A thing i made for Don't starve awhile ago.

Introducing!

The FLUFFY WOOLIGAN!

------------------------------------------------

(Excerpt from the original Idea when i was new to the forums and Dont starve awhile ago on a different account ((yetifoot something something))

The Fluffy Wooligan is a large beefalo sized animal that you could find in the Dont starve wilderness either in the Forest, grassland or Savannah biomes!
Finding it is not the same as finding a Koalefant or a beefalo! As its easier to find then a Koalefant-but harder then a beefalo! Why? Because only one will spawn in the world at a time!

-------
For a mob it has
700-HP
3.75% sanity AOE sanity buff when near it
pressing right up against it gives a "Huge sanity buff" much like standing near a evil flower has a mild sanity debuff but standing right "in" it gives a really big sanity debuff

-------

Killing a Fluffy wooligan gives 10 naughtiness points because its only one and it takes 5 days for another to respawn (could be less but i dunno)
Fluffy Wooligans are slightly different looking for each individual in color, they can be lighter or darker then others, and throughout all games they stay the same. 
-------
The only time one would find more then one wooligan is early winter (like 2 days before winter officially starts) and the whole of winter until 2 days into spring and then it would only be one wooligan again.

• Like 4

Yes actually, the original concept odle is a bit old but i have remade it to be a bit better compared to the original old design
(sorry for not noticing your reply sooner!, i thought it would be awhile before this was noticed but apparently not so im sorry for keeping you waiting for 15 hours omg!!)

This what i have here is the original concept design sketch with some revamping since my art style improved alot from a long time ago.

The Fluffiest Wooligan.jpg

16 hours ago, minespatch said:

Did you do a concept doodle of what it might look like?

5 minutes ago, YetiCake98 said:

Yes actually, the original concept odle is a bit old but i have remade it to be a bit better compared to the original old design
(sorry for not noticing your reply sooner!, i thought it would be awhile before this was noticed but apparently not so im sorry for keeping you waiting for 15 hours omg!!)

This what i have here is the original concept design sketch with some revamping since my art style improved alot from a long time ago.

The Fluffiest Wooligan.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, minespatch said:

A long reply would've been a week, you replied fast enough.:wilson_ecstatic:

That's so cute! It looks like a sheep-dog meets a sloth. Also giving me vibes of Little Nemo in Slumberland with the Goomps with that big goomp.

I made character quotes based on how i felt they would've been back then. 

Wilson- "Biggest woof of fur known to man"
Willow- "How dare you be so fluffy!"

WolfGang- "Is Greatest puppy!"

Wendy-"Abigal wishes she could pet him."

WX-78-"DO NOT.PEE. ON THE ROBOT."

Wickerbottom-"Its actually a overgrown ancestor of modern Shi'tzu's"

Woodie-"Reminds me of me mum's dog"

Maxwell-"What a hairy mutt."

Wigfrid-" Behold! Man's Mightiest companion!"

Webber-"We like the big doggy!"

• Like 3

These quotes are actually rather in-character, impressively so. 

Would this creature have any notable drops on death?   Does it eat anything?
Hounds and spiders eat meat left on the ground, rabbits eat carrots and berries left on the ground, glow-worms eat glowberries left on the ground, ect... 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

These quotes are actually rather in-character, impressively so. 

Would this creature have any notable drops on death?   Does it eat anything?
Hounds and spiders eat meat left on the ground, rabbits eat carrots and berries left on the ground, glow-worms eat glowberries left on the ground, ect... 

(sorry for not replying sooner! DX<)
Notable drops?

as for its initial eating behavior? Since its based off the Hound and Beefalo as i vaugely recall, it was (and the idea still is) basically a omnivore and eats meat and plant foods in DS. Basically could eat almost any food but doesn't eat cooked sweets like the Taffy or such. But you could actually stop it from eating things by walking up to it like a Beefalo freezes when you walk up to one-(So you can actually save the item in question if you want to either eat it or use it for later)

