Simple idea for a building which reduces germs, consumes power and outputs heat.

Two ideas for this, on could be like the Thermo Aquatuner only it kills germs (instead of reducing temperature) in liquids and gasses passing through it. There would probably need to be two versions, one for gas and one for liquid.

Alternatively you could have a single building like the Space Heater, which outputs a very bright UV light and kills germs in the surrounding blocks depending on light distance and so acts as an ambient germ killer in both liquid and gas. The light could induce temporary blindness as an illness in dupes. That way players could construct conduits for the purpose of reducing germ loads in supplies and would need to devise ways of keeping dupes out of the area while sterilisation was in progress.

Arguments for.

Currently germ spread is a hazard from any product derived from polluted water including the geyser. Why wouldnt dupes have a building to do this when even humble householders on Earth in 2018 have access to this tech? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=UV+Sterilizers&oq=UV+Sterilizers&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Pure water from seived polluted water is very hard to de-germ. Oxygen from germy water via electrolysers spreads germs all along the gas distribution network. This deposits germs on ladders and gets into food etc. So decontamination becomes a constant timesink. 

I find the gameplay has a big sterilizer shaped blank patch in it so why not fill in the blank?

On 10/15/2018 at 8:17 PM, frogglebunwich said:

Pure water from seived polluted water is very hard to de-germ. Oxygen from germy water via electrolysers spreads germs all along the gas distribution network. This deposits germs on ladders and gets into food etc. So decontamination becomes a constant timesink. 

Pure water from seive can be bypass the germ-ridden fact. You see, if it is food poisoning, use it in electrolyser. If is is slimelung, use it to make food. Slimelung only count if breath in and food poisoning only count when eaten. Pollute water can be very effeicient coolent and can be use as heat dump when combine with fertilzer synthesizer and thermo aquatuner so you might want to keep some pollute water at hands.

For slimelung consider put slime you dig into pit containing chroline or have algae distiller submerged in chroline. It is very effective at removing germ.

For UV sterilize itseft, the idea is really great. But it would be better as a separate building altogether. Maybe a new room dedicated to this UV sterilize.

23 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Actually this gave me a new idea. Glass pipes. Let us make pipes out of glass and we can use UV to sanitize water in pipes. Or pump a light emiting liquid and use it as a light source.

I love this idea

On 10/17/2018 at 6:01 AM, Yukiya said:

Pure water from seive can be bypass the germ-ridden fact. You see, if it is food poisoning, use it in electrolyser. If is is slimelung, use it to make food. Slimelung only count if breath in and food poisoning only count when eaten. Pollute water can be very effeicient coolent and can be use as heat dump when combine with fertilzer synthesizer and thermo aquatuner so you might want to keep some pollute water at hands.

For slimelung consider put slime you dig into pit containing chroline or have algae distiller submerged in chroline. It is very effective at removing germ.

For UV sterilize itseft, the idea is really great. But it would be better as a separate building altogether. Maybe a new room dedicated to this UV sterilize.

Actually I have tried the electrolyser for oxygen from food poisoning ridden germy pure water and it is not safe at all.

In my last base I had problems with all the oxygen outlets becoming germy and any ladders in proximity to them, where dupes would pick up and spread the food poisoning and then it would contaminate them and the food they carried to their dining hall and they would show pukey animations. Basically you end up with wash basins everywhere and basewide decontamination every cycle and dupes regularly becoming carriers. 

In the end I built a long de-germing corridor which extended about 50 blocks to process the oxygen from a single high pressure outlet (for the entire base) because it took that length for the germs to die off in high pressure oxygen, then the pure oxygen was distributed by pressure gradient through mesh blocks etc to the rest of the base. But I noticed there was no way to accelerate the process and feel that if there is a challenge we need to have solutions and the germ play doesnt really offer those at the moment.

I tried the ore washers on slime ore as that is what you would expect them to handle and they are completely useless, with a wash taking a few hundred thousand germs away from a multimillion germ count. They should be better than they are and should deal in percents like 99% of all known germs ! I used slime for mushroom farming OK and if you are careful to keep deodorizers in the vicinity of the slime mine its doable.

But its a lot of faffing around micromanaging a drawback with no positive outcome other than to be able to do what you were trying to do in the first place. I question whether it is very entertaining gameplay at the moment.

I may be a bit subjectively biased because I have an immune disease and germs are an issue for me in real life but I dont seem to be the only one finding the germ gameplay not quite there yet.

I think this is most elegantly implemented with two items: glass (or potentially diamond) pipes, and UV lamps. Glass pipes would do two things: radiate heat fairly well (between standard and radiant) and allow fluid inside to be sterilized by UV light (possibly also hastens the effect as compared to just fluid on the ground). UV light is emitted by the sun (i.e., found on the surface) or by UV lamps. It kills surface germs exposed to the light, and causes sunburn if duplicants are exposed for too long.

Archived