Questions of a newbie

So i play  ONI just barly over 150 cycle with 5 dupes.

Everytime i think i have figured it out then a new problem comes around a corner and pickapoo :)

So there are some question appearing for now (if answered, hit mit with it, but i could not find the answers for now )

* my lavratory seems to generate new water out of nowhere (one sink a toilet and two showers, linked with a sieve in a closed loop, but for now it seems there is more water in the system as bevore thouse blocking the toilet :(  )

* Subsequently i tried a liquid-valve do drain some water, but to no avail because if even if i set the  flow to 0gr the valve let pass all fluid

* Last  - if a new update appears (ONI telling me about 4 days) is the current map still play/solveable or do i need to start anew  to get advantage of the new thingies  (not that i mind, i am currently doomed anyway, because i had not figured out a way with the current colony to survive to 200 cycles :), either suffucating, roasting, starving, nevermind the shortcuts )

* is entropy a matter in ONI, meaning the average temperature of the map can get only higher, because of burning resurces (either KJ or coal or oil or whats on the map) ??

I hope someone can answer this or guide me to the answers..

4 hours ago, nosports said:

* my lavratory seems to generate new water out of nowhere (one sink a toilet and two showers, linked with a sieve in a closed loop, but for now it seems there is more water in the system as bevore thouse blocking the toilet :(  )

* Subsequently i tried a liquid-valve do drain some water, but to no avail because if even if i set the  flow to 0gr the valve let pass all fluid

* Last  - if a new update appears (ONI telling me about 4 days) is the current map still play/solveable or do i need to start anew  to get advantage of the new thingies  (not that i mind, i am currently doomed anyway, because i had not figured out a way with the current colony to survive to 200 cycles :), either suffucating, roasting, starving, nevermind the shortcuts )

* is entropy a matter in ONI, meaning the average temperature of the map can get only higher, because of burning resurces (either KJ or coal or oil or whats on the map) ??

1) Yes, toilets generate extra water. To resolve this, have the piping lead to a reservoir for polluted water, then have a bridge pull water out of this pipe to your water seive. Alternatively, you can do this after the seive but I find more uses for polluted water so I tend not to seive more than I need. 

Edit: I can post a picture of my usual setup when I get home. 

2) Valves need to be toggled by Dupes. So, either no one has Toggle priority high or no one can get to the valve. Most of us just make all Dupes have 2 up arrows for Toggle jobs and call it a day. 

3) The only thing you will not have by continuing your current map is deposits of Fossil down in the oil biome. I don't see a problem with keeping an existing map if you're doing well. 

4) Depending on your geysers and how obnoxious the meteors are coming from space, the asteroid the Dupes are on has a slight predilection to cool due to Wheezeworts. Obviously, lots of volcanoes and no cool slush geysers combined with heavy industry could swing it back to slight heating. But nothing you have to worry about unless you play for a few thousand cycles without any cooling systems. 

3) This answer varies with every update (beowulf already answered it for the current one). As a rule of thumb everytime there is something that needs to be generated as part of a new map (e.g. new resources, biomes, critters, geysers), you need to start a new map to be able to use them all, while new buildings, jobs, recipes are still in effect in your old savegames.

Maybe this will be even more lenient with the arrival of space missions in the current patch, since we can now retrieve critters and resources from space.

Just to be on the safe side (sometimes things get ninja-patches such as ruin locations) I try to get it answered by the devs every month when the preview ships. Usually they are quick to respond. This month we dont have an official statement, but players havent found anything apart from fossils that you might be missing out on. And luckily fossils are not a gamebreaker.

2) pipe bridge has priority over normal pipes. If you use a bridge to direct liquid along the loop, and continue normal pipe past the bridge's input to the drain, liquid will take the bridge until its output is blocked, and only then continue along the normal pipe to the drain. 