One of my intended things with the Fluffy Wooligan (or maybe in game just called Wooligan for short) was that in game it would attack/hunt Gobblers. Sometimes it goes up to a berry bush and bark/growl/roars/SOMETHING's at it and a Gobbler pops out and it attacks it and eats its drops (unless the player happened to be there and waited out the kill. (Like other animals/monsters that eat it doesnt matter if it eats it just eats because it adds a challenge for players.) It doesn't take poison damage from mushrooms, and not from POison weapons either in Shipwrecked (if it was put in there) because the fur is too thick. for the poison to seep through.

if i had to say anything special or notable that was specifically for Wooligans if they had to have special drops though-i would say Wooligan fur. 6-8 pieces of Wooligan fur, 2-3 hounds teeth and 3 meat could let you make the Hibearnation vest like how the bearger fur works, you just needed either the Bearger Fur-or the Wooligan fur so it would be a two half recipe-but lemme explain what i mean. If you didn't or couldn't have the means to kill the bearger and get that really hard to acquire drop of bearger fur and all those goodies he drops with it, you could click on a side tab on the crafting recipe for the Hibearnation Vest and it would Switch to Wooly Winter Suit which would take 8 Wooligan fur, one breezy vest or Puffy vest (because we can't have it be any easier to craft then the Hibearnation vest now can we? We wouldn't be playing don't starve if it wasn't a challenge) and 2 rope.

Much like the Beefalo, you could more pacifist-ly shave the Wooligan to get its fur and it would look like a less shaggy more groomed Wooligan and regrow and return to normal appearance in 5 in-game days, but you wouldn't get Hound's teeth or meat from it. 

Fluffy Wooligan Sitting.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, YetiCake98 said:

Notable drops?

That would be... What do you get for killing it?

25 minutes ago, YetiCake98 said:

It doesn't take poison damage from mushrooms, and not from POison weapons either in Shipwrecked (if it was put in there) because the fur is too thick. for the poison to seep through.

That could work for SW injecting poison, but how does that work for poison foods like mushrooms and monster meat? It's inflicted by eating, after all. 

29 minutes ago, YetiCake98 said:

Wooligan fur. 6-8 pieces of Wooligan fur, 2-3 hounds teeth and 3 meat could let you make the Hibearnation vest like how the bearger fur works, you just needed either the Bearger Fur-or the Wooligan fur so it would be a two half recipe-

29 minutes ago, YetiCake98 said:

you could click on a side tab on the crafting recipe for the Hibearnation Vest and it would Switch to Wooly Winter Suit which would take 8 Wooligan fur, one breezy vest or Puffy vest (because we can't have it be any easier to craft then the Hibearnation vest now can we? We wouldn't be playing don't starve if it wasn't a challenge) and 2 rope.

It might be easier to make the Woolly Winter Suit it's own separate items and give it lower abilities than the Hibernation Vest. For example, you could take away the decreased hunger drain. 

Otherwise, hunting turkeys is interesting. Does this mean it hangs around berry bushes? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

That would be... What do you get for killing it?

That could work for SW injecting poison, but how does that work for poison foods like mushrooms and monster meat? It's inflicted by eating, after all. 

It might be easier to make the Woolly Winter Suit it's own separate items and give it lower abilities than the Hibernation Vest. For example, you could take away the decreased hunger drain. 

Otherwise, hunting turkeys is interesting. Does this mean it hangs around berry bushes? 

I said what the Drops were at the bottom lol, probably should have put that at the top of the reply.

For injecting Poison i mean that the logic would be you can't apply Poison effect on it with Poison spear because the logic is the fur would be too thick, but for Simpler DS logic it just doesn't work on Wooligans.

Poison foods also have no effects on Wooligans is what i was trying to say. Hardy animals and all that.

About the Wooly winter suit yeah, that would probably be the best thing. It keeps you warmer and has no hunger drain.

Yeah, you'd probably more then likely first find a Wooligan near a berry bush waiting for a Gobbler to come out so it can eat it haha. 

VVV Below is a image that is i modified just now to show a Wooligan find as a Example Image. It also shows the height comparison between Wilson/The player character of their Choice- and a Wooligan.

Wooligan Find Example image.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, YetiCake98 said:

VVV Below is a image that is i modified just now to show a Wooligan find as a Example Image. It also shows the height comparison between Wilson/The player character of their Choice- and a Wooligan.

