Liquid reservoir

What the point to use liquid reservoir. 2x3 blocks but stores only 5000kg of liquid. I read about the bug (or exploit idk) with germs and chlorine. But other than this, what are the reasons to use liquid reservoir instead old storing? Also liquid and gas reservoir dont have automation.

8 minutes ago, Risu said:

Think of it as a long pipe compressed into 2x3 space. Not requiring a pump is a bonus.

Also, it has a green output meaning it can push liquids further into the piping without the need for a pump behind it. 

Also, you can freely put this storage reservoir (or more) into your storage tank almost doubling the capacity of your storage tanks. 

9 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

Wait a minute. 

I can just plop these down and they fill themselves from the local atmosphere? 

Then auto-pump it to an output pipe?  Do they need power?

Did I read that right?

No. You just hook them up in line with your piping. If the pipes back up, they fill up. And when stuff flows again, they empty back out. 

Imagine a 10x3 typical water tank. Put 4 of these reservoirs in the water (leaving the last 2x3 section for the export pump and liquid vent) and run your input water piping through all 4 reservoirs before terminating in the liquid vent. This results in 50,000kg of liquid storage in a 30,000kg (or less if crude oil, petroleum or any other liquid that doesn't stack in 1,000kg per tile) tank. 

Once all 30k fills and the vent over pressured, the 4 tanks will fill up. 

I only mentioned the green output lack of pump as these tanks function as priority and push just like bridges, valves and shutoffs do. 

35 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

Also, you can freely put this storage reservoir (or more) into your storage tank almost doubling the capacity of your storage tanks. 

Good idea! Since a storage reservoir needs a pump (in or out) anyways, just place it in the line of that

4 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

Ahh, OK.  That makes more sense. 

For a minute there I had visions of huge banks of these sucking in all the atmo in the asteroid. 

Which I'm sure I could find a use for...just not sure what :)

No worries. I still have visions of huge banks of these things keeping stuff in pipes so I don't have to repump everything or restack gas into full packets. :D

I'm wondering what effect these reservoirs make on exchanging heat between the stored contents and the tank's surroundings... 

2 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

No worries. I still have visions of huge banks of these things keeping stuff in pipes so I don't have to repump everything or restack gas into full packets. :D

I'm wondering what effect these reservoirs make on exchanging heat between the stored contents and the tank's surroundings... 

Always have the vision of storing gas into liquid form inside a huge room protected by vacuum wall

And this liquid storage making polluted oxygen when you store polluted water in it, so is less efficient thant other storage in this case

As noted it makes lots of polluted oxygen when loaded when full of polluted water (unsure if intended behavior) - great for feeding pufts, unsure what the pressure limit is but it seems high.

It will also disinfect contents if it's surrounded by chlorine gas (again, unsure if intended), which is handy for a sieve output if there are some hints of slimelung slipping through distillers.

Archived