Character Reworks???

Which character needs a rework/buff the most?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Willow
    • Wendy
    • Woodie
    • Wigfrid
    • Winona

20 minutes ago, Rosten said:

I seriously don't know where this stigma against Willow comes from, literally every character in the game can craft a torch for little to no investment.

Willows current purpose is to serve as a way for newbies to get used to the game by giving them help with things that they commonly have problems with (namely: Sanity and Charlie). More resistance to Overheating would be quite nice, I think, to supplement that, but her fire resistance already halves fire damage, it was nerfed for a reason

But we talking about DST (multiplayer) not DS, maybe current Willow is nice for newbie in DS but not good to teamplay because she has nothing to offer except Bernie. She and Winona needs more perks which will be usefull for teamplay.

9 minutes ago, Thalkas said:

But we talking about DST (multiplayer) not DS, maybe current Willow is nice for newbie in DS but not good to teamplay because she has nothing to offer except Bernie. She and Winona needs more perks which will be usefull for teamplay.

Yes, Willow still serves the purpose of being a character primarily for newbies in DST. Winona is also fine, not every character needs to be Wolfgang or OP78

14 minutes ago, Rosten said:

Yes, Willow still serves the purpose of being a character primarily for newbies in DST. Winona is also fine, not every character needs to be Wolfgang or OP78

Idk why u thinkg about "be like Wolfgang or Wx" ... people only want buffs or rework few characters to be more usefull.

Winona can be usefull only for tape in one or two DS months - later you have enough teeth and silks for sewing kits, Willow isnt enough good to be usefull. Both cant offer much to be useful enough for a longer game.

2 hours ago, Thalkas said:

Idk why u thinkg about "be like Wolfgang or Wx" ... people only want buffs or rework few characters to be more usefull.

Winona can be usefull only for tape in one or two DS months - later you have enough teeth and silks for sewing kits, Willow isnt enough good to be usefull. Both cant offer much to be useful enough for a longer game.

How many times do I have to repeat this? Willow is for new players, she was not made to be a late-game powerhouse. You can't argue that Winona's perk is invalidated by having tons of resources in the late-game, practically every character can be invalidated by something you acquire in the end-game (Abundance of red gems makes Wilson useless, the focus on combat raids in late-game puts Wendy at a disadvantage, access to excessively strong weaponry makes Wolfgang unnecessary, etc. etc.) The most commonly argued characters (Wilson, Winona, Willow) are all perfectly serviceable as-is.

6 hours ago, JJ0264 said:

Wicker, Wx, Wolfgang and maybe Max need nerfs

I'd argue that Maxwell has one of the most unforgiving disadvantages in the entire game. Even more so in DST since his sanity regen alone isn't high enough to counter the night armor's drain. I don't think a nerf would be necessary.

6 minutes ago, Rosten said:

How many times do I have to repeat this? Willow is for new players, she was not made to be a late-game powerhouse. You can't argue that Winona's perk is invalidated by having tons of resources in the late-game, practically every character can be invalidated by something you acquire in the end-game (Abundance of red gems makes Wilson useless, the focus on combat raids in late-game puts Wendy at a disadvantage, access to excessively strong weaponry makes Wolfgang unnecessary, etc. etc.) The most commonly argued characters (Wilson, Winona, Willow) are all perfectly serviceable as-is.

I do beg to differ on the "serviceable" part concerning the not-so-powerful characters. Willow had a core perk unnecessarily toned down on the false premise that it would be too powerful in PvP servers. While Willow still is somewhat playable, and ideal for new players, there is absolutely no reason why the perk in question has to remain this way. I can live without fire immunity, but it would be a huge missed opportunity not to employ it again. It would truly open up new strategies for a character who deserves so much more, and it was a proven power that certainly made sense for Willow.

Additionally, I think there is a huge factor that seems to be greatly overlooked that I believe influences the meta of the characters. Wilson's beard, for example, is only relevant in one season out of four, and of none in Shipwrecked for that matter. Back in the day, however, when there was only two seasons, it certainly had a bigger impact when half of the year was spent freezing to death. Had it stayed that way, Wilson would definitely had been higher up on many tier lists, and even more so if life-giving amulets worked the way they did in standard Don't Starve.

The more content there is added, the more things that are that can easily make redundant a niche character.

My take on this is that even if not all the characters are equally good, they can feel good by having a useful upside and a downside that makes you change the way you play. Wendy is no Wolfgang by any means, but she’s interesting by virtue of having to rely on Abigail for damage, and thus is encouraged to fight at night. This leaves her interesting to play with. Willow has a small upside and a downside that is either negligible or crippling depending on how you like your sanity. She’s not that interesting to use. Winona is not a bad character, she’s all upside and no downside, but she still feels lacklustre because you play like normal, minus sewing kits. I think this is the reason people were disappointed by her release, it just felt like normal Don’t Starve. Interestingly, by this means, Wolfgang, while interesting for new-ish people who still worry about food sometimes, loses his flavour once food ceases to be a concern. 

Im just going to give a verdict on the last few characters w/o listing too much reasoning lest this become an essay.

Maxwell’s really good. Wigfrid is alright. Woodie isn’t great (in DST). Webber is good, particularly if you’re a loner. WX78 is... fine? Wilson gets a pass on being unoriginal because he is the original character. Wickerbottom is good, although it’s her downsides, not her upsides that change her playstyle. Wes is mediocre, but also gets a pass for being the hardmode character.

Archived