Nice job with this.
If you ever get your idea out there, this will definitely help.
Ever thought about how you'd get it to work with Don't Starve's unique sort of animation?  To give an example, you draw each part of the entity separately - Upper arm and forarm, leg, torso, ect. - And then tell the computer how to make the parts move. Many creatures have sort of a segmented appearance. The arms and legs of the deerclops, for example, are scribbly black things attached to a round fluffy body. Beefalo have hooves just visible under a single drawn mound of fur. 

2 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Nice job with this.
If you ever get your idea out there, this will definitely help.
Ever thought about how you'd get it to work with Don't Starve's unique sort of animation?  To give an example, you draw each part of the entity separately - Upper arm and forarm, leg, torso, ect. - And then tell the computer how to make the parts move. Many creatures have sort of a segmented appearance. The arms and legs of the deerclops, for example, are scribbly black things attached to a round fluffy body. Beefalo have hooves just visible under a single drawn mound of fur. 

actually working on the parts rn lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Ah, I see.

A thing to mention I'd that the beefalos body is actually two parts, especially when they rear up in heat its obvious. My goal is to make the Wooligan easier with a single whole body. So far I have only 2 of the "torsos" done, the rest will be challenging as all images of the Wooligan I've posted are digitally colored sketches of a Wooligan. So making one whole one out of seperated parts and then somehow animating them will be tricky. As I've yet to get a auto compiler or something similar to combine the animations as a whole.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Do you have the don't starve mod tools? I believe they come with the spriter/compiler and animator program you need. 

Could you give me a link? Lol I can't seem to find them despite hearing so much of their greatness

47 minutes ago, YetiCake98 said:

Could you give me a link? Lol I can't seem to find them despite hearing so much of their greatness

I don't quite remember because it was a long time ago that I went and got them, but they're on steam somehow. You download them for free, compliments of Klei I think. I wish I could remember how, but as long as you have the game, they should be available. Someone else here probably knows more about how to get them. I just know it's not supposed to be complicated... 

Edited by gallusvarius

On 11/2/2018 at 2:44 AM, YetiCake98 said:

I made character quotes based on how i felt they would've been back then. 

Are you going to add Winona, Walani, Woodlegs and Warly quotes as well (since it's also implied to be in SW).

And if it exists in Hamlet, Warbucks and Wilba. (I like to be thorough with character quotes ^^; )

Also are they tamable/ridable? Do they attack if provoked? If so, what's the damage and attack period?

Since there's usually only one in the world (save for winter), I assume they don't have a mating season or heard mentality. Then again I could be wrong ^^;

On 11/3/2018 at 10:02 AM, YetiCake98 said:

Ooh ooh I know! On the desktop Steam app, you hover over Library and click on Tools. Look for Don't Starve Mod Tools and Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server, download them and then the game will auto-compile everytime you open it up. Though try not to close the game during compiling. I'm guilty of doing that and sometimes it messes up my game ^^;

There's a way to compile the files without opening your game but I can't remember how that's done. You can probably find it in certain video tutorials with the Extended Sample Character mod.

9 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Are you going to add Winona, Walani, Woodlegs and Warly quotes as well (since it's also implied to be in SW).

And if it exists in Hamlet, Warbucks and Wilba. (I like to be thorough with character quotes ^^; )

Also are they tamable/ridable? Do they attack if provoked? If so, what's the damage and attack period?

Since there's usually only one in the world (save for winter), I assume they don't have a mating season or heard mentality. Then again I could be wrong ^^;

(sorry for not replying sooner! I didn't think i would get many replies to this over the weekend lol)
I've looked over their characters and i think i've got suitable quotes for them-all of them,haha.
(DST) Winona-"You're looking kinda tired there, pal."
(SW)Walani-"He's living the easy life."
(SW)Warly-"Is he beefy? Or is he hairy?" (bit hard for him due to his variation between fancy and "casual" dialouge)
(SW)Woodlegs-"Ye be a good firs' mate! Ya hairy scoundrel!"

(Hamlet)Warbucks- "A true companion worthy of any right fox hunt, i say!"

"Also are they tamable/ridable?"
Actually i was considering that as a option to be truly honest in the base game! HAHA! If they were to be tamable it would take 8 pieces of any meat, cooked or un cooked, and a character could just hop on and cling for life while they watch their newest friend run around with them on its back. (The player has control over it obviously when its tamed) There would also be a specific animation for the Wooligan to Hug the player for a quick sanity boost, which would be really cute hehe.

