Coal Generators ignored by Duplicants

Targa_X
  • Known Issue

I've noticed in a couple of my games now that after building a coal generator and setting it to a high priority, even though I have plenty of coal in storage, it can take up to half a day or longer before Duplicants will deliver coal to it. They don't keep it full of coal either, but let it run out, then it sits idle for another half a day or longer.

Steps to Reproduce
Build a coal generator while having coal in storage. Set it to a higher than 5 priority. Even at a 5 priority they should attempt to keep it going all the time...
  • Like 1

User Feedback

I've noticed that too, but I also know a get around if I may.

Set the priority of the coal power stations to 9 have like 6 chests nearby set to store consumable ore only and have them set to 9, anything else you want done NOW only ever set priority 8 or else the dupes will do the priority 9 stuff before they refill the coal furnace. It runs out of coal fast and needs a lot of refilling and its handy to have an abundance of ore nearby.

Hope that helps

Share this comment

On 2/23/2017 at 8:46 PM, Cheerio said:

Could you please upload a save file that has this problem?

Trying to attach a file, kept getting an error on uploading. Here is a save with the bug:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=81771427105734089260

Check the coal generator on the bottom-right. I've disabled the hamster wheels. To drain the batteries quickly, turn on the switch on the bottom-left by the thermo regulators. Even though I've mined coal and had the dupes put it in the storage compactors, and have all dupes set to "job deliver", they won't feed coal. They WILL however, disable and enable the coal generator easily enough. The coal generator is set to priority 9.

They finally delivered coal a day or two later.

Edited by Targa_X

Share this comment

I have the same problem. It only started after deconstructing my first coal generator and moving it to another room.

It's completely ignored regardless of priority setting even though there's a coal storage next to it, the only way get them to refill it is to destroy one of the electrical wires connecting it and rebuild the wire again, then they fill it up immediately.

Share this comment

I had similar issues with my last colony. Dupes would only load the Coal Generator when it was set to priority 9 even with a coal storage right between two of them.  

Share this comment

So they seem to fill it up only when the batteries connected to the same grid reach a percentage of overall total power capacity.  So if you have wheels that you jump on and wheel up the power before it hits that threshold, they will never fill the coal generators.  Just my guess, though, it's working for me now, anyway.

Share this comment

I had the same issue. Make sure at least one battery is connected directly to the coal generator, same direct circuit, not on the other side of a power transformer. And if they still don't do it quick enough. Dedicate a storage compactor to coal only, then empty it and do sweep of the coal with high priority . Make sure the priority of coal generators is higher than the storage compactor.

But I agree that this is pretty annoying, especially that coal generators is one of the most useful source of energy early game.

Share this comment

Yeah dupes do not deliver coal unless all connected batteries drop below the % threshold. if their is a transformer between it and the batteries this is can cause some problems, but there should not be a need to have a transformer between any Power suppliers and Batteries.

Share this comment

I have the same problem, and it sticks to you even after making a new match/log. So it is not something that you accidentally do or trigger... The funny thing is that it happened right after 11/17/17 patch.

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Wend-ros-y said:

ITS 2019 THE GAME HAS LAUNCHED WHY IS THIS STILL A BUG?!

It works fine for me. Are you surethe issue do not come from an other side ? 

Share this comment

Guys, seriously this has been a bug for THREE YEARS.  Now I'm running out of Natural Gas, Coal was my back up plan and now that doesn't work either, so my base in in danger of dying.  I literally have tons of coal sitting RIGHT NEXT to my coal generators at priority 9, slider at 100% and my dupes are completely ignoring them.  I also tried dismantling all but 2 of them.  Dupes will build them, dismantle them, disable them and enable them but they won't *#^%^ fill them with coal.  I don't understand why they work fine in early game but once you get to about 20+ dupes they start to break.

Coal.png

Share this comment

So after starting a new colony, I did something different.  I've kept coal gens the whole time (though increasingly as a backup to natural gas and hydrogen as those resources became available), and so far at 175 cycles and 29 dupes, they are still being supplied despite being very far from the base.  I suspect this is because -for whatever reason- I completely removed coal gens in the previous base only to decide I needed them again later.  Hopefully that helps.

Share this comment