backpack skins

I think the backpack rotting thing was so someone couldn't just drop in, make a skinned backpack, then leave, and it would persist forever.  Of course, at the time they were the only craftable skins, and none of the new item skins do that...

As for the beefalo backpack, clearly it's just an illusion.  Beefalo appear larger than they actually are; that's why they can fit through narrow 1-space gaps between walls but goats can't.

35 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

I think the backpack rotting thing was so someone couldn't just drop in, make a skinned backpack, then leave, and it would persist forever.  Of course, at the time they were the only craftable skins, and none of the new item skins do that...

Spears, hats, torches, and etc all have durability and vanish on their own. Backpacks don't, so they rot.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

What about the walking cane?

Yeah that's an exception. Dunno if they dropped the rotting thing, or if canes are luxurious enough to not warrant it. You don't tend to drop your cane as much as you drop your pack. Though I got no idea for sure.

10 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Yeah that's an exception. Dunno if they dropped the rotting thing, or if canes are luxurious enough to not warrant it. You don't tend to drop your cane as much as you drop your pack. Though I got no idea for sure.

It would also be kinda weird if an item started rotting when it's primarily made of materials that can't rot. And something else that just popped into my head: the floppy miner's hat doesn't fade away from use. It would also be possible to keep a top hat skin infinitely using sewing kits as well, although it would require careful maintenance as it is lost if it reaches 0%.

I don't know. It seems likely they just forgot about it. At least the rotting backpack still serves some function. If it's rotted, then you know it's been abandoned long enough that it's owner isn't coming back for whatever might be inside.

Archived