How do you automate your farms?

I've been trying to find a way to get delivery to farms to be fully automated, with the exception of harvesting and fertilizer station use.

The main problem I want to get past is the shipping system encumbrances, namely that there are no demand/request systems for farms to activate a shipping system from storage, and bring slime/dirt/phosphorite to the farm tiles as needed.

The only method I've found is to have auto-sweepers every 8 tiles, with conveyor receptacles within reach of all auto-sweepers. This is cumbersome, as it can limit growing space, isn't compact at all, and in the case of mushrooms you have to immerse the receptacle in liquid or high pressure.

What methods has everyone else come up with to automate the delivery of agriculture material?

22 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

I've been trying to find a way to get delivery to farms to be fully automated, with the exception of harvesting and fertilizer station use.

The main problem I want to get past is the shipping system encumbrances, namely that there are no demand/request systems for farms to activate a shipping system from storage, and bring slime/dirt/phosphorite to the farm tiles as needed.

The only method I've found is to have auto-sweepers every 8 tiles, with conveyor receptacles within reach of all auto-sweepers. This is cumbersome, as it can limit growing space, isn't compact at all, and in the case of mushrooms you have to immerse the receptacle in liquid or high pressure.

What methods has everyone else come up with to automate the delivery of agriculture material?

To be honest I haven't, but as you might know farm tiles can be delivered to from the bottom, not just from the top. So the mushroom issue kind of goes away if you build a 2-layered liquid tank beneath it to deliver slime to it. This also has the possible benefit of stabilizing the temperature in the greenhouse.

You can have auto sweepers above pneumatic doors, that way they do not cut into your greenhouse space. I also deliver all resources & fertilizer with auto sweepers and usually fill the area with CO2 (CO2 > 2k pressure if dusk caps to stop polluted oxygen off gassing).  

2 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

Huh, I hadn't thought to fill the farm tiles from underneath. That's why I ask around, lateral thinking is best accomplished from multiple minds.

If you do go underneath be sure there is a 2 tile gap between the sweeper and the farm tiles

If the sweeper is too close it can't reach all the farm tiles

aaa.thumb.png.3cc330f83d93c04302ea0870371d3e04.pngaab.thumb.png.a9b53f65b9bccadf4bcd52075308709c.pngabb.thumb.png.7d606324d35b5a45e06b9cca31ede398.png

Archived