Recreational Room vs Great Hall

No I think it works as a tier system. For example bathrooms are latrines if its using outhouses but restrooms if they have sinks and toilets. If you mouse over the room requirements in the rooms overlay you should notice different items to be considered said room. Just add/swap the differences and its designation will switch.

3 hours ago, Oni Noob said:

I have a question, if I have all recreational item in my great hall do I need to create a Recreational room where all entertainment item are also placed in there?

From what I gathered you don't need to duplicate your recreational items for both the great hall and the rec room. For example if you built a water cooler in the great hall your duplicants will get the socialized bonus from there, so you don't need another one in the rec room.

The only real issue with making your Great Hall double as a Rec Room is that you'll be diminishing your capacity on your Great Hall, requiring you to build more of them as your Dupe count rises.

The Dancebot, Arcade Cabinet, and Espresso Machine are all relatively large buildings.  Trying to cram all of them into a Great Hall while also fitting in as many Mess Tables as possible is a bit of a headache.

Build something like this:

great_hall.thumb.png.8315d2fda29e9ca411d0ddfaf3e37a49.png

The great hall bonus only requires a recreational building to be present, not necessarily usable. Who cares if it's in the air where dupes can't use it? They'll only be spending time in there eating and getting the bonus, and spending any recreational time at the jukebots or espresso machines in the recreational room.

5 hours ago, crypticorb said:

The great hall bonus only requires a recreational building to be present, not necessarily usable.

Well the point is to get the bonuses from both the great hall and the recreational items without buliding 2 rooms. Can`t do that if the items aren`t usable. But with different downtime shifts you can make sure all dupes can use the items. Up to 5 dupes can dance to a jukebot at a time so 1 jukebot can support as amny dupes as you fit tables around it as long as you group 5 dupes per downtime shift.

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I hate it when people call espresso "coffee" even though I know it's a type of coffee

It's just like how some of the french hate it when some people call champagne "wine"

Sometimes I pronounce it "expresso" instead of espresso when it comes from a drip coffee maker, just to mess with you're kind of people. :D

5 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Well the point is to get the bonuses from both the great hall and the recreational items without buliding 2 rooms. Can`t do that if the items aren`t usable. But with different downtime shifts you can make sure all dupes can use the items. Up to 5 dupes can dance to a jukebot at a time so 1 jukebot can support as amny dupes as you fit tables around it as long as you group 5 dupes per downtime shift.

So far as I know, it is possible to do this, but it isn't feasible. The room constraints for a great hall is 96 tiles, and a placing any meaningful rec buildings takes a LOT of space, so unless you do some incredible micromanagement of space in the room, and limit your dupes, it won't be worth it.

I'm also unsure if dupes will even use a recreational building in a great hall when a recreational room building exists. I'll do a few simple tests to see.

Edit: tests complete, dupes will always prefer to use a recreational rooms jukebot or arcade over one placed in a great hall, and will only use the great hall buildings if the rec room building is fully occupied. If only a great hall has a jukebot, they'll use it the same as if it were in a rec room, with the same bonuses. All the morale bonuses are tied to the building, and not the room.

It still probably isn't worth stuffing it all into one room.

7 hours ago, crypticorb said:

... just to mess with you're kind of people. :D

I see what you did there. ;)

Silly dupes don't even have the courtesy to get out of the way after making a cup either, just standing in front of the machine and blocking others while sipping. Only one dupe gets to use the machine in a 3-hour downtime block and it's a one-cycle morale buff. It's so ridiculous it might merit the designation of a specialized 'Spacebucks Espresso Bar' rec room :D

1 hour ago, Derringer said:

I see what you did there. ;)

Silly dupes don't even have the courtesy to get out of the way after making a cup either, just standing in front of the machine and blocking others while sipping. Only one dupe gets to use the machine in a 3-hour downtime block and it's a one-cycle morale buff. It's so ridiculous it might merit the designation of a specialized 'Spacebucks Espresso Bar' rec room :D

Dupes do occupy the espresso machine for an entire break, while jukebots are 4-5 person service, but the espresso is a +4 bonus instead of +2. Most of the dupes won't need the +4 bonus, but you could make an extremely exclusive "Spacebucks Espresso Bar" rec room for astronauts only, since only they have that stupidly high morale need.

14 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I hate it when people call espresso "coffee" even though I know it's a type of coffee

It's just like how some of the french hate it when some people call champagne "wine"

LOL., i felt like i was committing a venal sin when i typed that :--p

12 hours ago, crypticorb said:

Edit: tests complete, dupes will always prefer to use a recreational rooms jukebot or arcade over one placed in a great hall, and will only use the great hall buildings if the rec room building is fully occupied. If only a great hall has a jukebot, they'll use it the same as if it were in a rec room, with the same bonuses. All the morale bonuses are tied to the building, and not the room.

It still probably isn't worth stuffing it all into one room.

Really good to know.  I have my schedules set ip for 4 dupes and slide them forward 2 'hours' so most of the time there's only 4 dupes trying to use special buildings like the washrooms and the rec rooms. Never noticed any limit to the espresso machine because of that.

damn. i havent been tracking them, didnt notice it was one per time period!

Archived