Concerned about content maintenance...

It was mentioned earlier that Hamlet has great game design, most of us would probably agree, but there are some pitfalls

* Content in the long run still gets deleted from a save permanently in my experience, removing challenges or adding unnecessary ones, but particularly the former. I have yet to see spider monkeys come back to their residing areas, squirrels seem to have disappeared and they were by far and few to begin with that kind of wrecks balance of the free food you get from tea leaf trees, pugs don't appear to find and follow me in old areas and they don't have homes either, an owl I did not see come back at its iron nest, peagawks probably don't either and will at some point get themselves killed, poison frogs, but the worst offender seems to be the rabbid beetles as their eggs are stationary and then never come back, not sure if a bug but probably not. Glowflies stopped spawning for me after the first or so year, so that's probably a bug. I'm guessing hippo Goose can also go extinct, not to mention the grass field fire problem :| not sure about mants.

And for some reason you get the opportunity to remove content yourself if you so desire as it is just a nuisance; the bugs that you use the bug b-gone on can have mounds minhave mounds that they spawn from, but you can also mine them to death removing any and all danger of them, and making the item to deal with them have no more use? I too noted that flowers come back like in RoG, but do the exotic ones?

* Some content spawns/drops and stays where it is not welcome due to fights between creatures, which also results in a lot of free loot. This happens more specifically in the most dangerous jungle biome, or it would be if creatures didn't focus on fighting each other so much, and it's mainly the fault of the vines that are everywhere, kind of ruins the game a bit :(

Speaking of, do the vines comes back if one dies?

Having iron respawn at owl iron nests would bring in a good use for the thunderhat by the way.

* Reign of giants and Shipwrecked content where it doesn't belong, and the lack of some of it when it could be very good to have in terms of Hamlet itself; Gems are extremely rare, locking away a lot of content behind their crafting, a set piece with moggles which makes shop that sells glowberries very useful, but if you don't get the set piece or lose the hat, what purpose are they for? Same thing with cat tails and giants loot. Meanwhile, no way to craft antivenom, but you can craft the venom sack itself, what?

* Shops selling stuff you will never buy, like a razor or a backpack; once you get one or certain amount you won't need anymore really. Had 3 backpacks being sold the other time! Cycling through some stuff may be necessary to get other items in place, but some stuff is more crucial, so having more stands dedicated for one or two items would be good; a stand for flint, antivenom, mushrooms specifically, bandaids specifically, gears, cloth with vines may be in one too, and of course meat. And why sell tusks? Just have the cane instead or let us craft it in Hamlet.

I think that covers most of it, or is there something else like this that I missed? May be mandrakes, since you can buy them at shop anyway?

Just now, Charsis said:

@Zeklo kinda hard to do that when things kill them for you :(

This seems to be the main issue right now. We got the dangling vines, rabid beetles, flytraps, spider monkeys, and etc all killing each other. Pretty much every creature in the biome is hostile towards one another. I think it's cool that the ecosystem is dynamic, but it's too easy for a species to get wiped out.

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

This seems to be the main issue right now. We got the dangling vines, rabid beetles, flytraps, spider monkeys, and etc all killing each other. Pretty much every creature in the biome is hostile towards one another. I think it's cool that the ecosystem is dynamic, but it's too easy for a species to get wiped out.

It's not an ecosystem if none of them respawn in a cycle of sorts

5 minutes ago, orian34 said:

It's not an ecosystem if none of them respawn in a cycle of sorts

They do respawn so long as one of them survives, but that's precisely the problem. It's too easy for them to get wiped out.

@ansuman not really the size of the map being the problem, but

* many mobs will wander far away from their homes

* some don't even have homes

* vines and glow bugs (which actually get into cocoons so long as you have exotic flowers around, don't think it always works out however)

all this results in their inevitable death :( biomes also squished together may be should have sections around/between biomes like mossy turf between village and forest biome to insure a little bit more space for mobility.

Wouldn't say they are lacking, they have ok amount, grassy areas have beetles, glow bugs and peagawks, while savanna areas have beetles and pogs I think. Pogs could be in either biome, not sure which one. Forest only is lacking things in general.

On 28/10/2018 at 3:52 AM, Charsis said:

@ansuman not really the size of the map being the problem, but

* many mobs will wander far away from their homes

* some don't even have homes

* vines and glow bugs (which actually get into cocoons so long as you have exotic flowers around, don't think it always works out however)

all this results in their inevitable death :( biomes also squished together may be should have sections around/between biomes like mossy turf between village and forest biome to insure a little bit more space for mobility.

You are right but I would say in terms of landmass like Hamlet is 15% smaller then Shipwrecked and around 25% smaller then ROG.I don't know it felt like that.

Jungle Biome is heavily packed and all the mobs are hostile. Pretty much every hostile mob in-game lives there.

The thing in shipwrecked is most of the mobs live in water so there is plenty of space for primeape's, tall birds, spiders, snakes, merms, fisherman merms,doydoys, wildbore etc.

6 minutes ago, ansuman said:

You are right but I would say in terms of landmass like Hamlet is 15% smaller then Shipwrecked and around 25% smaller then ROG.I don't know it felt like that.

Jungle Biome is heavily packed and all the mobs are hostile. Pretty much every hostile mob in-game lives there.

The thing in shipwrecked is most of the mobs live in water so there is plenty of space for primeape's, tall birds, spiders, snakes, merms, fisherman merms,doydoys, wildbore etc.

Shipwrecked has too much space. I get it's a byproduct of an ocean world, but you could spend quite some time travel across nothing.

Archived