"Do they attack if provoked?"
Oh yeah, they attack you if you provoke em. ITs not fun either. Unlike a beefalo or koalefant who basically just give you a hard headbutt you'd either get a claw or a bite from a Wooligan. a Bite does about 40 damage, while a Claw does 50. Since there's basically only one for the whole year, it has a good defense if it's ever in a jiffy. And you better be wearing some protection if you're not a immediate pacifist-kinda person cause it will take you down in 3 hits. The attack period however is like a beefalo so its not as quick to swamp you and gives you some sort of chance to fight. THough maybe because its the only animal you'll see of its kind for awhile it should be dummed to an ATP of 3.

As for a mating season-if they were to have one during the colder season which more then likely they would it  as it would be the best time for them. It would be really bad to mess with wooligans-especially if they had Wooly Puppers. There would be Wooligans (the boys/men) Wooligrrs (The girls/women) and then Woolykids (the babies that come from a wooligan and wooligrr coming together) IF you attacked a Woolykid you'd probably be in for a Bad time, because the parents specific parents of that baby would chase after a player much like a Tallbird when you steal its egg-you'd be running for a good while until they gave up. But they'd still be aggro to you if you got too close as a result. (you don't touch the fluffy babies. Bad people don't deserve Big daddy floof and Big momma floof's mercy)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, YetiCake98 said:

"Do they attack if provoked?"
Oh yeah, they attack you if you provoke em. ITs not fun either. Unlike a beefalo or koalefant who basically just give you a hard headbutt you'd either get a claw or a bite from a Wooligan. a Bite does about 40 damage, while a Claw does 50. Since there's basically only one for the whole year, it has a good defense if it's ever in a jiffy. And you better be wearing some protection if you're not a immediate pacifist-kinda person cause it will take you down in 3 hits. The attack period however is like a beefalo so its not as quick to swamp you and gives you some sort of chance to fight. THough maybe because its the only animal you'll see of its kind for awhile it should be dummed to an ATP of 3.

You could make it challenging by making the claw and bite attacks different, and kited in different ways, forcing the player to learn how to evade two different forms of attack. Like how some of the giants do this, but at a predictable rate. 
If you made it random or unpredictable, it'd be a real pain to fight. Supposing that's your goal, though. 

22 minutes ago, YetiCake98 said:

As for a mating season-if they were to have one during the colder season which more then likely they would it  as it would be the best time for them. It would be really bad to mess with wooligans-especially if they had Wooly Puppers.

Interesting how they become a challenge in this season.

3 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

You could make it challenging by making the claw and bite attacks different, and kited in different ways, forcing the player to learn how to evade two different forms of attack. Like how some of the giants do this, but at a predictable rate. 
If you made it random or unpredictable, it'd be a real pain to fight. Supposing that's your goal, though. 

Interesting how they become a challenge in this season.

Yeah the claw and bite attacks are different. The Bite attack requires the Wooligan to run up and bite the player, much like a hound does- but its claw attack has more range because its a arm/leg, so it can swing out and still hit the player- in a way making it a mini-boss monster, and because its one of a kind until it respawns 5 days later and finding one would be quite hard-especially in a large mysterious and completely random world every time, it would be bad if it was just killed off as easy as a beefalo is. Kiting would be possible-but you'd have to know how you're gonna tackle the problem beforehand if you're a more aggressive player.

"Interesting how they become a challenge in this season"
Indeed. If a player attacks a female Wooligan-it doesn't matter which one they attack, it will cause all Wooligan males in the immediate area to attack the player, but attacking a wooligan male will have the female Wooligan it's AI paired itself with come after you. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 1:18 PM, YetiCake98 said:

Yeah the claw and bite attacks are different. The Bite attack requires the Wooligan to run up and bite the player, much like a hound does- but its claw attack has more range because its a arm/leg, so it can swing out and still hit the player- in a way making it a mini-boss monster, and because its one of a kind until it respawns 5 days later and finding one would be quite hard-especially in a large mysterious and completely random world every time, it would be bad if it was just killed off as easy as a beefalo is. Kiting would be possible-but you'd have to know how you're gonna tackle the problem beforehand if you're a more aggressive player.

