Does insulated pipes spread heat?

I just found a cool steam vent and I want to use its water to produce electricity and oxygen, but I'm worried that it may produce hot oxygen and I want to send it to Ice biome. The only way to send it to ice biome is through my base, So I'm worried that it may spread heat in my base... Thanks!

Don't worry about using hot water to produce oxygen - electrolysers produce oxygen at a fixed temperature regardless fo the temperature of the water sent. Make sure to use insulated igneous rock (or better - abyssalite) to transfer the hot water into your electrolysers if it's hotter than 70 degrees or else you'll be slowly heating the machinery.

And yes, insulated pipes do spread heat, but they do it slower or quicker depending on what material you used. This is so because the pipe will then have 10% of that materials normal thermal conductivity. Therefore building insulated pipes from granite is still better than using plain granite and will slow the heat transfer, but won't stop it completely. Mind you, insulated abyssalite has such a low thermal conductivity that we can more or less agree that its transfer is miniscule and we ignore it.

2 minutes ago, Lacost said:

Aren't normal Abyssalite pipes just fine? Insulated Abyssalite pipes strike me as a waste of material.

No, non-insulated pipes exchange heat based on the AVERAGE of the two thermal conductivities. Insulated follows the old formula of picking the lowest of the two.

Archived