I'm really hoping something is in the works to allow for a mass germ purge.  Something along the lines of processing chlorine into a solid form, mixing with water to create hypochlorous acid and using that to wipe out germs by turning it into a steam or adding it to water.  There is so much germy water around on my base which is practically useless and I would love to be able to recycle it, plus would be nice to have a better purpose for chlorine gas.

I agree. I can accept the challenge of germs within reason but I also want a way to overcome the challenge and currently the methods we have are ineffectual and you just have to live with having multiple carriers or waste time doing basewide decontamination every cycle. Ore washers for example I tried recently for slime and they are completely useless.

It gets to the point where it is a pain and does not add fun, coming across as a private obsession of the devs. We just need something to combat the germs since they contaminate everything else.

Hence a suggestion for UV sterelizers, but we need better than this, it is not fair to introduce the challenge and then neglect necessary means for overcoming it. Germs feel like a cul de sac of pointless complexity and pathological sadism at the moment. Pointless because we have no means to defend so they cannot make their impact meaningful without ruining the game, sadism because it is all debbie downer and no peppy solution.

On 11/8/2018 at 1:13 AM, Sasza22 said:

We need more uses for bleachstone IMO. As for now it`s just the hand sanitizer and that`s a bit redundant as well.

I use it to fill some of my airlock rooms with chlorine, helps wipe out whatever germs they picked up on their travels super quickly.  I do agree it needs more uses though, maybe a recipe in one of the refiners to turn it into chlorine tablets you can throw in water to sterilise it?

I too had the issue of the germs in my water reserves a LOT of times, sinks and showers are supposed to disinfect dupes but as dupes use them, they become less and less useful. Everytime I start a game, I make two water containers, one for the clean water and one for the poluted water. I use a Water Sieve to purify the poluted water then dump the purified water into the clean container. The problem is like all of you are saying, the germs keeps accumulating in the water and there is no way to kill the germs inside than to wait for hundreds of cycles without using it or to mess with the temperature until it reaches extreme conditions. Those are I believe the two only ways possible to kill the germs in clean water.

Speaking of germs, if you haven't seen the "Outbreak" short, I recommend you to have a strong mental because the short is so good it made me want to clean my hands and mouth with soap above the sink. I'm serious, the animation made me very uncomfortable, but it's a god-tier animation when it comes to quality.

Use fluid-tanks with chlorine around. Use shutoffs at input and output. 

Chlorine will kill all germs in a fixed amount of time, if no more new dirty fluid goes in. If if recall it right, its somewhat 2 minutes. (if not, someone may correct this)

So: Fill a tank, and shutdown the input. (can be automated). The second the input shuts off, the timer for the output starts tu run for the extermination time. If that has passed, the ouput opens. 

Combine it with a pipe-sensor, you can automaticly open the input again, once the output ist empty. 

The whole setup will fit in a 4x4 room. 

I now tried a game without any of the buildings from the "Saniation" research, instead I use the basic buildings and none of my dupes got sick from the first cycle to now which is around 70 cycles. Don't use lavatories or sinks, use outhouses and wash basins.

7 hours ago, Nathan06250 said:

I now tried a game without any of the buildings from the "Saniation" research, instead I use the basic buildings and none of my dupes got sick from the first cycle to now which is around 70 cycles. Don't use lavatories or sinks, use outhouses and wash basins.

Its not the germ problem you want to replace them. Its the mood/morale of your dupes. Outhouses work, but they are creepy. And you waste time manually plumbing and disinfecting them. 

Archived