Mini-boss? Like Treeguard and Spider queen. More common than a deerclops but classified as a high-level mob, and boss-music plays when combat of any kind it initiated within their area.

I think the challenging kiting is a great idea. 
Though, this makes me think of the results for killing it again. Characters have plenty of warm items of clothing to choose from, maybe look for something  unique... It can still add warmth, but something to encourage people to actually use the mod as opposed to keeping the game 'vanilla.' 
Something like 'Warmth+Bush-Hat' Or something? Doesn't have to be bush-hat of course. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 12:14 PM, gallusvarius said:

Mini-boss? Like Treeguard and Spider queen. More common than a deerclops but classified as a high-level mob, and boss-music plays when combat of any kind it initiated within their area.

Oh yeah, basically what i was going for. Plays a theme similar to the Dogfight from Undertale but it's Don't Starve-ified and more original, lol, better watch out cause if you hear its boss-music theme then it's about to get ruff in here.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:14 PM, gallusvarius said:

I think the challenging kiting is a great idea. 
Though, this makes me think of the results for killing it again. Characters have plenty of warm items of clothing to choose from, maybe look for something  unique... It can still add warmth, but something to encourage people to actually use the mod as opposed to keeping the game 'vanilla.' 
Something like 'Warmth+Bush-Hat' Or something? Doesn't have to be bush-hat of course. 

More then likely a good crafting item would be a "Hound-landish coat"
Wearing it makes you able to walk around hounds and Bone-mounds without issuethe hound-landish coat generates heat-so you might not want to wear it 24/7, especially in the spring and summer of RoG

It comes with a beneficial Hat item called the Howler hat, which lets a player tame hounds much like webber-only they cant use monster meat but rather bone shards. The more bone shards one has the more hounds they came tame, players can use gems to create Fire hounds or Ice hounds.

Edited by YetiCake98
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, YetiCake98 said:

More then likely a good crafting item would be a "Hound-landish coat"
Wearing it makes you able to walk around hounds and Bone-mounds without issuethe hound-landish coat generates heat-so you might not want to wear it 24/7, especially in the spring and summer of RoG

It comes with a beneficial Hat item called the Howler hat, which lets a player tame hounds much like webber-only they cant use monster meat but rather bone shards. The more bone shards one has the more hounds they came tame, players can use gems to create Fire hounds or Ice hounds.

This sounds like a good idea.

You could let them tame with monster meat too if you made the hounds difficult to manage - For example, attacking other characters, attacking glommer, attacking everything like they usually do, and the friendship could be short-lived. 
And meanwhile even while they do follow you, they might frisk around and run into stuff you might not want them to run into, such as they frisk around a varg. You should be able to find the coding to make it work by looking at the varg's coding, by the way. 

The reason for the negatives is, this hat could potentially allow for 'hound wars' in the way characters instigate pig, bunny and spider wars. That and hounds can be fairly powerful in hoards, at least depending on the enemy. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2018 at 11:20 PM, gallusvarius said:

This sounds like a good idea.

You could let them tame with monster meat too if you made the hounds difficult to manage - For example, attacking other characters, attacking glommer, attacking everything like they usually do, and the friendship could be short-lived. 
And meanwhile even while they do follow you, they might frisk around and run into stuff you might not want them to run into, such as they frisk around a varg. You should be able to find the coding to make it work by looking at the varg's coding, by the way. 

The reason for the negatives is, this hat could potentially allow for 'hound wars' in the way characters instigate pig, bunny and spider wars. That and hounds can be fairly powerful in hoards, at least depending on the enemy. 

The Friendship is already short lived due to hounds attacking anything that isnt a hound, that's probably the best balance for the taming hounds option. Bones and Monster meat might be better because if you're webber you can farm monster meat for hounds as bones are hard to come by-even with Lots of them selected in World Generation.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, YetiCake98 said:

The Friendship is already short lived due to hounds attacking anything that isnt a hound, that's probably the best balance for the taming hounds option. Bones and Monster meat might be better because if you're webber you can farm monster meat for hounds as bones are hard to come by-even with Lots of them selected in World Generation.

Very true

• Like 1