

These insects tend to stay around ponds in swamps unlike the normal world variant. I am unsure of the reasoning behind this it seems like a rather superfluous adaptation.

They are also nocturnal as well, appearing at dusk and staying active at night, this adaptation i can understand as it allows them to feed on sleeping animals.

Much like most of the insects here they are very large too!

another thing I have observed is that; if they bite you enough the sac they use to hold blood explodes violently killing the insect and hurting you a lot too.

However if you kill them you might just be able to collect the sac, which has a useful but weak medicinal effect

I'm not sure where they fit on the normal food chain around here, there feeding habits are erratic and very hard to measure especially since they are nocturnal.

In conclusion: try not to let the buggers explode as it hurts a lot, but they can be handy for basic medicinal purposes

• Like 3

Deerclops

this thing chills many to the bone with both fear and the wrath of a winter spent without shelter...

it is a loud beast roaring not long before it stomps its way to anything near you, it seems to hunt down structures that are unnatural making my home (if you can call it that) a massive target .

I have yet to see one creature that can match its ferocity in battle and I hope I never will. its arms reach a long way and butcher most things in their path, from bees to the other leviathans in this world, this creature can cut down many things in a few swipes and smashes.

it is very resilient, never faltering due to cold and being able to take many strikes with barely a scratch on it. A hardened foe for only the most skillful of warriors to tackle alone.

despite its aggression it can prove very useful, it is able to destroy unwanted structures, kill that spider nest you've been at war with for the past 100 days and even cut down trees! although i don't recommend using a beast of this power as a mere lumberjack...

it seems to only appear near the end of winter for reasons I have yet to figure out, but it does seem to migrate but to a place that none shall ever find due to the secrecy this thing exhibits. Although i do believe it migrates from one cold place to another as it seems to be aggressive like most things that are in a rush. In fact i even believe it may not be able to survive the summers heat! haha!

In conclusion:

A deadly foe not to be trifled with without immense amounts of experience but like most things here still useful in some way

• Like 2

Krampus

This beast appears not to be a myth or a legend at all in this world, they exist for sure.

it seems they appear if you harm to many innocent creatures such as Rabbits, Beefalo, Birds and a fair few more. It links into the mythical representation where they will appear and kidnap those that have misbehaved throughout the year a total contrast to St.Nick

however it is a mortal creature which can be dispatched with relative ease while its kick may hurt a bit its nothing a sturdy log suit can't handle. It is also they only creature I have seen which can pilfer your belongings, smashing chests grabbing items that were thrown upon the floor.

its behavior when it is not aggressive cannot be documented for when it flees after stealing your stuff it jumps into the sack on its back and disappears! I... have no way to explain how such a phenomena can occur.

its appearance is also similar to that which is described in folklore. A bipedal goat-like creature with a sack flung over its shoulder and on its back. Its odd how the myths of home seem to arise here, I'm curious as to whether there are more mythical beasts I've seen one that's part cyclops, but none that is directly equal to its mythical self before.

In conclusion, a strange creature but it poses rather little threat for such a well known and frightening legend and the information about it could easily have been found back home...

• Like 4

I started work on a project somewhat similar to the one you two are working on a little while ago, however my limited drawing talent only works on paper, so I have been making several books. Wilson's Survival Journal is one, there are also guides for each of the levels, including both flora and fauna. And I'm not entirely sure yet if Wilson's Journal is to include craftables or if I will have a separate field book for that.

oh yikes! completely forgot, although this one may well be the last one... I think its time for me to leave, I've been busier than ever slowly gaining a social life outside of the internet and having work up to my eyes to do. I'll be looking for a suitable person to carry on my work here before I finally go though

Batalisks

These odd bat like creatures have taken to a diet far more carnivorous to those back home, even trying to tackle bigger prey... such as myself.

They do portray a similar structure and some similar behaviours to ordinary bats, these being; leaving their homes at dusk to hunt, travelling in groups, not straying too far from home. However there are a lot of differences too, such as their circling behaviour which is reminiscent of vultures.

Their natural habitat seems to be deep in the caves which are likely dangerous. They seem to prey upon very few things, mostly the creatures that have a humanoid size, such as pigs.

they have a few strange physical features too, their teeth are incredibly large, I guess that's an adaptation for tearing up flesh and their wings are not super weak like in regular bats, probably to reduce the effect of prey fighting back.

In conclusion:

These creatures arise in the night, so keep your wits about you and it'll be okay. if you don't however... its not going to be a good experience.

Edited by Craig_Perry
  • Like 1

Hello forumgoers! As Craig has already said he's leaving the forums for personal reasons, but he doesn't want this thread to die out just because he won't be here anymore. I'll be picking up where he left off, I hope you guys like my entrees as much as you liked his.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Chester

Finally, something that doesn't seem to exist solely to attack everything around it! For once I can give a proper description without having to fend for my life at the same time.

Like the Hounds, Chester's closest real-world comparison has to be a canine. However, unlike the Hounds, Chester's personality is more like a common house pet than a wolf. He loyally follows whoever carries his eye-bone.

His fur is orange and surprisingly clean for something that lives out in the wilderness. His large, hollow stomach is perfect for storing important items in as though he were some sort of chest, and his rounded teeth make reaching in a completely non-threatening procedure.

I haven't had the chance to see him in any habitat besides where I've gone, he always appears from where I can't see him when I pick up the eye-bone. Chester lacks any sort of eyes, which leads me to the assumption that the eye on top of his bone is his primary means of sight.

