New Rocketry Mechanics

1 hour ago, SakuraKoi said:

The calculator is simply wrong since all solid booster values are different. For Steam:

1 Solid Booster + 5 Research=> >20k km

3 Solid Booster + 4 Research=> >30k km

Proof? You ask for it, you get it:

Reveal hidden contents

20181023214655_1.thumb.jpg.700eb3ba4ddd52e8f1107b924e0fe818.jpg

20181023214641_1.thumb.jpg.169866c308e84d16e1f117336ae1779d.jpg

The calculator agrees with that.  Now try with cargo instead of research like I said.

3 minutes ago, Mariilyn said:

What do you mean? Solid boosters always add 12 000 km each. It's the weight penalty that is non-linear. As a rocket becomes heavier due to additional rocket parts, the weight penalty also becomes more severe for each kg of mass. If you just keep adding rocket boosters, at some point the weight penalty added for each additional module simply becomes higher than the added booster range.

Exactly, and that point seems to be at one best and only for light weight research only rockets.

4 hours ago, psusi said:

The calculator agrees with that.  Now try with cargo instead of research like I said.

Exactly, and that point seems to be at one best and only for light weight research only rockets.

4 hours ago, Mariilyn said:

What do you mean? Solid boosters always add 12 000 km each. It's the weight penalty that is non-linear. As a rocket becomes heavier due to additional rocket parts, the weight penalty also becomes more severe for each kg of mass. If you just keep adding rocket boosters, at some point the weight penalty added for each additional module simply becomes higher than the added booster range.

The Calculator had been updated: 

• 2018.10.23. Updated with new storage capacity and range for solid booster.

11 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

The Calculator had been updated: 

• 2018.10.23. Updated with new storage capacity and range for solid booster.

Odd.  Yesterday it told me that a 3 cargo bay petrol rocket could make 10,000 km without a booster, and can not get off the ground with one.  It still can't get off the ground with one, but without one, it now tells me the rocket can only go 2,528 km.

Yesterday one cargo with no fuel and one booster it said would go 20,000 km.  Today it only goes 8,600.  Yesterday, a cargo bay and 3 research modules with no fuel and two boosters made 30,000 km and today it is only 15,873.

Yesterday, a steam engine with a solid booster would lift 5 research pods to 20km, as you showed is true in game.  Today the calculator shows that will only go 7,348.

So it appears that the calculator was correct before, and is now broken, and my comments on the booster actually reducing range in most cases still stands.  Or did they actually change the booster in game, so it's even worse than it was before?

17 minutes ago, psusi said:

Yesterday, a steam engine with a solid booster would lift 5 research pods to 20km, as you showed is true in game.  Today the calculator shows that will only go 7,348.

You forgot the steam. That said, it would be kind of funny if it was really possible in-game to send a rocket with no fuel in space. 

18 minutes ago, psusi said:

So it appears that the calculator was correct before, and is now broken, and my comments on the booster actually reducing range in most cases still stands.  Or did they actually change the booster in game, so it's even worse than it was before?

The calculator was incorrect before. It was adding 27 000 km range for each booster but the real number is 12 000 km. Building these is not always a good choice. 

It might make more sense for the booster to add a range multiplier bonus instead of a fixed value like this. Right now, it become obsolete rather quickly.

5 minutes ago, chemie said:

Is there a way to specify oxidizer for the tank? My lox is piped and flowing but dups are delivering oxylitte too.  I am getting half of each filling the tank.

I don't know, but if you retract the gantry they might stop delivering oxylite.

1 hour ago, Mariilyn said:

You forgot the steam. That said, it would be kind of funny if it was really possible in-game to send a rocket with no fuel in space. 

Ahh, right for the steam one.  The other ones I mentioned I specifically said yesterday I did with no fuel because it worked out better than adding the fuel.

1 hour ago, Mariilyn said:

The calculator was incorrect before. It was adding 27 000 km range for each booster but the real number is 12 000 km. Building these is not always a good choice. 

No, it wasn't since it agreed wit the numbers you insisted were correct.  First you said it was wrong, these are the right numbers.  I said the calculator agrees with you, so it is not wrong.  Then the calculator changed.

Archived