11 hours ago, nosports said:

Yes, Lavatories, Sinks, and Showers generate additional water (and...  chunks....) through use.  You will need to modify your closed loop with an overflow.  The easiest way to do this would be to simply use a Bridge to complete the loop, and let the pipe continue beyond it to an overflow destination, such as a second Sieve leading to a decontamination pool for other uses.  The Bridge will take priority for packets flowing through, so whenever room opens up in the loop packets will follow the bridge.  When there is not room, the packets will follow the pipe instead, leading to the overflow.

This is a symptom of the Valve itself.  When you make an adjustment to the Valve's flow rate, the actual flow rate of the valve will not change until a Dupe comes and actually changes it.  If you have not increased the Toggle priority in the Priorities screen, this might take a really, really long time.  But as detailed above, a Valve is not the ideal scenario for this application.  A Bridge is better for it.

It depends on the content being released in that update.  Any features related to the map generation will require a new map in order to encounter them.  For the Rocketry Update that is currently looming, as an example, a new feature is being added to the Oil Biome at the bottom edge of the map.  A new resource, Fossil, will spawn among the Igneous, Granite, and Obsidian, which can be broken down in the Rock Granulator to make Lime and....  another type of rock that escapes me at the moment.  If you continue an existing save in the new Update, your map will not suddenly contain Fossil in the Oil Biome.  But you will still be able to build Rockets and gain access to the Starmap, letting you quest for Gas Grass, Gassy Moos, and additional Wheezeworts, among other things.  You will also get access to the new Reservoir objects for gas and liquids, once you research the appropriate techs.

Not really.  There are a lot of ways that the physics of ONI can be managed to create or delete resources or heat.  The most obvious of these is the Wheezewort.  They are lovingly referred to as "Cheat Carrots" by some people, because they straight up delete heat.  They absorb gas from their base, up to 1 kg per second, and expel the same amount at their top but 5 C cooler regardless of the properties of the gas itself.  Another thing you can do is heat a gas or liquid that you would consider a waste resource, and venting it to space on the surface.  Liquids and gases exposed to space will be deleted from the world, and their heat will be with them.

So thanks for the info so far J

On secund thought it don’t seems to be so unlogical, if I add X-poo to Y-Water the the result is somewhat more as Y

So now near 200 cycles

Force digged to some polluted water reservoirs to take the sieve better into account.

Draw back slimelung……. O dear J

Trying to seal this areas after siphoning the water

But still a remaing problem is the temperature handling and the power generation.

So is there temperature exchanger in ONI ?

Thinking of cooling my water reservoir/steam gysier using it to warm up germ-polluted water so that I don’t need to heat up so much for disinfection.

I found a icy biome now, which I would thing to use as cooling the cool (haha) steam from the gysier, but for now I have no real clue how to prevent the water from freezing in the pipe if I dig too much…

1 hour ago, nosports said:

So is there temperature exchanger in ONI ?

Best way to exchange the temperatures are radiant pipes. Piping hot water through an ice biome will cool the water almost instantly and heat the biome over a couple of cycles. It`s a good way to cool water early on but stops working as soon as the biome melts.

Other temperature exchangers are the termoregulator and aquatuner. They absorb heat form gas/liquid passing through them and heat themselves up (effectively outputing the heat around themselves). They are really effective later in the game when you have your power system set up. Especially the aquatuner eats a ton of power and can insanely heat up if not submerged in a coolant.

So now i stretched do 280 Cycles, will tap into the Oil reservoirs

Playing with 6 dupes slow - but also slow for errors.....

And i could not resist i watched the whole map through sandbox mode, albeit its a fair sized map, but i think i can barely master the whole survival and then have guzzeld all the water and resources (mainly copper).

Is there a possibility to play on a larger map, thouse to build a really nice colony, as all we see in the vids and so on ?

I don't think they will fit into a map so far ????

There are currently 3 different worlds in the game. You can access them via debug mode.

The size of the default map is currently 256x384. If you want to change it you can edit the following file with a text editor in your install folder (make a backup first):

"OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\worldgen\worlds\Default.yaml"

First few lines. Edit X and Y numbers. The new numbers need to be divisible by 4.

A larger map will stress out the CPU more. The map size is this small because many players said that their game would lag with a bigger one.

Archived