Behemoth Hatch

It started off as a request for hatches to eat regolith. @Tobruk suggested a gigantic hatch, enlarging an ordinary hatch. I felt inspired by that idea, and set to draw a new hatch type, which I dub the Behemoth Hatch:

5b9143bb6b3ec_BehemothHatch.thumb.png.f599a726b7a8a542c17f6961c13eb703.png

Imagine one of these bad boys walking on the surface of your asteroid :D. Quick question: what would it take to get this ingame code wise? If I can find someone who wants to help me with getting it ingame through coding it, I would be willing to draw all the animation frames for it.

34 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

It started off as a request for hatches to eat regolith. @Tobruk suggested a gigantic hatch, enlarging an ordinary hatch. I felt inspired by that idea, and set to draw a new hatch type, which I dub the Behemoth Hatch:

5b9143bb6b3ec_BehemothHatch.thumb.png.f599a726b7a8a542c17f6961c13eb703.png

Imagine one of these bad boys walking on the surface of your asteroid :D. Quick question: what would it take to get this ingame code wise? If I can find someone who wants to help me with getting it ingame through coding it, I would be willing to draw all the animation frames for it.

I don't think the game code is open enough for this kind of project. An example of one of many limitations that have not yet been lifted: you can make a custom sensor through DLL injection, but you're limited to overwriting an old sensor (of your choosing). You can't make something entirely new.

18 hours ago, Tobruk said:

I don't think the game code is open enough for this kind of project. An example of one of many limitations that have not yet been lifted: you can make a custom sensor through DLL injection, but you're limited to overwriting an old sensor (of your choosing). You can't make something entirely new.

Oh that's a shame! Well hopefully someone from Klei is seeing this, spitting out his or her coffee because how awesome it is, and pushes to get it in the game officially.

5 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Oh that's a shame! Well hopefully someone from Klei is seeing this, spitting out his or her coffee because how awesome it is, and pushes to get it in the game officially.

Don't worry they have modding in the pipeline. Workshop is open, but only for translations now. Just wait patiently :)

On 9/6/2018 at 5:50 PM, Tobruk said:

but you're limited to overwriting an old sensor (of your choosing). You can't make something entirely new.

This is not true. While there are many limitations, new buildings/objects are very easy to add if you use existing graphics assets bundled in the game.

3 hours ago, Cairath said:

This is not true. While there are many limitations, new buildings/objects are very easy to add if you use existing graphics assets bundled in the game.

Then why did the critter number sensor had to overwrite the germ sensor? (at least to the best of my knowledge)

@Tobruk It did not override it, it just used the same graphics, since adding graphics currently isn't friendly when using multiple mods. If you look at my mods, you'll see I added quite a bunch of buildings - there are some fancy unused things in the game assets that are usable for mods (like gas/liquid splitters) and it's possible to add new stuff with different behavior but using already used graphics (like my conveyor rail filter/shutoff using conveyor bridge graphic) :)

17 hours ago, Cairath said:

@Tobruk It did not override it, it just used the same graphics, since adding graphics currently isn't friendly when using multiple mods. If you look at my mods, you'll see I added quite a bunch of buildings - there are some fancy unused things in the game assets that are usable for mods (like gas/liquid splitters) and it's possible to add new stuff with different behavior but using already used graphics (like my conveyor rail filter/shutoff using conveyor bridge graphic) :)

Is it possible to insert new graphics and if so, would you be willing to help out with this project?

Archived