insulated tiles (IT) are so useless

I like to use insulated tiles because they look different, so insitead of having to check tile by tile I got a quick visual overview. Unfortunately it means that I need a whole lot of abyslate, to apoint that I am starting to wonder if I am going to run out :(

7 hours ago, psusi said:

Either side.  If it's on the hot side, then it will block the hot air from heating up the door and it will stay cool.  If it's on the cool side, the door will got hot, but will be unable to pass the heat to the air on the cool side.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is flat out wrong.  The fluid around a tempshift plate still interacts with other things around it besides the tempshift plate.  I even tried it with the plate shifted over and 'touching' the door.  The result is the same.  The oxygen heats while the plate not so much.

There is nothing really magical about tempshift plates, they're just a 3x3 building you can build in a single tile and, because of the averaging that's been talked about, they can boost the thermal conductivity of the fluid/tile they're in/touching to itself.  But, it does not change the properties of the fluid/tile to other things.

wrong1.thumb.jpg.c2469ab03cf280c0018158ace653bf5c.jpg

13 hours ago, psusi said:

Yes.  A tempshift plate forces the surrounding 8 tiles to only exchange heat with it instead of each other.  So one made of abyssalite next to a door means the door can no longer exchange heat with the air; only the plate, and the plate doesn't exchange much heat.

Ok, if so ...

While the gases themselves already have low heat conductivity. (And especially chlorine.)

Maybe they look like transferring heat faster because each tile of gas has a relatively lower mass compare to solid tiles.

But my theory is they still transfer heat quite fast because they flow, which is like convection in real world.

When the density of gas in a room changes, a portion of the gas in one tile moves into another tile, and therefore transfers heat, despite heat conductivity. (Even if there isn't much gas running out from a room, the minor density changes of the atmosphere causes the gas moving back-and-forth.)

16 hours ago, psusi said:

Yes.  A tempshift plate forces the surrounding 8 tiles to only exchange heat with it instead of each other.  So one made of abyssalite next to a door means the door can no longer exchange heat with the air; only the plate, and the plate doesn't exchange much heat.

Tempshift plates add their thermal conductivity to all nearby eligible elements (3x3), that's how they accelerate heat transfer.

Apply that principle with abyssalite and you realise there's absolutely no use for it in this scenario, it doesn't do anything.

13 hours ago, The Flying Fox said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is flat out wrong.  The fluid around a tempshift plate still interacts with other things around it besides the tempshift plate.  I even tried it with the plate shifted over and 'touching' the door.  The result is the same.  The oxygen heats while the plate not so much.

That was't the conclusion back in august.  See this and the next 3 posts:

8 hours ago, Djoums said:

Tempshift plates add their thermal conductivity to all nearby eligible elements (3x3), that's how they accelerate heat transfer.

Apply that principle with abyssalite and you realise there's absolutely no use for it in this scenario, it doesn't do anything.

And yet the game says it does.

2 minutes ago, psusi said:

And yet the game says it does.

The game doesn't say it prevents heat from spreading. "Accelerates or buffers Heat dispersal depending on the construction material used".

The buffer part refers to slow conductivity materials like dirt that absorb the heat for themselves and slow its spread overall - tempshift plates have a lot of mass (800Kg) and absorb heat like any other building. But that buffering effect can't happen if your tempshift plate has 0 conductivity in the first place.

Archived