In conclusion: A good traveling partner in this unforgiving world. Being able to keep more items on hand is always handy and the comfort of having a friend by your side cannot be understated.
Edited by 23rd
  • Like 1

Clockwork Rook

I liked it better when clockworks were only as big as I was, this thing is enormous! The first time I encountered one the ground shook under my feet, and it came charging out from the darkness. At least the other earthshaking behemoths have the courtesy to not come sprinting towards me.

Behaviorally, the Clockwork is very similar to the bull. In fact, fighting it made me feel like I was a Spanish matador, and anyone who's seen a bullfight would do well to treat their encounter with a Rook as one. Its most notable feature has to be the metal castle protruding from the front of its chassis, making it physically resemble a rhinoceros. Peculiarly, the metal shell is a dull red color, unlike the light brown of the other two Clockwork creatures.

The Clockwork Rook isn't an organic being, seemingly created to protect a biome composed entirely of marble. Between repeated attacks I noticed I could direct it into other objects that would break apart whenever it rammed into them. Knowing this, I've been able to use the Clockwork Rook to break apart boulders, knock over trees and even destroy other Clockwork creatures. 

In conclusion: Always be on your feet against the Clockwork Rook, being hit by so much charging steel isn't a pleasant experience. If you do need to attack it, make sure to lure it away from its fellow Clockworks first.

Edited by 23rd
  • Like 1

Hello forumgoers! As Craig has already said he's leaving the forums for personal reasons, but he doesn't want this thread to die out just because he won't be here anymore. I'll be picking up where he left off, I hope you guys like my entrees as much as you liked his.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Chester

Finally, something that doesn't seem to exist solely to attack everything around it! For once I can give a proper description without having to fend for my life at the same time.

Like the Hounds, Chester's closest real-world comparison has to be a canine. However, unlike the Hounds, Chester's personality is more like a common house pet than a wolf. He loyally follows whoever carries his eye-bone.

His fur is orange and surprisingly clean for something that lives out in the wilderness. His large, hollow stomach is perfect for storing important items in as though he were some sort of chest, and his rounded teeth make reaching in a completely non-threatening procedure.

I haven't had the chance to see him in any habitat besides where I've gone, he always appears from where I can't see him when I pick up the eye-bone. Chester lacks any sort of eyes, which leads me to the assumption that the eye on top of his bone is his primary means of sight.

In conclusion: A good traveling partner in this unforgiving world. Being able to keep more items on hand is always handy and the comfort of having a friend by your side cannot be understated.

Oh my gosh! I leave for one week and so much happens. I am incredibly sad to see Craig_Perry go. Doing this thread with him was fun, and I'll really miss his personality on the forums.

I really like these entries, 23rd. I'll get started on some pages right away. Happy to call you my colleague!

• Like 2

Bunnymen

Before I had discovered the various sinkholes around the world I had said Pigmen were the most civilized creatures I'd met. With this entry I'm giving that honor to something else. 

Bunnymen, like the Pigmen, are large bipedal creatures who live in crude housing and are neutral unless provoked. Aside from similarities in how they fight, that's where the similarities end. As one might expect the Bunnymen resemble enormous, man-like rabbits in appearance and behavior. The fluffy white fur, the cotton-like tail, the floppy ears. They've got it all in one two-legged eight-foot package.

Their diet, as one may expect, consists almost entirely of carrots. Even their houses are overgrown carrots! I've yet to run into one on the surface world, every Bunnyman I've come across lives in the caves just below the Earth's(?) crust. After some pontificating I've come to the realization that their diet of carrots must have given them fantastic eyesight, allowing them to settle their communities in the darkness where they needn't deal with the numerous predators above.

I found out the hard way that they have a species-wide hatred of carnivores. If they so much as smell that someone is carrying food made from any type of meat that person will be proclaimed a murderer and attacked. I barely got away with my life the first time it had happened, I don't intend to make that mistake a second time.

In conclusion: Never bring meat when you go into the caves, bring fruits and carrots instead. The Bunnymen are powerful allies and having them alongside you down there can be the difference between life and death.

Edited by 23rd
  • Like 1

Beardlord

I am unsure whether or not this can even be called a proper field note, but my traumatizing experience must be documented nonetheless. Having this down on paper will calm my nerves, if nothing else.

I had made the grievous error of mistaking a green mushroom for a blue one while traveling with one a befriended Bunnyman in the caves. Those damned caps have always caused me to feel strange before, but this time was different from the others. The Bunnyman who had been with me turned into something hideous and repulsive.

My companion's fur changed from soft and white to bristly and black. His voice, usually soft and unassuming, deepened into a threatening bellow. Just having him walking behind me made me feel threatened and unsafe. Even the way he fought had changed, becoming more vicious and uninhibited than I remembered.

After getting a good night's sleep and making a return trip I found the same fluffy white Bunnyman I'd traveled with the other day, but when revisiting the place I'd eaten the mushroom I found bristly black hairs scattered about. I'm not sure what to make of this, but nonetheless I find it troubling.

In conclusion: There is no way to tell if the Beardlord, as I have labeled it, was a genuine transformation of the Bunnyman or my own active imagination responding to a stressful day of spelunking. Regardless, one should take caution and do what they can to stay sane around the Bunnymen, lest they suffer the consequences.

Edited by 23rd
  • Like 1